The Student Room Group

aqa history tsarist russia jan 2012

Anyone know what questions were on the Jan 2012 tsarist russia AQA exam? Thank you in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1) why did populism fail in Russia in the 1870s
2)how far did growth of internal opposition threaten the Tsarist regime in the years 1881 to 1904

1)explain why revolution broke out in russia in 1905
2)how successful were stolypin's policies in restoring stability in Russia in the years 1906 to 1914

1) explain why the bolsheviks ahd little support in Russia in 1914
2)how important were military problems in explaining the Tsar's decision to abdicate in Feb/march 1917?

:smile: welcome
how is your revision going so far? i am assuming you are taking the exam on tuesday? i am soooo scared i have so much left to learn its terrifying and there is no time to write the essays!! a mark a minute!!
Reply 2
Im doing this exam as well on Tuesday 15th. I'm definitely not ready for it! I'm really worried that I wont be able to bring up the key points that we need to bring up.

Any one have any ideas on what they think might come up?

But looking at the grade boundaries thus far, the average is like 52/72 for an A in this exam. So thats a drop of 20 marks.

How are you guys doing?
Reply 3
Original post by ABCstudent
2)how far did growth of internal opposition threaten the Tsarist regime in the years 1881 to 1904

2)how successful were stolypin's policies in restoring stability in Russia in the years 1906 to 1914

2)how important were military problems in explaining the Tsar's decision to abdicate in Feb/march 1917?

how is your revision going so far? i am assuming you are taking the exam on tuesday? i am soooo scared i have so much left to learn its terrifying and there is no time to write the essays!! a mark a minute!!

Yeah I am. I'm really screwed! I started actual revision yesterday and its taking me ages learning everything! AAAAHHHH!
Reply 4

Also thank you so much, really helpful :smile:
Reply 5
is everyone learning the aims of all the opposition etc?
Any good tips for the exam? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by shaminn
Im doing this exam as well on Tuesday 15th. I'm definitely not ready for it! I'm really worried that I wont be able to bring up the key points that we need to bring up.

Any one have any ideas on what they think might come up?

But looking at the grade boundaries thus far, the average is like 52/72 for an A in this exam. So thats a drop of 20 marks.

How are you guys doing?

same I'm concentrating on chemistry and biology today and tomorrow, and gonna do history after my bio exam on monday. SO MUCH TO LEARN, i know no dates and i haven't read After 1905 yet :s-smilie: and i HATE opposition.
Well i have a feeling that they'll ask about how successful Alexander II was in liberating Russia because they usually switch between alex2nd's successfulness and opposition successfulness for first section. and they'll probably ask about witte and I HOPE the provisional government :smile:
glad to know many ppl are procrastinating on the student room to avoid revision like me :biggrin: haha
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm sitting this one on Tuesday as well, it will be my third attempt at it! Haha

Anyways last time i did it i got 57 according to my results sheet, that was a D but someone posted earlier that 52 is an A? Guess my actual marks were half that or something right?

Anyways i think my problem has always been knowing my stuff, last two times i found it hard to pick which questions to do because i felt i didn't know enough to be able to answer them well so right now i'm going through the book again and my notes and just getting it all together in my head.
Reply 8
Original post by Mr Paranoid
I'm sitting this one on Tuesday as well, it will be my third attempt at it! Haha

Anyways last time i did it i got 57 according to my results sheet, that was a D but someone posted earlier that 52 is an A? Guess my actual marks were half that or something right?

Anyways i think my problem has always been knowing my stuff, last two times i found it hard to pick which questions to do because i felt i didn't know enough to be able to answer them well so right now i'm going through the book again and my notes and just getting it all together in my head.

A 57 might be your UMS mark? That might explain why you got a D. If you got 57 MARKS out of 72, then thats a good A. That's probably what it was.

How hard do you find the exam? I'm beyond stressed out and haven't been able to take much in :/
Reply 9
Original post by shaminn
A 57 might be your UMS mark? That might explain why you got a D. If you got 57 MARKS out of 72, then thats a good A. That's probably what it was.

How hard do you find the exam? I'm beyond stressed out and haven't been able to take much in :/

Yeah must be my UMS, haha! I don't find it hard when i'm reading through the book and what not, it all seems to make sense. I think i just don't seem to know it well enough, certainly not when i get in the exam. I find that there's usually only one of the questions which i'm really confident on and then i have to wing one of the other two. Thats why at the moment i'm just going through the book and reading everything, hoping to get some of the stuff i don't know so well a bit more clear in my mind. Think i might do a few practise questions too but i won't be able to get them marked by my teachers before the exam so not too sure whether it'll be that useful to do them.

I'm not too stressed out really, but i know i need to do a lot better then i have done before, that kind of pressure is getting to be a little i think.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Yeah must be my UMS, haha! I don't find it hard when i'm reading through the book and what not, it all seems to make sense. I think i just don't seem to know it well enough, certainly not when i get in the exam. I find that there's usually only one of the questions which i'm really confident on and then i have to wing one of the other two. Thats why at the moment i'm just going through the book and reading everything, hoping to get some of the stuff i don't know so well a bit more clear in my mind. Think i might do a few practise questions too but i won't be able to get them marked by my teachers before the exam so not too sure whether it'll be that useful to do them.

I'm not too stressed out really, but i know i need to do a lot better then i have done before, that kind of pressure is getting to be a little i think.

Yeah that's understandable and i agree with you! I seem to know like one section of the exam paper and the rest is just insanely difficult for me. I have this thing where i can't really get my knowledge down on the paper really well or choose the right points for the question, so it lets me down quite a bit. Hopefully all goes well and i don't have to worry about it.
Original post by shaminn
Yeah that's understandable and i agree with you! I seem to know like one section of the exam paper and the rest is just insanely difficult for me. I have this thing where i can't really get my knowledge down on the paper really well or choose the right points for the question, so it lets me down quite a bit. Hopefully all goes well and i don't have to worry about it.

Yep, hopefully it'll go fine. Think i'll just keep going through the book and my notes to try and get all the content into my head, i know how i should be answering the questions so it's just a case of knowing which points need putting in i think. Hope it all goes well for you!
Reply 12
AHHH so scared for this exam.

Quick Question if anyone could help me with I would much appreciate it:

Do you think that I shouldn't learn about Stolypins Agrarian reforms because it was on the last paper. It's just I have a biology resit on Monday and Chemistry on Tuesday so trying to limit the amount I have to learn

HELPPP!
Reply 13
Yep, hopefully it'll go fine. Think i'll just keep going through the book and my notes to try and get all the content into my head, i know how i should be answering the questions so it's just a case of knowing which points need putting in i think. Hope it all goes well for you!

One question though, how do you go about answering the question? for example, how many points to do you make for and against etc. Would be very useful to know from someone who has done it before.
Thanks.
Reply 14
Original post by HamzahK21

Do you think that I shouldn't learn about Stolypins Agrarian reforms because it was on the last paper. It's just I have a biology resit on Monday and Chemistry on Tuesday so trying to limit the amount I have to learn

HELPPP!

Something usually comes up about Stolypin or just the idea of modernisation or economic improvements etc, and for that, Stolypin and Agrarian reforms usually come up. Be on the safe side and try to skim over it just in case it does come up. I still have to go over it along with everything after that section :/ So screwed.
Original post by shaminn
One question though, how do you go about answering the question? for example, how many points to do you make for and against etc. Would be very useful to know from someone who has done it before.
Thanks.

There's no set number really i don't think. Usually i try and go for about 3 but it often ends up as 3 points for the side i agree with and 2 for the other side. Also for me thats usually a paragraph for each point, i think you could probably do more points but i like to do this number because it mean i won't run out of time. Obviously take this with a pinch of salt considering i got a D last time haha!
Original post by HamzahK21

HELPPP!

It won't do you any harm; Stolypin's agrarian reforms are pretty transferrable in terms of what essays you can use them in, so they're mightily useful; you can use them in questions about the economy, provided that it fits in with the time period, you can use them in questions about how Stolypin/the Tsarist regime restored stability post 1905, and you can of course use them if AQA throw in any nasty questions asking specifically about agriculture.
The best thing about them is that they're pretty easy to remember, try making an essay plan and bringing evidence about the agrarian reforms into it, that way you're pretty much guaranteed to remember it because rather than just reading it or writing it, you're USING it. The same obviously goes for all the other pieces of evidence. Anyway, good luck.
Reply 17
Anyone have any predictions for the exam?
I reckon emancipation might come up as question one. I hope so, i think i'm ok with that haha! I reckon something about industry and Vyshnegradsky and Witte might come up as question 2 as well. Not sure about question 3 though to be honest.
Reply 19
I reckon emancipation might come up as question one. I hope so, i think i'm ok with that haha! I reckon something about industry and Vyshnegradsky and Witte might come up as question 2 as well. Not sure about question 3 though to be honest.

Yeah i know what you mean, i would be really happy if economy didn't come up. I suck at it. I'm actually hoping for opposition and emancipation questions. If not, there goes applying to Warwick ¬_¬

Quick Reply