The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Accom. Which Hall is closest to the Social Science Building?

Helloooo!

As the title suggests, I would like some advice on which hall is closest to the Social Science Building, as I have some sensitivity to sunlight and I would like to walk minimum.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jesuisbelle88
Helloooo!

As the title suggests, I would like some advice on which hall is closest to the Social Science Building, as I have some sensitivity to sunlight and I would like to walk minimum.

Looking at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/about/visiting/maps/campusmap/132100_CampusMap-Sept2011-1.jpg the closest ones are Whitefields, Cryfield and Tocil. Whitefields might be best for you since you can make part of your journey indoors through the Arts Centre numbered 65 on the map.

If you can get a doctor to give supporting evidence then make sure you make the accommodation people aware of your condition so you can be given a higher priority.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by ttoby
Looking at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/about/visiting/maps/campusmap/132100_CampusMap-Sept2011-1.jpg the closest ones are Whitefields, Cryfield and Tocil. Whitefields might be best for you since you can make part of your journey indoors through the Arts Centre numbered 65 on the map.

If you can get a doctor to give supporting evidence then make sure you make the accommodation people aware of your condition so you can be given a higher priority.

Thanks for your rep! I feel quite the same, but a number of ppl have suggested Claycroft, saying that it's the closest to the SS Building. What do you think?
Reply 3
Thanks for your rep! I feel quite the same, but a number of ppl have suggested Claycroft, saying that it's the closest to the SS Building. What do you think?

Many of them are a very similar distance. But I still feel Whitefields would have the shortest outdoors section of the route.
Claycroft is the other side of the map, near tescos, and i believe it is only for postgrads...

Cryfield is literally a 2min walk to social sciences/ SU, but i hear its not the nicest accom.
Reply 5
Thank you everyone! :smile: :smile: Is Whitefields considered a good place to stay? I personally really like Tocil and Claycroft (if it's available). Whitefields has the perfect location and Tocil isn't too bad either. Now it only depends on which one is nicer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Thank you everyone! :smile: :smile: Is Whitefields considered a good place to stay? I personally really like Tocil and Claycroft (if it's available). Whitefields has the perfect location and Tocil isn't too bad either. Now it only depends on which one is nicer.

Errrr, no it is not! In fact, it is being demolished this summer (or next - can't remember). Claycroft is post-grad. Some Rootes blocks are right behind Whitefields so quite close. Otherwise Jack Martin is opposite Whitefields, so closer than Tocil.

Also - be aware that while your department may be based in the SS building, you will likely have lectures further away - e.g. Science Concourse/Maths & Stats - particularly if you are doing Law, Economics or Politics, or any of the other popular SS subjects, as the classes are just too big in first year. I haven't had a single lecture in SS all year, though some seminars are. The reality is that you'll be spread across the university.

When you factor this in, Jack Martin, Tocil and Arthur Vick are probably your best bets as they are pretty close to SS and equidistant between the main lecture theatres. Rootes is a possibility, but be aware that A block is significantly further than P block - you would want to try and request M-P block if you went for this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Benefactors, Rootes, Tocil, JM and AV are all very similar distances...probably roughly in that order. You can walk through the Arts Centre too which takes a chunk of your outside time out.
Reply 8
Original post by edededd
Errrr, no it is not! In fact, it is being demolished this summer (or next - can't remember). Claycroft is post-grad. Some Rootes blocks are right behind Whitefields so quite close. Otherwise Jack Martin is opposite Whitefields, so closer than Tocil.

Also - be aware that while your department may be based in the SS building, you will likely have lectures further away - e.g. Science Concourse/Maths & Stats - particularly if you are doing Law, Economics or Politics, or any of the other popular SS subjects, as the classes are just too big in first year. I haven't had a single lecture in SS all year, though some seminars are. The reality is that you'll be spread across the university.

When you factor this in, Jack Martin, Tocil and Arthur Vick are probably your best bets as they are pretty close to SS and equidistant between the main lecture theatres. Rootes is a possibility, but be aware that A block is significantly further than P block - you would want to try and request M-P block if you went for this.

Lol for Whitefields..

Although I think JM is the best option for me, it's outa my budget. So what do you think of Benefactors' sharing? How's the location? How's the hall? The sociability?

Thanks for all that info btw :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by georgia
Benefactors, Rootes, Tocil, JM and AV are all very similar distances...probably roughly in that order. You can walk through the Arts Centre too which takes a chunk of your outside time out.

Heyy thanks! :smile:

Since you mentioned walking through the Arts Centre, I noticed that some buildings are connected by bridges. There's one that leads from the library to another building, and I think there's one that leads from another building (can't remember which) to the Computer Science Building. Would I be able to use those, say to get from the Social Sciences to the Math building?
Reply 10

Since you mentioned walking through the Arts Centre, I noticed that some buildings are connected by bridges. There's one that leads from the library to another building, and I think there's one that leads from another building (can't remember which) to the Computer Science Building. Would I be able to use those, say to get from the Social Sciences to the Math building?

Well. The bridge by the library is not covered - it is an open, actual bridge. However, if you left the social sciences building by the door closest to the library you would outside for like 30 seconds before you could get to the Chemistry building. You can walk from that building through the Engineering building and exit at the end of Library road opposite Humanities. From that point you would be outside again for another minute or two until you got to CompSci. Literally all you would be saving was walking Library Road outside.
Reply 11

If you saw an indoors bridge from the library then that might have been the one connecting up the two library buildings. You wouldn't be able to use that since they've made it so you can only go in/out the library at the main entrance for security reasons (there is another entrance in the second building for something else but they don't connect up). For the outdoors bridge, you might be able to go under it to get some shade.

With regards to the computer science building, it's not possible to get in there unless you actually do computer science. However it is possible to request access if you have a good reason so this would be necessary if you want to use the bridge from there to the maths building. You may also need to request access to the bridge itself although I'm not entirely sure who can get across it.
Reply 12
Thank you so much!

Views on Benefactors please? Fits my budget perfectly....
Reply 13
Thank you so much!

Views on Benefactors please? Fits my budget perfectly....

Sorry sorry sorry, totally forgot to check back on this thread.

Benefactors is small, I don't know many people there I must say, but from what I've heard they're quite a close little community. Sociable? Well I know most people have to share rooms which is pretty cosy! But it doesn't appeal to me. Beyond that, I can't really comment, pre-drank there once. It's going to depend on whoever is living there anyway and that obviously varies year on year. In terms of distance, probably as close as Tocil is to Social Studies, but much much further to maths/stats.

All things to consider.

If you do happen to get allocated a single room in Benefactors then it's basically the same price as JM/AV - so bear that in mind too.

Also because Benefactors is small it is probably less likely you'll be allocated as a first choice.

But if you don't get allocated where you want, particularly when you have a medical reason, then kick up an almighty fuss. People will tell you there's nothing they can do before you get there so don't bother - but trust me, they can, and will move you if you create enough of a fuss and send them lots of doctors letters!
Reply 14
Original post by edededd
Sorry sorry sorry, totally forgot to check back on this thread.

Benefactors is small, I don't know many people there I must say, but from what I've heard they're quite a close little community. Sociable? Well I know most people have to share rooms which is pretty cosy! But it doesn't appeal to me. Beyond that, I can't really comment, pre-drank there once. It's going to depend on whoever is living there anyway and that obviously varies year on year. In terms of distance, probably as close as Tocil is to Social Studies, but much much further to maths/stats.

All things to consider.

If you do happen to get allocated a single room in Benefactors then it's basically the same price as JM/AV - so bear that in mind too.

Also because Benefactors is small it is probably less likely you'll be allocated as a first choice.

But if you don't get allocated where you want, particularly when you have a medical reason, then kick up an almighty fuss. People will tell you there's nothing they can do before you get there so don't bother - but trust me, they can, and will move you if you create enough of a fuss and send them lots of doctors letters!

So nice of you, thanks a lot! :smile:

So does that mean even if I ask for sharing there's a chance they allocate me a single?
Honestly I'm not sure what to do. Are we allowed to put in less than 5 choices? I was thinking I'll just put Jack Martin and Benefactors and leave it to my fate to decide.
I like Ben but the distance from the Math Building and 24 ppl sharing a kitchen really puts me off, especially the latter, because I'm vegetarian, and I'm really uncomfortable with sharing utensils and not to mention the mess that'll be made there. Btw, are we allowed to keep a fridge in our room? Like a small one?
I like JM but it's stretching my budget quite a bit. How is Sherbourne? I'm not sure where it's located, but I like it.
I'll surely keep the 'make a fuss' and lots of letters part in mind! :biggrin:

Thanks again! :smile:
Reply 15
A lot of the accommodations are roughly the same distance (claycroft, tocil, whitefields etc.), but Whitefields will have the least sunny walk by far - even the outdoor bits are mostly shaded, and you can enter the social sciences building from the back end which is closer than it looks. Failing that, though, if you bring a bike I would have thought all the nearby ones would be within 2 minutes ride easily.

Also bear in mind that any ray of sunshine would inject a sliver of hope into the soulless wreck that is Coventry area, which almost never happens. Also, it rains a lot.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Bobifier
A lot of the accommodations are roughly the same distance (claycroft, tocil, whitefields etc.), but Whitefields will have the least sunny walk by far - even the outdoor bits are mostly shaded, and you can enter the social sciences building from the back end which is closer than it looks. Failing that, though, if you bring a bike I would have thought all the nearby ones would be within 2 minutes ride easily.

Also bear in mind that any ray of sunshine would inject a sliver of hope into the soulless wreck that is Coventry area, which almost never happens. Also, it rains a lot.

Hey thanks for the info! Esp about the bike part, I need to learn how to cycle. This is really embarrasing..but I've never cycled before.

Anyway what's your opinion on Benefactors, Jack Martin and Sherbourne? Actually I think I need an ensuite, and by far Ben sharing seems to be the best deal in terms of price.
Reply 17
Ok i'm gonna split this up.

So does that mean even if I ask for sharing there's a chance they allocate me a single

From memory, the form asks you whether you would mind sharing or not - generally Warwick try to have everyone in their own room because they feel we all need our own study space. So there is a chance are you could end up in a single in Benefactors, yes - but there aren't that many of them. Or you could end up in a sharing room and your partner not turn up and have a big room to yourself at the lower rental rate, which happens more than you'd think it would :biggrin:
There are rumours floating that Benefactors may be closing anyway - we shall see.

Honestly I'm not sure what to do. Are we allowed to put in less than 5 choices? I was thinking I'll just put Jack Martin and Benefactors and leave it to my fate to decide.

1. Don't panic.
2. You have to chose 5 and you can chose a 6th if you wish but...
3. Basicallyyyyy... With medical considerations you should get your first choice, but as I've said it doesn't always happen (fuss-making time).

I like Ben but the distance from the Math Building and 24 ppl sharing a kitchen really puts me off, especially the latter, because I'm vegetarian, and I'm really uncomfortable with sharing utensils and not to mention the mess that'll be made there.

Kitchens are cleaned monday, wednesday and fridays in all accommodation so there doesn't really tend to be an issue with mess until sunday night - though sharing with 24 is slightly different to sharing with 8! Just remember that everyone else is in the same situation and in my experience people are generally fairly respectful of other people's food. Utensils, etc, aren't provided, so you'll need to get your own anyway, and you can always put them in your room if you don't want others to use them.

Btw, are we allowed to keep a fridge in our room? Like a small one?

You're only supposed to have a fridge for medical reasons, though some people get away with it if they get on with their cleaner.

I like JM but it's stretching my budget quite a bit. How is Sherbourne? I'm not sure where it's located, but I like it.

Sherbourne is still being built so none of us know what it's like, but being new is always a good start :thumbsup:
In terms of location it's out by Lakeside - I'm not quite sure of the layout in terms of proximity to central campus as I'm not over that way much, but it will either be the same walking distance, or slightly further, than Lakeside, so probably not ideal for you.
Appreciate JM is stretching it - I still think you should strongly consider Tocil.
They're smaller flats (6-12 people) so not so much of an issue with kitchen mess, and they have 2 fridges so lots and lots of space! :smile:
The rooms are fairly standard, quite large, and the bathrooms (from what I've seen) are fine too (not en suite in Tocil though).
Price is not too bad, and the location is pretty good for you.
Claycroft possibly a bit too far to SS? I don't know.

You'll find you end up happy wherever you get anyway, and you'll adapt quickly, so try not to worry about it too much! :smile:

:eek: phew ok back to revision!

EDIT: aw crap looks like Tocil and Clarcroft are not going to be 1st accom next year. These are the choices for 2012/13 (number to bathroom, number to kitchen)[total rooms]:
£2340 - Cryfield (6, 10-16)-[258]
£2820 - Benefactors (shared) (2, 24)-[24, 48 places] - To be killed off in summer 2012?
£2923 - Whitefields (6, 12)-[195]
£3471 - Westwood (6, 18-26)-[460]
£3471 - Rootes (6, 12-19)-[924]
£3420 - Benefactors (single) (1, 22)-[22] - To be killed off in summer 2012?
£3930 - Jack Martin (1, 11-13)-[425]
£4050 - Arthur Vick (1, 9-14)-[396]
£4563 - Sherbourne (1, 10-13)-[573]
£4836 - Lakeside (1, 8)-[140]
£5850 - Bluebell (1, 8)-[505]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by edededd
Ok i'm gonna split this up.

From memory, the form asks you whether you would mind sharing or not - generally Warwick try to have everyone in their own room because they feel we all need our own study space. So there is a chance are you could end up in a single in Benefactors, yes - but there aren't that many of them. Or you could end up in a sharing room and your partner not turn up and have a big room to yourself at the lower rental rate, which happens more than you'd think it would :biggrin:
There are rumours floating that Benefactors may be closing anyway - we shall see.

1. Don't panic.
2. You have to chose 5 and you can chose a 6th if you wish but...
3. Basicallyyyyy... With medical considerations you should get your first choice, but as I've said it doesn't always happen (fuss-making time).

Kitchens are cleaned monday, wednesday and fridays in all accommodation so there doesn't really tend to be an issue with mess until sunday night - though sharing with 24 is slightly different to sharing with 8! Just remember that everyone else is in the same situation and in my experience people are generally fairly respectful of other people's food. Utensils, etc, aren't provided, so you'll need to get your own anyway, and you can always put them in your room if you don't want others to use them.

You're only supposed to have a fridge for medical reasons, though some people get away with it if they get on with their cleaner.

Sherbourne is still being built so none of us know what it's like, but being new is always a good start :thumbsup:
In terms of location it's out by Lakeside - I'm not quite sure of the layout in terms of proximity to central campus as I'm not over that way much, but it will either be the same walking distance, or slightly further, than Lakeside, so probably not ideal for you.
Appreciate JM is stretching it - I still think you should strongly consider Tocil.
They're smaller flats (6-12 people) so not so much of an issue with kitchen mess, and they have 2 fridges so lots and lots of space! :smile:
The rooms are fairly standard, quite large, and the bathrooms (from what I've seen) are fine too (not en suite in Tocil though).
Price is not too bad, and the location is pretty good for you.
Claycroft possibly a bit too far to SS? I don't know.

You'll find you end up happy wherever you get anyway, and you'll adapt quickly, so try not to worry about it too much! :smile:

:eek: phew ok back to revision!

EDIT: aw crap looks like Tocil and Clarcroft are not going to be 1st accom next year. These are the choices for 2012/13 (number to bathroom, number to kitchen)[total rooms]:
£2340 - Cryfield (6, 10-16)-[258]
£2820 - Benefactors (shared) (2, 24)-[24, 48 places] - To be killed off in summer 2012?
£2923 - Whitefields (6, 12)-[195]
£3471 - Westwood (6, 18-26)-[460]
£3471 - Rootes (6, 12-19)-[924]
£3420 - Benefactors (single) (1, 22)-[22] - To be killed off in summer 2012?
£3930 - Jack Martin (1, 11-13)-[425]
£4050 - Arthur Vick (1, 9-14)-[396]
£4563 - Sherbourne (1, 10-13)-[573]
£4836 - Lakeside (1, 8)-[140]
£5850 - Bluebell (1, 8)-[505]

OMG you're the nicest person I've met on TSR! :smile:

I LOVE TOCIL!!! And I was soo mad when they closed it for first years! :frown: I love Claycroft too, the distance isn't exactly ideal but I still liked it.

Yeah but I can't even gather 5 choices to put. Suppose,
1)Ben, 2)JM, 3)AV....and then I dunno...maybe I'll just put Rootes or something..

Ok laaast 2 questions, then I won't bother you, I promise.
a) How bad is bathroom sharing? I am under the impression that it's pretty bad.
b) Is there any rule about having to state only one ensuite choice out of the 5?

Merci Beaucoup!
Reply 19
Ok laaast 2 questions, then I won't bother you, I promise.
a) How bad is bathroom sharing? I am under the impression that it's pretty bad.
b) Is there any rule about having to state only one ensuite choice out of the 5?

Merci Beaucoup!

Bathroom sharing is absolutely fine. You share a bathroom at home (probably!) so it's not exactly an issue sharing one at uni :wink:

And yes, you can usually only put one ensuite choice down. I can't remember if one time you could put a 30 week ensuite and a 39 week ensuite...but when you're putting a shortlist together, bank on the idea that you can only have one.

Quick Reply

Latest