The Student Room Group

Covalent + Dative bond = ?

This question plz :

The nitrate ion, NO3–, in Ca(NO3)2 contains both covalent and dative covalent bonds.
Explain how.

Thanks
Original post by LegendX
This question plz :

The nitrate ion, NO3–, in Ca(NO3)2 contains both covalent and dative covalent bonds.
Explain how.

Thanks

There is covalent bonding within the nitrate anion between the N and O atoms, but there is dative covalent bonding between the one of the lone pairs of electrons on one of the oxygen atoms, and the Ca2+ ion.
Reply 2
Original post by thegodofgod
There is covalent bonding within the nitrate anion between the N and O atoms, but there is dative covalent bonding between the one of the lone pairs of electrons on one of the oxygen atoms, and the Ca2+ ion.

But isn't that a metal and a non metal so isn't that ironically bonded?
Original post by LegendX
But isn't that a metal and a non metal so isn't that ironically bonded?

It's ionic as well, as there is a transfer of electrons (2 from 1 calcium atom, of which 1 electron goes to each nitrate ion).

I'd suggest drawing out the dot-cross structure of Ca(NO3)2, which should help you out with visualising it :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by thegodofgod
It's ionic as well, as there is a transfer of electrons (2 from 1 calcium atom, of which 1 electron goes to each nitrate ion).

I'd suggest drawing out the dot-cross structure of Ca(NO3)2, which should help you out with visualising it :smile:

Hmm anyone chance you can show me?
Reply 5
I tried to draw out the diagram, I had a nitrogen atom bonded to 3 oxygens and it having 1 lone pair left.
Original post by LegendX
Hmm anyone chance you can show me?

Just made one, see attached image; notice how each NO3- ion has a formal charge of -1, although within the ion there is a +1 charge and 2 x -1 charge (making an overall charge of -1) :smile:

Quick Reply