The Student Room Group

Is this enough for Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tsunami2011
Do you not think 17 on the LNAT was reason enough for them to reject you? UCL typically look for at least 20, even Nottingham specify 20 as their cut off point, but people do get in with less for a range of reasons.

Sorry I forgot to say - when I asked the woman on the phone whether it was my LNAT score that was a problem (hoping she'd say yes), she said, 'no, there wasn't a problem' with my score - she then just said about the immense competition for places (the generic message). I understand that 17 is a poor score , I just would have liked them to be clear in that sense if that was the reason for issuing a rejection, instead of saying that it wasn't a weak point in my application.
Original post by roh
LNAT? And I've not heard of anywhere give real feedback other than med if you got called for interview. Even Oxbridge, who've invested plenty of time and effort in interviewing you, usually give generic 'this year we had a lot of strong candidates (no s**t) etc.' stuff.

I had one where I applied for my course (Law with French), they then informed us the course was being pulled due to cost but that we'd all be put into consideration for the straight LLB. I then got rejected in spite of my 'strong performance in other areas' because my PS 'lacked sufficient focus on law alone'. Obvious reason for this which was distinctly not my fault, but shows how little they pay attention to feedback.

Cambridge gave me clear feedback (on inquiry) which I damn well appreciated. But yer, in general universities don't give clear feedback - as UCL told me, they don't give feedback (for Law) as it would be an 'arduous' task, that would require a lot of resources.

Wow, how tremendously unfair is that! What university was that?
Reply 42
I wish I'd got proper feedback from Oxford. I requested feedback and all I got was a generic email. Other colleges gave proper feedback though -.-
Reply 43
Original post by KnowstheLaw
Cambridge gave me clear feedback (on inquiry) which I damn well appreciated. But yer, in general universities don't give clear feedback - as UCL told me, they don't give feedback (for Law) as it would be an 'arduous' task, that would require a lot of resources.

Wow, how tremendously unfair is that! What university was that?

Durham. They were rejecting pretty much everyone from my college that year though other than a handful of absolute standouts (who all went to Oxbridge) and a couple of GB schoolboy rugby players who'd contacted the coach etc. beforehand so probably had some dispensation, so I suspect that might have been the reason as much as my PS. College has started to get people in since so my year might have just been spectacularly unlucky and I'm sure there were plenty of equally strong candidates, such is life.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bea492
I wish I'd got proper feedback from Oxford. I requested feedback and all I got was a generic email. Other colleges gave proper feedback though -.-

Cambridge's feedback was really good, they went into alot of detail about the interview. But its written in a way that it could still be generic, since they obviously don't discuss your exact answers!

Not sure if missing out on a place by the narrowest of margins should make me happy or cry.
Reply 45
Cambridge's feedback was really good, they went into alot of detail about the interview. But its written in a way that it could still be generic, since they obviously don't discuss your exact answers!

Not sure if missing out on a place by the narrowest of margins should make me happy or cry.

Determined to smash a First, go back and rub it their face by getting their LLM offer and turning it down for the BCL?

Productive yet vindictive!
Original post by roh
Determined to smash a First, go back and rub it their face by getting their LLM offer and turning it down for the BCL?

Haha, I too aspire to do exactly the same :tongue:

There's just something about the BCL at Oxford that sounds so appealing. I know the current Director of the DPP and Head of the CPS, Keir Starmer, got a first in Law from Leeds, and then went do the BCL at Oxford. Seems like its a very highly regarded and well sought after, post grad degree In law, certainly.

On the subject of Durham - don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic university with undoubtedly a good Law school - but I just wouldn't wanna go there, as it would remind me too much of what could have been... That is oxbridge i'm referring to of course :wink:
Reply 47
I was so angered that Oxford suggested all who were unsuccessful at interview should have a good time somewhere else, get a first and come back for postgrad. Some of us won't have 20k to spend on such things after an undergrad! :frown:
Original post by roh

I doubt I'll enjoy Law enough to take it to that stage, and I don't want to be a barrister.:s-smilie:
Reply 49
Original post by KnowstheLaw
Haha, I too aspire to do exactly the same :tongue:

There's just something about the BCL at Oxford that sounds so appealing. I know the current Director of the DPP and Head of the CPS, Keir Starmer, got a first in Law from Leeds, and then went do the BCL at Oxford. Seems like its a very highly regarded and well sought after, post grad degree In law, certainly.

On the subject of Durham - don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic university with undoubtedly a good Law school - but I just wouldn't wanna go there, as it would remind me too much of what could have been... That is oxbridge i'm referring to of course :wink:

Original post by Bea492
I was so angered that Oxford suggested all who were unsuccessful at interview should have a good time somewhere else, get a first and come back for postgrad. Some of us won't have 20k to spend on such things after an undergrad! :frown:

I doubt I'll enjoy Law enough to take it to that stage, and I don't want to be a barrister.:s-smilie:

@KnowstheLaw: BCL seems to be where it's at for the top end of the Bar, though think Cam's significantly better for international law. However, in the game of academic top trumps that is their CVs I think if you could get the Fulbright and go do the Harvard LLM that would top it.

Also, it is apparently savagely hard. My old personal tutor did it and described it as the hardest year of his life. This guy had an Oxford First in Law with French, a Masters in Political Sciences from Montpellier (where you do 40 odd hours lectures per module and the exam is 3 hours on the topic of one lecture with no choice of questions at all :s) and a PhD so he knew what work was and felt that was as hard as it got. Worth a shot though if you want to be Barrister.

@Bea: Oxbridge are loaded, there's usually a few scholarships floating around for the BCL and firms sometimes pay for you to do shorter courses in things like IP once you're qualified.

@Tsunami: Sounds the best option :tongue: Hardly anyone I know wants to do post grad law, and whilst anyone you know who does it is still slaving away in a freezing cold house share you could have a TC with Jones Day on 50k a year :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending