The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wow what a day in Sheffield last week and seeing the Wednesday go up, my girlfriend was in almost tears of joy, and what about that crazy pitch invasion at the end not to mention an amazing 38,000+ fans at the game against Wycombe. Ched Evans is definitely to blame for United not going up.

In the play offs, did anyone see how controversial the second Huddersfield goal was against MK Dons. Would love to see Blackpool come up again, but I think West Ham will beat them in the final.
Original post by Rock Fan
Would love to see Blackpool come up again, but I think West Ham will beat them in the final.

Why?
Tiny club with an ******** manager.
Wow what a day in Sheffield last week and seeing the Wednesday go up, my girlfriend was in almost tears of joy, and what about that crazy pitch invasion at the end not to mention an amazing 38,000+ fans at the game against Wycombe. Ched Evans is definitely to blame for United not going up.

In the play offs, did anyone see how controversial the second Huddersfield goal was against MK Dons. Would love to see Blackpool come up again, but I think West Ham will beat them in the final.

You've got it right there although we were unbeaten at the start of the season when he didn't play! Cresswell and Hoskins both getting injured just after Evans been locked up has also had an impact. But, 0-0 after the first leg. We should go all the way now - 17 points more than Stevenage over the season. We're going to Wembley...I hope. :biggrin:
Original post by danc2005
Wow, I haven't been on TSR in ages, let alone posted in this thread!

Well it's been another rubbish season for Wycombe, and the yo-yo continues. Despite being at uni, I still managed to get to a good number of away games, including Sheffield United in February and Wednesday last weekend (never have I come across a nicer bunch of people in all my time of going to football than I did in Sheffield).

Will we return to League 1 next season? I'm not optimistic - with all the off-field issues and generally a weak squad, I can't see us bouncing straight back up again. Stranger things have happened though.

Congratulations to both Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton (I was at the Wycombe game when Charlton were crowned Champions, with the relegation confirmed sandwiched in between!)

Look on the bright side, you were better than us! Beat us three-one twice if I remember correctly. You're spot on about the sheffield fans though, didn't make it up there this season, but went up to Hillsborough for the strange game at the end of last season when our manager decided to play and there was a fair few Wednesday fans on the Big Bank for the last game against Sheffield utd this season and they were great.
Same can't be said for the Wednesday players and (ex)managers though unfortunately, Megson the tosser called us a pub team last season (about two hours before we beat them 5-1) and this season after we beat Wednesday at home 2-1 there were a brand new pair of fist-shaped holes in our away changing rooms walls.

But that's enough moaning, we've managed to sign Alan Gow who has been fantastic while he's been at the club, 3 goals and a few assists in the last month he's been here. Hopefully he can step into the Ryan Harley role in the middle and tie the play together. We've lost Nardiello to Rotherham, but I don't think that's as big a loss as the numbers make it look (11 goals this season), most of his goals came in one spell this season, and the rest of the time he's been useless, plus he managed to get himself sent off for moaning at the linesman away to charlton, and seem to manage to get himself booked for dissent against Sheffield utd this season abut 10 seconds after Beattie got himself sent off, and none of that did him any favours. He did score one of my favourite goals ever with that winner over Argyle in the JPT last season though.
On the rumour front, James Dunne is apparently off to Crystal Palace, but Archibald-Henville and Sercombe have signed.

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about next season now, I think that we will be mid table, so the aim has to be to be the top club in Devon again, which I think should be doable.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ipswichblade
You've got it right there although we were unbeaten at the start of the season when he didn't play! Cresswell and Hoskins both getting injured just after Evans been locked up has also had an impact. But, 0-0 after the first leg. We should go all the way now - 17 points more than Stevenage over the season. We're going to Wembley...I hope. :biggrin:

Yeah you should overcome them in the second leg, they've had their chance. Think it will be you and Huddersfield in the final.
Yeah you should overcome them in the second leg, they've had their chance. Think it will be you and Huddersfield in the final.

Hope so! IF it is, hopefully Rhodes will have an off day! He didn't score against us in either league game. :eek:
I'm cheering on Stevenage tonight - not because of any dislike of Sheffield United, but because I love Luke Freeman.

I was surprised we let him go permanently so early because he's an absolute livewire.
Original post by marcusmerehay
I'm cheering on Stevenage tonight - not because of any dislike of Sheffield United, but because I love Luke Freeman.

I was surprised we let him go permanently so early because he's an absolute livewire.

Didn't work. :biggrin:

Wembley it is! :biggrin::smile:

On balance I think United probably deserved it - no question that both teams were giving absolutely everything.

You did well to keep Freeman quiet after his first foray forward, although the Stevenage midfield were giving him very little support as Agyemang was often his only outlet.

If Hill had scored his effort I think the roof would have been ripped off - absolute scorcher. :coma:
Original post by marcusmerehay
On balance I think United probably deserved it - no question that both teams were giving absolutely everything.

You did well to keep Freeman quiet after his first foray forward, although the Stevenage midfield were giving him very little support as Agyemang was often his only outlet.

If Hill had scored his effort I think the roof would have been ripped off - absolute scorcher. :coma:

Yes, that was just after I sent a text to numerous people saying I thought Hill was useless lol! :biggrin: :redface:
Heh. I'm proud, it's been a great season for us anyway, and I think that was the most visible difference. In a way, the Blades needed it much more than we did.

We weren't that impressive in either playoff game, but United were playing for the draw in the first leg which is impossible to overcome for a team like us, who are fairly weak going forward in comparison to everywhere else, and then of course they had the home advantage.

Time to rebuild for next year; a few players will be moving on now but I don't see why we can't stay up again, even if we have to be content with mid-table mediocrity. I think if we do well for another year in League One we should be able to remain there long-term.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Introvert2020
Heh. I'm proud, it's been a great season for us anyway, and I think that was the most visible difference. In a way, the Blades needed it much more than we did.

We weren't that impressive in either playoff game, but United were playing for the draw in the first leg which is impossible to overcome for a team like us, who are fairly weak going forward in comparison to everywhere else, and then of course they had the home advantage.

Time to rebuild for next year; a few players will be moving on now but I don't see why we can't stay up again, even if we have to be content with mid-table mediocrity. I think if we do well for another year in League One we should be able to remain there long-term.

You've had a great season. Thought you defended well in both games but there again so did we when needed.

Good luck next season!

Enjoy your trip to Wembley- and if you win, think of the local derbies in the Championship next season. And say hello to Paul Heaton if you see him.
Original post by barnetlad
Enjoy your trip to Wembley- and if you win, think of the local derbies in the Championship next season. And say hello to Paul Heaton if you see him.

Will do. Will be my 3rd play off final in 9 years, just hope we can finally break the curse and win. :smile:
MK Dons playing our 2nd leg away at Huddersfield tonight 2-0 down. Didn't even look like scoring at home so not confident. But still: Come On You Dons!
:frown: So close in the end as well. :sigh: On balance Huddersfield probably deserved to go through, they were more solid at the back and more clinical with their chances. MK Dons for League One Champions 2012-13! :tongue:
Original post by alex_hk90
:frown: So close in the end as well. :sigh: On balance Huddersfield probably deserved to go through, they were more solid at the back and more clinical with their chances. MK Dons for League One Champions 2012-13! :tongue:

Thought you were the better team overall last night. Shame the second goal didn't come sooner to make for an interesting end!
Thought you were the better team overall last night. Shame the second goal didn't come sooner to make for an interesting end!

Yeah, but unfortunately they were a lot better than us in the 1st leg. :frown: Should be an interesting final!
Original post by alex_hk90
Yeah, but unfortunately they were a lot better than us in the 1st leg. :frown: Should be an interesting final!

Yes. Maguire v Rhodes should be interesting. :smile:
You've had a great season. Thought you defended well in both games but there again so did we when needed.

Good luck next season!

Cheers, much appreciated.

Both legs were poor but you definitely deserved it as your superiority did just shine through in the end and apart from the odd spells, you always looked more likely.

Either way, as you rightly say, it's been a great season for us, to even get into the playoffs at all when everyone had us down for relegation (and even the most optimistic of Boro fans had us as just about surviving). The real challenge though is this summer - which could well be a long one what with all the interest around our players, not least from Westley's Preston.

Scott Laird, who is out of contract, recently said in an interview that "you are a well-run club", the second-person suggests that he doesn't see himself as part of the club anymore, so I think he's leaving. Captain Mark Roberts has promised that "we'll fight again next season" so we're hoping that means he's staying on!

As long as we retain our star defenders - Roberts, Jon Ashton and goalkeeper Chris Day - I think we'll be alright for mid-table. If we do well next season I think we can start expecting to stay in League One for the long-term - consolidation will be key.

Good luck to you at Wembley!

Latest