The Student Room Group

OCR AS History A Exam: 15th January

EDIT: 15th May Exam, not January!! Sorry :/

Who else is taking this exam? Do you have any advice on how best to revise for it? I'm struggling to get over a B, but I really need an A in the exam.

I'm studying the topic Democracy and Dictatorship in Germany 1919-63 by the way, but any general essay-writing advice would be useful. Thanks! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Do you mean 15th May rather than 15th January? If so, I'm taking the same exam. But I'm doing the Crusades period not Germany.

I guess the best advice I got from my teacher is to make sure you discuss the factors (if it's a factor question) in order of importance, starting with the most important. Also to explain why each factor is more important than the next one you're discussing.
Reply 2
Oh gosh yes I do, major typo there! I guess that shows how much my brain is over-tired with frantic revision! :P

Ooh the Crusades, that sounds interesting :smile: thank you for the advice :smile:
Original post by Kimiechi
Oh gosh yes I do, major typo there! I guess that shows how much my brain is over-tired with frantic revision! :P

Ooh the Crusades, that sounds interesting :smile: thank you for the advice :smile:

I'm doing Germany aswell and i too am struggling to get over a B, i got a B in January in this exam and didn't even want to retake it but had to as my teacher entered me. Really need advice on what to include and how to argue to get an A, last time i'm sure i got down every point for each question but ended up with B, maybe i didn't compare enough, need to know how to answer the question to ensure an A.

Will be going to see my History teacher today so i will post if i get any helpful advice, post back if you find anything helpful aswell please :smile:
I'm doing this exam - Post-War Britain 1951-1990 though, and doing Democracy and Dictatorship for the source exam on the 22nd.

:cry2: (sums up my general feelings, like half confident because I do know it, but also half panicked... just... because :afraid:)
I am so scared guys!!
I'm doing Charles V and his relations in the Holy Roman Empire :frown: I swear no body even studies that any more :frown: !!! Best of luck to you all
I'm doing Britain 1918 - 1951 Domestic Issues
Got a B last time, revised so much - If I don't get an A (& some lovely questions) I will cry :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by xoJessicaAnn
I'm doing Britain 1918 - 1951 Domestic Issues
Got a B last time, revised so much - If I don't get an A (& some lovely questions) I will cry :smile:

I'm doing Britain 1918-51 too!

I'm hoping for a Lloyd George question and a Conservative question. National government and General Strike are not personal favourites at all.. Though Labour 1924 and 1929-31 would be alright :smile: what about you?
How did it go for everyone?

I did the Crusades and I thought it was pretty good, the questions were quite nice. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by AlesanaWill

I did the Crusades and I thought it was pretty good, the questions were quite nice. :smile:

I was quite happy with the questions, they were on topics I knew well. In fact, if I could have chosen questions, I would have probably chosen them. How well I answered them, though, is another question, and one I won't find out the answer to until August.....
Don't think anyone else here did post-war Britain too but I did the Thatcher and Labour Party 64-70 and 74-79 questions, which I thought were pretty decent. It's probably a very good thing I didn't do Macmillan as up until right now, I had his government confused with Churchill's. oops :afraid:

was so excited when a question about opposition toward Thatcher came up :mmm:
I did exploration and discovery (1450-1550) and the questions were really generous! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Resat the Cold War module today, got a B (73 UMS) last summer when the questions were downright horrible. Opened the paper today and the questions were exactly what i'd predicted would come up :biggrin: Will definitely be disappointed if i didn't get an A this time around.
Original post by tb1993
Resat the Cold War module today, got a B (73 UMS) last summer when the questions were downright horrible. Opened the paper today and the questions were exactly what i'd predicted would come up :biggrin: Will definitely be disappointed if i didn't get an A this time around.

Ah I did the same, but 75 UMS and Britian 1918-1951 module :smile:
Original post by ktlaurenroe
Don't think anyone else here did post-war Britain too but I did the Thatcher and Labour Party 64-70 and 74-79 questions, which I thought were pretty decent. It's probably a very good thing I didn't do Macmillan as up until right now, I had his government confused with Churchill's. oops :afraid:

was so excited when a question about opposition toward Thatcher came up :mmm:

I did post-war Britain too :smile: I did the Macmillan and labour governments questions, and they seemed alright to me

Really annoyed Heath didn't come up yet again, as questions about his leadership are so easy :/
Original post by Matt1231230
I did post-war Britain too :smile: I did the Macmillan and labour governments questions, and they seemed alright to me

Really annoyed Heath didn't come up yet again, as questions about his leadership are so easy :/

Haha, we all wanted Heath to come up too, and a '64 election question would have been amazing.

Loads of people seemed to have done Macmillan! I couldn't think of anything at all for it :tongue:
Reply 16
Did anyone study from Pitt to Peel? If you did and answered Question 1, what did you write about Pitt's domestic policies?
Original post by AlesanaWill

I also did the crusades questions and found them rather kind :smile:
Original post by MiniMojo
Did anyone study from Pitt to Peel? If you did and answered Question 1, what did you write about Pitt's domestic policies?

I saw the questions and I knew I should have done question 1, but for some stupid reason I decided to do 2 and 3. Really bummed that there were no Peel questions. Anyway..

Success of Pitt's domestic policies:

a) economic revival 1783-93
-Trade -Admin -Finance

b) resisting the threat of the French revolution 1793-1801
-Weakness of radical challenge -Loyalist reaction and revival of patriotism
-Government repressive legislation

I would have concluded by stating that although Pitt's economic policy was successful in restoring national confidence, they were basically undermined by the advent of war with France, which led to the national debt swelling to about £902m. Nevertheless, Pitt was an efficient rather than innovative prime minister. Regarding the radical challenge, Pitt was aided considerably by the loyalist reaction to the French revolution and was successful in driving popular radicalism underground.
Original post by Enter name here...
I also did the crusades questions and found them rather kind :smile:

Yeah, very happy with the question on the First Crusade as I'm sure a lot of people were. Was tempted to do the question on Saladin but opted for the Second Crusade question instead as it was something I'd practised more. Which questions did you choose?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending