The Student Room Group

AQA Business Studies BUSS1 - 14th May 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
[QUOTE="HeyyImRyan;37481835"]Profit is pretty generic, I just remember it as 'revenue - costs' and then remember that the specifics are net profit 'total revenue - (variable + fixed costs)' and gross profit 'total revenue - variable costs' :biggrin:[/QUOTEI

Ohh god we dont need to know gross and net profit do we?
Just got 51 on my last past paper, phew! Just gota remember to always use information from the case study, its all there for a reason! :biggrin:
Im doing revision cards and on them I write out a sample question then answer it so I can flick through; most are key terms, so my advice is to learn the key terms!
Original post by Ashbery94
Amazing resource! :biggrin: Going to print it off and use it as a kinda check-list to make sure I know all the theory part. Hopefully I've already covered most of it but this will definitely help! Thanks!

Original post by 0range
Ahh right you're an A2 student! have you started revising Buss3? Oh and main thing for Unit 2 is to focus on your exam technique and make sure you're thinking logically, that and knowing most of the theory got me 93% :smile:

A2 and AS :wink: Long story short I dropped out of sixth form because I was a total idiot, and realised a year later that I had made the biggest mistake of my life. In an effort to change that I've self-taught all AS&A2 Bus, Eng Lit and Politics this year and am sitting all unit exams this May and June :eek: Some might say I'm crazy, I might say...yeah I'm just pretty crazy to be honest! :frown:

Haven't started revising Bus3 yet as I'm focusing on AS exams first, but only learned Bus3 a couple of months ago so it's still pretty fresh on my mind I hope :biggrin: Will get straight to work on it after Bus 2 and GovP 2 on the 21st of May :smile:

93%?! :eek: I really hope I can get these sorts of grades! :frown: What would you say is the best exam technique to have in terms of answering the longer questions?! :smile:

Original post by LastHype
I think I'm about as far from a model student as possible, but my dad owns a business and I've always read the news and had a general interest in the subject. That kinda helps, especially for unit 4 where they can just throw anything at you.

Just try and get all your thoughts down in a logical structure, and in the conclusions try and write with abit of flair and look at the business from a distant standpoint. They usually make the businesses pretty awful, so the exam is basically pointing out all the flaws.

I reckon others on here would give much better advice than me though :colondollar:

Ah that's awesome! I have a general interest too admittedly, so I'm hoping to use that to my advantage also :biggrin: Specifically for the longer question.. do you have to use lots of different ratios etc. in order to put your point across and get really high marks?! :s-smilie: That'd be my downfall I think.

Original post by jk122

Ohh god we dont need to know gross and net profit do we?

No idea :eek: But they're really actually a lot simpler than they seem. Just remember gross is variable costs only, and net is aaalllll the costs put together. That way you'll know it now and it'll be drilled in before you need to use it in Bus2-4 (which you definitely need to know it for :wink:)

Going to take another past paper either tonight or tomorrow afternoon (maybe two if I have enough time), trying to take advantage of this being the 'easiest' of the four exams because high marks in this means you can still get high overall marks even if you underperform on another exam :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by HeyyImRyan

A2 and AS :wink: Long story short I dropped out of sixth form because I was a total idiot, and realised a year later that I had made the biggest mistake of my life. In an effort to change that I've self-taught all AS&A2 Bus, Eng Lit and Politics this year and am sitting all unit exams this May and June :eek: Some might say I'm crazy, I might say...yeah I'm just pretty crazy to be honest! :frown:

Haven't started revising Bus3 yet as I'm focusing on AS exams first, but only learned Bus3 a couple of months ago so it's still pretty fresh on my mind I hope :biggrin: Will get straight to work on it after Bus 2 and GovP 2 on the 21st of May :smile:

93%?! :eek: I really hope I can get these sorts of grades! :frown: What would you say is the best exam technique to have in terms of answering the longer questions?! :smile:

WOW! that's quite a lot, you are crazy!
I haven't started for Buss3 but will do after I get my AS resits sorted!

Original post by 0range
Tbh I don't think that's as important with Buss1, it is important but you definetely need to know how to do calculations and beable to apply the theory more. In this paper there are more marks for knowledge and application then there are for analysis and Ev.

Structure I used:

Keyword
Point
What it leads to
What it depends on

^ Did that twice and just had a conclusion.

For Buss1 focus on your Knowledge, Analysis and Application!
You do have to have EV but not as much, defin still evaluate but focus on the other 3!

GL in all your exams btw, it's gonna be a long 2 months! :P
Reply 45
what does it mean by working out the opening and closing balance and net cash flow for a quarter. Does this come up a lot?

Thanks
Does anyone have the 2012 paper? Or does anyone know what topics came up?
Reply 47
Original post by HeyyImRyan
Amazing resource! :biggrin: Going to print it off and use it as a kinda check-list to make sure I know all the theory part. Hopefully I've already covered most of it but this will definitely help! Thanks!

Ah that's awesome! I have a general interest too admittedly, so I'm hoping to use that to my advantage also :biggrin: Specifically for the longer question.. do you have to use lots of different ratios etc. in order to put your point across and get really high marks?! :s-smilie: That'd be my downfall I think.

No idea :eek: But they're really actually a lot simpler than they seem. Just remember gross is variable costs only, and net is aaalllll the costs put together. That way you'll know it now and it'll be drilled in before you need to use it in Bus2-4 (which you definitely need to know it for :wink:)

Going to take another past paper either tonight or tomorrow afternoon (maybe two if I have enough time), trying to take advantage of this being the 'easiest' of the four exams because high marks in this means you can still get high overall marks even if you underperform on another exam :biggrin:

I think net and gross is only for buss2 cos its not covered in my buss1 textbook and yeah do all the past papers they really help ive done them all :biggrin:
Reply 48
Original post by Lakhvir.Singh
Does anyone have the 2012 paper? Or does anyone know what topics came up?

I dont have the paper but if you go to tutor2u theres this thing called topic tracker it tells you the topics which have come up in each exam its got jan 2012 aswell :biggrin:
Reply 49
Is everyone here retaking unit 1? I am :colondollar:
Original post by jk122
Is everyone here retaking unit 1? I am :colondollar:

Thanks! I'm retaking this exam! :redface:
Reply 51
Original post by Lakhvir.Singh
Thanks! I'm retaking this exam! :redface:

Ohh ok what did you get first time round?? I got a C :eek:
Reply 52
Original post by jk122
I dont have the paper but if you go to tutor2u theres this thing called topic tracker it tells you the topics which have come up in each exam its got jan 2012 aswell :biggrin:

The BUSS1 Topic Tracker can be downloaded from here:

http://tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/business-studies/comments/aqa-as-business-buss1-exam-topic-tracker

Jim
Reply 53
Original post by bkhan
what does it mean by working out the opening and closing balance and net cash flow for a quarter. Does this come up a lot?
Thanks

You might occasionally be asked to complete a cash flow forecast; although it is much more likely that you have to interpret the information given in one (e.g. consider the need for a bank overdraft)

Opening balance = the amount of cash that a business has at the start of a quarter (e.g. £10,000 on 1 Jan)

Closing balance = the amount of cash that a business has at the end of a quarter (e.g. £50,000 on 31 Mar)

The net cash flow for a quarter is the difference between the opening and closing balance - e.g. £50,000 at the end less £10,000 at the start must mean that, overall, the net cash coming into the business during the quarter was £40,000

Jim
Reply 54
Original post by 0range
For Buss1 focus on your Knowledge, Analysis and Application!
You do have to have EV but not as much, defin still evaluate but focus on the other 3!

In BUSS1 there will be two questions (11 marks or more) which provide up to 5 marks for evaluation.

Any question with 10 or less marks does not require you to show any evaluation

Jim
Reply 55
Original post by Jim Riley
In BUSS1 there will be two questions (11 marks or more) which provide up to 5 marks for evaluation.

Any question with 10 or less marks does not require you to show any evaluation

Jim

Hey whats a good way of starting of a conclusion? :smile:
Reply 56
Tried to find a thread about this exam but couldn't...if you've got any questions post them here and I'll try to answer them :smile:

I feel like I'm well prepared for it, but I'm still nervous at the same time, and keep worrying theres something I've missed.
Reply 57
what do you think will come up in?
Reply 58
Usual layout probably;

Q1 will have some definitions, probably a calculation of some sort and an 'explain' question.

Q2 will be the usual: CAA, CAAE, CAAE questions.

Without seeing the unit 1 paper from January 2012 I can't really predict though, unless you've got a link to it?

Quick Reply