The Student Room Group

TSR Bollywood Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asif007
Hi Neha,

No worries - if you need any more links or suggestions, let me know. Happy to help. :smile:

I have 3 ways of watching Bollywood movies: cinema, internet and DVD. The last one I saw in the cinema was Housefull 2, which was amazing. The comic timing was spot-on, acting was flawless and the jokes were very funny. I loved it a lot more due to the fact that I'm a big fan of Akshay Kumar and John Abraham. I'm hoping to catch Vicky Donor tomorrow (better late than never!) and Tezz next weekend.

The last film I saw on the internet was Singham (for the 2nd time) - I just love this one so much. Particularly the action sequences (which are always very fancy in Ajay Devgan/Rohit Shetty films) and the romance. People say that Singham was just a copy of Dabangg, but I believe it is completely different in many ways. The sense of patriotism and emphasis on Singham being an honest, hard-working man rather than corrupt is what makes it so endearing. Plus the fact that Ajay Devgan is a great actor and has great chemistry with any actress, especially Kaajal Aggarwal in this film and Kajol in his early films (before they got married).

The last films I saw on DVD (at home during the holiday) were Kahin Pyaar Na Ho Jaaye, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Gunaah, Salaam Namaste and Dhoom 2. As you can see, I love virtually any Bollywood movie for great acting, fantastic songs, glamour, colour and very hot actresses. :biggrin:

I loved Singham more than Dabang. Ajay's heavy personality was amazing in that film.
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
I'm hoping to do Dentistry :smile:
What about you?

I'm doin BBA at Uni. of Bath!! :smile:

Dentitry interesting!! :smile:
Original post by asif007
Thank you so much for sharing that link! I'm already following the suggestions quite closely and attempting to find them on the internet! Will report back soon when I have some opinions. :smile:

Currently the oldest movie I've seen is Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995). But part of me thinks that Bollywood movies were made with much more care and attention back in the late 80's/early 90's. Some of the best romances in Bollywood were made during this period so I will definitely find something I enjoy!

No probs
i will also send u some of my fav early 90s movies as well. You've got to see andaz apna apna. It's a good comedy movie. Karan Arjun, Lamhe are also good movies.
Reply 4203
Original post by brownchocolateice
I think you would be amazing as a mughal queen and def more than Ash. So you should def take inspiration for your wedding :P :smile:
Do you like chicken or mutton biryani more?

Aha really? Thanks :colondollar: But Ash looked stunning :colondollar:
Chicken biryani.
Reply 4204
I thought I'd multi-task by typing my assignment and watch Ladies vs Ricky Bahl. It's safe to say in 1 hour all I've done is open my text book :colonhash:
It seems to have become traditional for leading actors in Bollywood to work with the same director at least 3 times in a few years. These directors obviously share great relationships with their lead actors, which contributes to their films becoming so successful. So which of these actor-director partnerships do you think is the best in terms of success and publicity? Or any others that you think deserve the most attention? :smile:

-Ajay Devgan and Rohit Shetty (Golmaal 1-4, Singham, All The Best, Bol Bachchan)

-Shah Rukh Khan and Aditya Chopra (DDLJ, Mohabbatein, Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi)

-Shah Rukh Khan and Yash Chopra (Darr, Dil To Pagal Hai, Veer Zaara and the untitled Diwali film)

-Akshay Kumar and Priyadarshan (De Dana Dan, Bhool Bhulaiyaa, Bhagam Bhag, Khatta Meetha, Hera Pheri)

-Salman Khan and David Dhawan (Partner, Mujhse Shaadi Karogi, Yeh Hai Jalwa, Dulhan Hum Le Jayenge)

-Shah Rukh Khan and Karan Johar (Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna, My Name Is Khan)

-Akshay Kumar and Suneel/Dharmesh Darshan (Mere Jeevan Saathi, Dhadkan, Dosti, Bewafaa, Haan Maine Bhi Pyaar Kiya)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HumiT
I thought I'd multi-task by typing my assignment and watch Ladies vs Ricky Bahl. It's safe to say in 1 hour all I've done is open my text book :colonhash:

I think I've realised over the years that Bollywood movies deserve more priority in my life than studies. Many times I've chosen to watch great films instead of studying! :biggrin:

Good choice - Ladies Vs. Ricky Bahl was a pretty good film. Not as good as Band Baaja Baaraat but still a great execution IMO. Are you looking forward to Lootera? :smile:
Original post by brownchocolateice
No probs
i will also send u some of my fav early 90s movies as well. You've got to see andaz apna apna. It's a good comedy movie. Karan Arjun, Lamhe are also good movies.

Thanks for those suggestions, much appreciated. :biggrin:

I've downloaded Andaaz Apna Apna but haven't watched it all the way through yet. As for Karan Arjun and Lamhe, I can't find any copies of those via my many internet sources. So I will have to start searching for a good retail shop that sells a wide range of Bollywood movies! Will hopefully start looking in Bradford and Manchester then move on to Green Street/Ilford/Wembley/Southall. So many Bollywood movies to find, so little time!

I did pick up 2 bargain films in Bradford today though. Pukar (Anil Kapoor/Madhuri Dixit) and Daag (Sanjay Dutt). Anyone heard of those? If so, what did you think? :smile:
Ones without ash are better :tongue:
try: Rang De Basanti, Taare Zameen Par, Fashion, Kurbaan, Dil Chata Hai, Shootout at Lokhandwala, Race ... a few of my fav ones. :smile:
'Shaitaan' is also a very good movie - it's not too well known outside india since it was a smaller budget film, but it was really good.

thnx , will give them a try:smile:
Original post by asif007
Thanks for those suggestions, much appreciated. :biggrin:

I've downloaded Andaaz Apna Apna but haven't watched it all the way through yet. As for Karan Arjun and Lamhe, I can't find any copies of those via my many internet sources. So I will have to start searching for a good retail shop that sells a wide range of Bollywood movies! Will hopefully start looking in Bradford and Manchester then move on to Green Street/Ilford/Wembley/Southall. So many Bollywood movies to find, so little time!

I did pick up 2 bargain films in Bradford today though. Pukar (Anil Kapoor/Madhuri Dixit) and Daag (Sanjay Dutt). Anyone heard of those? If so, what did you think? :smile:

Pukar deserves a watch. Anil Kapoor won the National Film Award for best actor. It's one of Anil's and Rajkumar Santoshi's best films.

I've wanted to see Daag ever since I saw Raj Kanwar's earlier film Jeet with Salman Khan and Sunny Deol.

You didn't have to go to all that trouble to watch AAA - it's on youtube (2h 30 or so).

Yash Chopra's Lamhe is a film that was waay ahead of its time. Definitely worth a watch.

Karan Arjun was good.

Enjoy!

Saw Tezz the other day in cinemas. It's a very well executed, (pretty much) taut thriller that provides wholesome entertainment and possesses quite a bit of heart too. Thumbs up!.

CONFIRMED: the teaser of Kabir Khan's Ek Tha Tiger is releasing next Friday with YRF's own 'Ishaqzaade'. Looking forward to seeing Salman in such a role.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4210
Finally a place I can share my passion for bollywood! I'm more of a fan of the bollywood tunes than the actual films, but still a bollywood fanatic nonetheless (currently watching the incredible Devdas)...does anyone know where I can find a collection of Udit Narayan songs?!
Original post by shanban
Finally a place I can share my passion for bollywood! I'm more of a fan of the bollywood tunes than the actual films, but still a bollywood fanatic nonetheless (currently watching the incredible Devdas)...does anyone know where I can find a collection of Udit Narayan songs?!

This is the best place for me to discuss Bollywood films, music, actors/actresses and gossip as I don't know anyone else who loves Bollywood as much as I do!

I found a great page with some links to various Udit Narayan albums and duets. Scroll down and you will find them in the section under his name:

http://www.songspk.pk/artists.html

Hope that helps. :smile:
Original post by Most Competitive
Pukar deserves a watch. Anil Kapoor won the National Film Award for best actor. It's one of Anil's and Rajkumar Santoshi's best films.

I've wanted to see Daag ever since I saw Raj Kanwar's earlier film Jeet with Salman Khan and Sunny Deol.

You didn't have to go to all that trouble to watch AAA - it's on youtube (2h 30 or so).

Yash Chopra's Lamhe is a film that was waay ahead of its time. Definitely worth a watch.

Karan Arjun was good.

Enjoy!

Saw Tezz the other day in cinemas. It's a very well executed, (pretty much) taut thriller that provides wholesome entertainment and possesses quite a bit of heart too. Thumbs up!.

CONFIRMED: the teaser of Kabir Khan's Ek Tha Tiger is releasing next Friday with YRF's own 'Ishaqzaade'. Looking forward to seeing Salman in such a role.

I find it fascinating how you keep up with the awards and know which actors/actresses have received various awards for which films. Do you watch the awards functions such as Filmfare and IIFA on TV? :smile:

I also saw Tezz this weekend. It was pretty amazing and (I thought), one of the better action thrillers we've seen from Bollywood in the last few years. It was such a shame that there was little more than 2-3 songs in the movie though, as I would have enjoyed seeing more of the background of Ajay Devgan's character being explored through songs, just like it was with "Tere Bina". Kangna Ranaut didn't get anywhere near enough screen time to do justice to her role or immense talent - I just hope she can make up for her brief appearance with quality performances in her future films. I look forward to seeing her in Krrish 3, Shootut At Wadala and (I've just read), the sequel to Tanu Weds Manu!

I'm definitely interested in watching Lamhe, Karan Arjun and Jeet. Especially as I'm such a big fan of Salman, SRK and Sunny Deol. I will look those up on YouTube (as you advised) if I can't download them from the internet. I usually prefer to download as it means I can keep the film and even watch it on a big TV screen through my PS3, as opposed to the computer screen. But if I can't download, YouTube will be my first destination. :smile:

I'm excited for both Ishaqzaade and Ek Tha Tiger. With the latter, we've already had a taste of Salman's action-powered performances from Dabangg, Wanted and Bodyguard. So I'm more interested to see how Katrina Kaif will match Salman's charisma on screen, given that their last pairing (Yuvraaj) didn't do justice to their relationship.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by asif007
x

Asif! Seen shaitan yet?
I'm going to keep nagging you until you do btw, its literally that good
Anyone watched American Pie Reunion yet?
Original post by asif007
I find it fascinating how you keep up with the awards and know which actors/actresses have received various awards for which films. Do you watch the awards functions such as Filmfare and IIFA on TV? :smile:

I also saw Tezz this weekend. It was pretty amazing and (I thought), one of the better action thrillers we've seen from Bollywood in the last few years. It was such a shame that there was little more than 2-3 songs in the movie though, as I would have enjoyed seeing more of the background of Ajay Devgan's character being explored through songs, just like it was with "Tere Bina". Kangna Ranaut didn't get anywhere near enough screen time to do justice to her role or immense talent - I just hope she can make up for her brief appearance with quality performances in her future films.

I'm definitely interested in watching Lamhe, Karan Arjun and Jeet. Especially as I'm such a big fan of Salman, SRK and Sunny Deol. I will look those up on YouTube (as you advised) if I can't download them from the internet. I usually prefer to download as it means I can keep the film and even watch it on a big TV screen through my PS3, as opposed to the computer screen. But if I can't download, YouTube will be my first destination. :smile:

I'm excited for both Ishaqzaade and Ek Tha Tiger. With the latter, we've already had a taste of Salman's action-powered performances from Dabangg, Wanted and Bodyguard. So I'm more interested to see how Katrina Kaif will match Salman's charisma on screen, given that their last pairing (Yuvraaj) didn't do justice to their relationship.

Well, I watch them occasionally.

Here's the Ek Tha Tiger teaser. It's purely awesome Enjoy!

As Most Competitive mentioned above, the teaser for Salman Khan's upcoming epic Ek Tha Tiger is being shown in front of Ishaqzaade, which was released today. I haven't seen Ishaqzaade yet but I couldn't resist taking a look at the teaser of ETT today. The film looks amazing and Insha Allah it will become Salman's best action movie to date. Here it is. :smile:

[video="youtube;yqz5WTJMLEw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqz5WTJMLEw[/video]
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Most Competitive
Well, I watch them occasionally.

Here's the Ek Tha Tiger teaser. It's purely awesome Enjoy!

You beat me by 4 minutes! :biggrin:

Edit: The film does look epic. So much better than the action scenes we saw in Wanted, Dabangg and Bodyguard. ETT is on a whole new level altogether, I can't wait! :biggrin:

Although why the teaser didn't show anything of Katrina's character, is a mystery to me. :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm definitely not the first person to declare my love for all movies from both Bollywood and Hollywood. The 2 industries seem to be very well connected and we have stars regularly acting in films on both sides of the world. For example, Anil Kapoor appeared in 24 as well as Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol and Slumdog Millionaire. Irrfan Khan will be seen in the upcoming Spider-Man reboot and Mallika Sherawat played a role in a film called Hisss (although it wasn't very successful). Not to mention cameo roles from Sylvester Stallone, Denise Richards and Brandon Routh in Kambakkt Ishq.

So as comparisons will always be drawn between Bollywood and Hollywood actors/producers/directors/film crews, do you think the following are accurate enough in terms of status, success and acting styles in the respective industries? These are some of my opinions:

-Shah Rukh Khan = Tom Cruise/Denzel Washington/Johnny Depp

-Salman Khan = Sylvester Stallone

-Hrithik Roshan = Ryan Reynolds/Bradley Cooper/Ashton Kutcher/Hugh Jackman

-Kareena Kapoor/Priyanka Chopra/Katrina Kaif/Anushka Sharma/Aishwarya Rai = Angelina Jolie/Charlize Theron/Mila Kunis/Katherine Heigl/Cameron Diaz

-Akshay Kumar = Nicolas Cage/Steve McQueen/Jean Claude Van Damme

-Ranbir Kapoor/Shahid Kapoor/Imran Khan = Will Smith

-Ajay Devgan = Bruce Willis/John Travolta/Robert Downey Jr

-Amitabh Bachchan = Clint Eastwood/Sean Connery/Donald Sutherland

-Yash Chopra = Ivan Reitman

-Prabhu Deva/Vijay Krishna Acharya/Kabir Khan = Michael Bay/Christopher Nolan

-Govinda = Jack Black
(edited 11 years ago)
Asif! Seen shaitan yet?
I'm going to keep nagging you until you do btw, its literally that good

Very good movie, although its inspired by Kashyap's previous flick "Paanch" which ended up being heavily censored with limited release.. so Shaitan was made.

I thoroughly reccommend people to watch the trailer for Shanghai! It will definately be a great movie, made by the same guy who did Oye Lucky Lucky Oye and Love Sex aur Dhoka.. its naturally more of a critic film but the casting is superb. I will always watch a cast of actors, rather than stars.

If I see another YashRaj production with a cheese-textbook director casting chocolate boy roles with Ranvir Singh, Ranbir Kapoor, Shahid Kapoor, etc.. with non talented NRI girls I might just throw rocks at the screen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending