The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't understand why I received negative reps for my comment. The question is 'should gay people be allowed to adopt' and my personal opinion is no, I understand people who are saying yes, but this is a debate so I responded to it. :smile:
Original post by thescientist17
I don't understand why I received negative reps for my comment. The question is 'should gay people be allowed to adopt' and my personal opinion is no, I understand people who are saying yes, but this is a debate so I responded to it. :smile:

I suppose if you based your opinion on something other than a feeling, people may have respected your point of view..
Original post by WantCakeGetCake
I suppose if you based your opinion on something other than a feeling, people may have respected your point of view..

Feelings are important too.
It's just my view.
It's just my view.

Of course they are, feelings are quite important, but at the same time, I think the feelings of someone like Zach, are more important than yours...
It's just my view.

Feelings can be important. But I don't like bananas, and that isn't good enough for them to be outlawed because science says they're not harmful.
Edit: Don't neg me, quote me and debate it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1025
It's just my view.

Have all the feelings you want, by all means. However, you can't expect people's lives to be governed by somebody else's feelings.
Original post by mmmpie
Have all the feelings you want, by all means. However, you can't expect people's lives to be governed by somebody else's feelings.

I'm not saying that. As I said it's just my opinion and most people disagree with me but that's fine.
I really do not understand how people feel they can speak out against this issue having had no contact whatsoever with someone that has been raised by a gay couple.
I can't see it being any worse than the foster care system is all I can say. I doubt it would be in any way worse than a family of a straight couple.
Lets face it gay adoption does not effect you in any way, so why be against it? It's not going to kill anyone.
Original post by green.tea
There are many example of know it alls like you going against nature and causing problems that were unforeseeable and unobservable in the short term.

Uh....what?

Lets face it. Your obvious bias on this issue means your going to argue in favour no matter what. Like the climate change lot you and your leftist peers are only interested in publishing research that supports a position decided upon because of politics rather than desire to ascertain the truth. Your obvious lack of impartiality means your views are intellectually dishonest and hold little value in this debate.

Lol right. Show my bias. I have been waiting for you to provide some kind of evidence to support your opinion. And 'common sense' doesn't cut it. So you are clearly the one with a lack of impartiality, since you won't even look at evidence provided to you, not to mention your complete lack of understanding of peer-review and what constitutes a credible piece of evidence.
People dont get bullied for intelligence. :rolleyes: They get bullied for the sort off personality that often goes along with it. Having debated with you i dont think your all that bright fwiw.

What do you mean people don't get bullied for intelligence? Yes they do. :confused: People get bullied for all kinds of things.

1v1 = fair. Bullying is the main body of the class vs 1.

You clearly don't know what bullying is. :colonhash:

Im saying that bullying is largely down to the personality of a person. Which isnt exactly opposing you on this issue.

If that were true then children of homosexual parents wouldn't be any more subject to bullying than anyone because your parents are not part your personality. Way to go against your own argument.

That research done by people that arent left leaning academics in fields like sociology shows the need for mothers and fathers.

Still waiting for said research.
I'm not saying that. As I said it's just my opinion and most people disagree with me but that's fine.

The vast majority of people oppose it, myself included.

Some will look at this poll and say in contrast the majority approve of gay adoption because of this little online internet poll. However the internet on these topics only really proportionally attracts a fringe of people who this topic for example is really important to. As you can see there are a lot of gays themselves on this thread, and a lot of liberal quacks. Such people might be the majority on the internet on places such as this, but in the real world they are the extreme minority. The mainstream public doesn't approve of homosexuality, let alone gay adoption. Virtually no one wants to see two gays kissing on the street.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Pyramidologist

Some will look at this poll and say in contrast the majority approve of gay adoption because of this little online internet poll. However the internet on these topics only really proportionally attracts a fringe of people who this topic for example is really important to. As you can see there are a lot of gays themselves on this thread, and a lot of liberal quacks. Such people might be the majority on the internet on places such as this, but in the real world they are the extreme minority. The mainstream public doesn't approve of homosexuality, let alone gay adoption. Virtually no one wants to see two gays kissing on the street.

And where are you getting these broad assumptions from? We can see you have a good track record on this thread making statements that you don't back up. I'd love to see the polls that back up your claim.

Could you be so kind to show some studies done by an objective part on this matter, please? Because it sounds like a bunch of horse-crap.

THIS.

Mainstream public are traditional families with their own daily problems.

Why on earth should they be bothered about the sexual issues of a world minority with all the econo-politicial problems there are...

This coming from someone who doesn't give a crap about homosexuality. To be honest, I couldn't give less of a **** if they want to get married/adopt (it doesn't affect me in any way if they do), what I don't want is daily news on this bull**** with everything that's going on around the globe at the moment.
Reply 1034

Ahem, statistics disagree. In particular, 62% of people say same-sex relationships are as valid as mixed-sex relationships, and 43% are in favour of same-sex marriage being legal (which is a plurality btw).

Actually, the vast majority of people approve.
Reply 1036
Original post by JonathanM
Research shows lmfao... Obviously they're human. If you have two dads and you go to school, it will be used against you. It is not safe for the child. Gay people are generally funny guiz uno

The fact that you find the use of research in a debate funny shows how ignorant you are on this topic. Anything can be used against you at school, kids are cruel and will bully for anything.

Well, we do all have a brilliant sense of humour, it's one of the requirements to be gay you see...

Original post by Princessofhistory
No. If they want to look after something that badly then they can get a puppy. Or a kitten.

And how would you feel if I said the same thing to you. I don't think you should be able to adopt, but hey, if you're so desperate go get a pet to look after, because it's totally the same thing!

It's just my view.

Yes, feelings are important, and you can have as many of them as you want, but you cannot expect your feelings to dictate somebody eles's life.
"research shows", it can show anything given different circumstances.

Gay people should be allowed to be classed as guardians but not two dads. I see it as a decent thing for them to look after a child but not to be the childs father(s).
Reply 1038

Gay people should be allowed to be classed as guardians but not two dads. I see it as a decent thing for them to look after a child but not to be the childs father(s).

So a single mother, well, guardian is not a mother then. Same for a single father, well, guardian, is not a father then.

Yes, if you manipulate the metholodogy with clear flaws and biases, you can make it show anything you want. However, in order to get it published in a peer reviewed journal it has to be as free from these flaws and biases as possible and then judged and reviewed by experts who have studied psychological research methods and the field in which the research has been conducted and over 90% of research pieces are rejected for not being good enough so you have to have a really really good study to get published - this is the research I'm referring to.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest