Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Uni or job?!

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Recently I have been offered a scholarship with UEA meaning that I will have tuition fees of £4000 per annum instead of £9000. I have also had an interview for a trainee accountant job. I've been invited for a second interview and the first ones where only between 6 people which is good. But I literally have no idea what I would do if I was offered it. By the way I am going to do Business finance and economics at Uni if I go. I honestly just don't know which one would be better....

Advice?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well if you want to go to uni because you enjoy the subject, go. If it's because either you want to increase your job prospects or because everyone else is going then don't bother, just do the training scheme.

You can always go back to university later.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    In the trainee accountant job, which exams will you be studying towards?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd be training towards being a chartered accountant after 5 years
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I preferred to go to Uni first. It's always better to hold a degree...
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milesness)
    Well if you want to go to uni because you enjoy the subject, go. If it's because either you want to increase your job prospects or because everyone else is going then don't bother, just do the training scheme.

You can always go back to university later.
    I'd argue the opposite. After your degree you can always go and get another accountancy job (in fact after the degree it should only take 3 years to qualify, rather than waiting 2 extra years just to work towards qualifying).

However, if you were to go straight into a job, you'd miss out on university life as a young adult. Later on, you'd go to uni and learn, yes, but you'd hardly go out on a binge with your mates, go to SU with little kids... your priorities and the things you find fun will undoubtedly change.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could you not arrange to do the trainee accountant thing and do the degree part time too? Then after 5 years you would have be a chartered account with a business finance and economics degree. Sounds pretty good to me!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderlust.xx)
    I'd argue the opposite. After your degree you can always go and get another accountancy job (in fact after the degree it should only take 3 years to qualify, rather than waiting 2 extra years just to work towards qualifying).

However, if you were to go straight into a job, you'd miss out on university life as a young adult. Later on, you'd go to uni and learn, yes, but you'd hardly go out on a binge with your mates, go to SU with little kids... your priorities and the things you find fun will undoubtedly change.
    Well on the mature students sub forum they bang on about how 18 year olds are practically no different from 25 year olds in uni, and if they don't mention their age they act the same around each other when going out,etc. I'm assuming the OP is 18. And the fact they are considering this apprenticeship suggests the lack of a student lifestyle isn't something stopping them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    Could you not arrange to do the trainee accountant thing and do the degree part time too? Then after 5 years you would have be a chartered account with a business finance and economics degree. Sounds pretty good to me!
    That would be ideal! I'm not sure if that's possible though haha. If I got the job it would be like going to a college for accounting weeks at a time too.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexBrown1994)
    That would be ideal! I'm not sure if that's possible though haha. If I got the job it would be like going to a college for accounting weeks at a time too.
    What you should do is find out if its possible. if it is then you need to look at every aspect of it and how it would affect your life etc.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Uni. Once you've got your degree get yourself into a top company (Big 4) and qualify in 3 years. 1 year extra for the degree and I imagine substantially higher future earning potential.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I was in 6th form I only attended about 50% over the two years and never really put any effort in whatsoever. I got a U in As Maths and BBC in Economics, Politics and History with little to no work. I never completed my UCAS and after results was left with nothing to do as all of my friends moved away to university. I ended up taking a job as an office junior in a company that bought raw materials for export and it completely changed my life. In two and a half years I rose from office junior to a fully fledged Export Buyer. I really came into my own whilst working, developing all of the qualities I was lacking whilst studying like responsibility, self discipline and determination. In short I grew up. This year I resat my maths As and scored a very high A and I have an offer from Liverpool uni to study Maths with Finance starting in September.

It seems to me that the difference between you and I is that you already sound like a pretty focused and driven young man, whilst I had some growing up to do. Both are great options and you'll learn a lot whichever you choose, my only advice would be that you seriously think about what you want to do and make sure that whatever you end up doing is the best fit for you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you succeed in getting the job, then I would take the job.
    It is very competitive after graduation (especially applying to 'top' companies), and student life at uni is ok for a while but the novelty wears off.

As above said, going straight into work can be beneficial and if you change your mind, you can consider applying to university again if you wanted.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies! Still a very difficult decision with all your advice haha.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinvinvin)
    When I was in 6th form I only attended about 50% over the two years and never really put any effort in whatsoever. I got a U in As Maths and BBC in Economics, Politics and History with little to no work. I never completed my UCAS and after results was left with nothing to do as all of my friends moved away to university. I ended up taking a job as an office junior in a company that bought raw materials for export and it completely changed my life. In two and a half years I rose from office junior to a fully fledged Export Buyer. I really came into my own whilst working, developing all of the qualities I was lacking whilst studying like responsibility, self discipline and determination. In short I grew up. This year I resat my maths As and scored a very high A and I have an offer from Liverpool uni to study Maths with Finance starting in September.

It seems to me that the difference between you and I is that you already sound like a pretty focused and driven young man, whilst I had some growing up to do. Both are great options and you'll learn a lot whichever you choose, my only advice would be that you seriously think about what you want to do and make sure that whatever you end up doing is the best fit for you.
    woahh thats pretty fast going for someone who was an office junior for 2and1/2 yrs! you were really lucky aswell to land the job, im not being disrespectful in any way but its so hard to get an office junior job nowadays- so im thinking you had some experience to show for it? but yeah, well done for achieving so much in so little time-although im just wondering why the sudden urge for a degree? is it required in order to work up further on the career ladder or just a personal interest?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is very good thing that company invite you for interview that shows you are capable. If you are getting confuse which one is best just compare both 's market review and facilities and salary provide by them than go with best one option.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    depends on the job... I know alot of sucesful people who didnt go to uni... I know hardly any sucessful people who went to uni... most have fallen into the trap of not having any experience... thing is times have changed years ago you could get a job with little to no experience and work your way up, this has changed into a catch 22 situation for example you go to uni and graduate but cant get a job because of lack of experience on the other hand you dont got to uni and cant get a job through lack of qualifications. Seriously this country is messedup... I completed a foundation degree and went on to do the last year at uni.. in the end I quit uni and just took the foundation degree... Im going back to college part-time to study construction as I feel theory based qualifications are worth diddly squat these days. I remember one of my teachers telling me my subject "marketing" would be worth nothing in the future his prediction is coming true

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.