The Student Room Group

What area of Pharmacy?

I was just wondering what the guys due to start in September 2012 thought about the field of Pharmacy they wish to pursue as a career? Personally, I am thinking about doing hospital pharmacy as I think it offers a more interesting job than community and has a lot of person to person interaction which Industry won't really offer.
Ahahahaha, this has just reminded me that I will be a student in September! Scary thought, I might faint. :lol:

Hyperness aside, I don't really know. I've got no experience with hospital so I can't comment, community seemed pretty cool, but my family and friends all say they can imagine me going into industry. I doubt I'd be any good at that though. Is anyone else terrified of messing up when they actually become a pharmacist? I have this terror that I'm going to mess up someones prescription or something.
Reply 2
I feel like I want to go into Hospital too, there seems like more of a career progression there and there are more interesting specialities. I also prefer the idea of working as a team of pharmacists rather than as the only one on the premises. Also thought medical law sounds interesting :s-smilie:
Think at the moment I feel in an ideal world I would work at a hospital and do a regular locum once a week in community but who knows. I would quite like to spend time volunteering abroad but thats not a career.

Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Ahahahaha, this has just reminded me that I will be a student in September! Scary thought, I might faint. :lol:

Hyperness aside, I don't really know. I've got no experience with hospital so I can't comment, community seemed pretty cool, but my family and friends all say they can imagine me going into industry. I doubt I'd be any good at that though. Is anyone else terrified of messing up when they actually become a pharmacist? I have this terror that I'm going to mess up someones prescription or something.

I'm so excited too :biggrin:
I also get that feeling though on realising in a few years rather than going "Right, I'll just check with the pharmacist" I will be the pharmacist, it's a slightly scary thought.
Original post by AmberCD
I feel like I want to go into Hospital too, there seems like more of a career progression there and there are more interesting specialities. I also prefer the idea of working as a team of pharmacists rather than as the only one on the premises. Also thought medical law sounds interesting :s-smilie:
Think at the moment I feel in an ideal world I would work at a hospital and do a regular locum once a week in community but who knows. I would quite like to spend time volunteering abroad but thats not a career.

I'm so excited too :biggrin:
I also get that feeling though on realising in a few years rather than going "Right, I'll just check with the pharmacist" I will be the pharmacist, it's a slightly scary thought.

I can't wait to go to uni now, last week I was having a huge crisis over school ending, still got another week but I'm comforting myself by planning for September. :lol: Haha, yeah, all that power! I'll probably just end up walking around telling my family and friends what they should be taking. :lol: Imagine, if everything goes well, we'll all be qualified pharmacists in about 5 years. Eeeeek!
Reply 4
I can't wait to go to uni now, last week I was having a huge crisis over school ending, still got another week but I'm comforting myself by planning for September. :lol: Haha, yeah, all that power! I'll probably just end up walking around telling my family and friends what they should be taking. :lol: Imagine, if everything goes well, we'll all be qualified pharmacists in about 5 years. Eeeeek!

:crossedf:
I don't go on study leave till the day of my first exam on May 31st, which makes so much sense..
I'm really excited for freshers but also a lot for buying stuff for my kitchen which is perhaps a little sad :cool: and not looking forward to the reality of not being able to keep a couple of musical instruments in my room and not being able to afford nice cheese.. again a little sad :colondollar:
2017 seems a long way off, though to be honest I'm glad, I don't want to grow up yet (well any more than being a Uni student entails)!

Anywayyy feel like this is hijacking this thread!:topic: :tongue:
I think hospital pharmacy may be interesting, because of the people you get to work with plus there'll be more interaction with the patients. I'm not sure though, cause I only volunteered at a retail pharmacy and that was pretty boring it was more of the same type of customers day in and day out.

Yes, I have that same fear of messing up too! :redface: Hopefully it'll be alright by the time we graduate!
Reply 6
Original post by oliviagunapalan
I think hospital pharmacy may be interesting, because of the people you get to work with plus there'll be more interaction with the patients. I'm not sure though, cause I only volunteered at a retail pharmacy and that was pretty boring it was more of the same type of customers day in and day out.

This is the same reason I fancy hospital pharmacy. It also seems like there is more variation.

It's fine! You don't get to write prescriptions so you can't mess them up! The only thing you can do is miss a mistake on the Rx or dispense the wrong drug and kill someone, potentially ruining your life and the life of your patient and their friends and family... No pressure :biggrin:

(2nd year pharmacy student :wink:)
Original post by Chilledice
It's fine! You don't get to write prescriptions so you can't mess them up! The only thing you can do is miss a mistake on the Rx or dispense the wrong drug and kill someone, potentially ruining your life and the life of your patient and their friends and family... No pressure :biggrin:

(2nd year pharmacy student :wink:)

That's a comfort...:lol: Hopefully my fear of not killing people will stop me from making mistakes. :tongue:
Reply 9
apparently industry is soul destroyingly dull and if you aren't an outgoing social working with other like-minded socials in the work place (you know, the happy happy people who always seem to have fun no matter how boring something is) it will lead you to an early death.
That's a comfort...:lol: Hopefully my fear of not killing people will stop me from making mistakes. :tongue:

That and 5 years of training pre-registration!
Original post by Ilyas
apparently industry is soul destroyingly dull and if you aren't an outgoing social working with other like-minded socials in the work place (you know, the happy happy people who always seem to have fun no matter how boring something is) it will lead you to an early death.

Really? I quite fancied industry. But I do like talking to people now and then...:lol:

Original post by Chilledice
That and 5 years of training pre-registration!

5 years of pre-reg?! I thought it was one year?! :eek:
Reply 12
Original post by Ilyas

Just the word industry sounds soul destroying :lol:

I can imagine a line of pharmacists just packing boxes....nothing else, for 6 hors straight :tongue:

Fun!
Reply 13
I want to do like Community, Hospital or Industry. But what I would really like to do is go in to healthcare politics, and Ban stuff like trans fats.

Furthermore EDUCATE the masses on what is good for you and what isnt. BAD=PROCESSED(Usually)
Not much natural is bad for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
5 years of pre-reg?! I thought it was one year?! :eek:

training and pre-reg is what I meant to type. Sorry!

(4 year MPharm, 1 year pre-reg)

However, if you do hospital pharmacy you will spend a lot of time in training post-graduation, you'd just be registered at this point!

Quick Reply

Latest