The Student Room Group

Edexcel Physics Unit 1 17th May 2012

I guess this thread is not made,

so how is everyone's revision going for this exam? have anyone started yet?

Scroll to see replies

nah not yet started i have a 2 math exams on wednesday, this unit 1 exam on thursday and another math exam on friday. what about you have you started
Reply 2
Original post by 99llewellyn99
nah not yet started i have a 2 math exams on wednesday, this unit 1 exam on thursday and another math exam on friday. what about you have you started

yeh, getting through the book. Hopefully will be doing past papers tomorow.

How is your unit 2 going?
i didn't start unit 2 yet scored low in the mocks so gonna have to work on that. do you take math?
Reply 4
Hey!
Im doing this paper too..
Hows all the revision going on?
Reply 5
Original post by r.b
Hey!
Im doing this paper too..
Hows all the revision going on?

its okay, getting through past papers here, wbu ?
Reply 6
Just doing random questions... ill do the past papers tomorrow...
Reply 7
Original post by r.b
Just doing random questions... ill do the past papers tomorrow...

oh right cool.
Reply 8
Original post by 99llewellyn99

heyy i'm in a similar situation...in fact worse!!
i've got a business studies and 2 maths exams on wednesday (tomorroww!!) , Physics unit 1 on thursay, and spanish literature on friday!!!
i'm totally stuck!
any suggestions on which topic areas to revise MOST which u think are most likely to come up? i tried Past papers but i'm not so good at itt
neeedd hellpp ASAP! :s-smilie:S

btw...good luck to all u for ur exams! :biggrin:
Original post by nsonia95
heyy i'm in a similar situation...in fact worse!!
i've got a business studies and 2 maths exams on wednesday (tomorroww!!) , Physics unit 1 on thursay, and spanish literature on friday!!!
i'm totally stuck!
any suggestions on which topic areas to revise MOST which u think are most likely to come up? i tried Past papers but i'm not so good at itt
neeedd hellpp ASAP! :s-smilie:S

btw...good luck to all u for ur exams! :biggrin:

well looks like ur gonna be prtty tied up with ur exams good luck for them
but keep trying unit 1 past papers as they only can help you other than the text book
Reply 10
I hate this exam. I can never seem to get all the marks for those 6-mark waffly questions. These papers just seem waffly in general. Thank heavens the boundaries for an A aren't high. 60/80 is attainable.

Haven't started revision for 6PH02.

Anyone got a list of definitions for this exam?
Reply 11
well...i don't seem to have a problem with this paper...
scored a pretty high mark on my mock without preparing well. its unit 2 i'm worried about.

but anyway, i cant get myself to seriously study i wasted so much time today when i couldve finished memorising all important definitions :mad:
I'm really hoping (read: praying) that this exam is just vectors and rearranging equations for motion! :tongue:

EDIT: I'm actually pretty confused on the second spec point:

Demonstrate an understanding of how ICT can be used to collect data for, and display, displacement/time and velocity/time graphs for uniformly accelerated motion and compare this with tradition methods in terms of reliability and validity of data.

Anyone help me out on what we actually need to know for this point?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Salmonidae
I'm really hoping (read: praying) that this exam is just vectors and rearranging equations for motion! :tongue:

EDIT: I'm actually pretty confused on the second spec point:

Demonstrate an understanding of how ICT can be used to collect data for, and display, displacement/time and velocity/time graphs for uniformly accelerated motion and compare this with tradition methods in terms of reliability and validity of data.

Anyone help me out on what we actually need to know for this point?

i guess they're referring to the use of data loggers instead of a stop watch to record the time period
basically place one light gate at the beginning of the track and another one just before the end, connect these two light gates to a computer...as soon as the trolley/(or whatever it is you're measuring the speed of) interrupts the beam emitted from the first light gate, the logger is automatically switched on...then when the trolley interrupts the beam of light emitted from the second light gate, the logger is switched off.

this is a much more accurate method to record time as the inevitable reaction time when manually recording time using a stopwatch is eliminated
Original post by youlostme
i guess they're referring to the use of data loggers instead of a stop watch to record the time period
basically place one light gate at the beginning of the track and another one just before the end, connect these two light gates to a computer...as soon as the trolley/(or whatever it is you're measuring the speed of) interrupts the beam emitted from the first light gate, the logger is automatically switched on...then when the trolley interrupts the beam of light emitted from the second light gate, the logger is switched off.

this is a much more accurate method to record time as the inevitable reaction time when manually recording time using a stopwatch is eliminated

Ah that makes sense, so any question will just be explaining that?

Cheers :smile:
January 2012 paper was brutal and I've done all the other papers countless times, really struggling to think up ways to revise at this point! :s
Reply 16
On the specification for this exam it says 'understand some applications of mechanics, for example to safety or to sports'

What do i need to know for that???
Reply 17
Really hope this is all just maths, vectors, resolving, motion type questions, I seriously cannot do the spring questions and all the other baloney. Mechanics has helped me so much with Physics Unit 1 which is why I'm hoping that the paper is all maths, my bloody teacher didn't even teach us half the stuff and can't teach us math and then he gave us a list of "what else could come up". Wtf? What really annoyed me though was the compulsory revision session right before the exam which involved going over stuff other people didn't get but I did, so I ended up revising nothing! Needless to say I shan't be going this time.

Rant over lol, back to my revision I guess!
Reply 18
Original post by totw
On the specification for this exam it says 'understand some applications of mechanics, for example to safety or to sports'

What do i need to know for that???

there are two topics in unit 1, the first one is titled mechanics and the second one is materials/fluids
mechanics include: rectilinear motion, forces, energy and power
and materials include: flow of liquids, viscosity, Stokes’ Law, properties of materials, Young’s’ modulus and elastic strain energy

well....you basically need to know the whole of topic one =P
Reply 19
Original post by DingDong!
Really hope this is all just maths, vectors, resolving, motion type questions, I seriously cannot do the spring questions and all the other baloney. Mechanics has helped me so much with Physics Unit 1 which is why I'm hoping that the paper is all maths, my bloody teacher didn't even teach us half the stuff and can't teach us math and then he gave us a list of "what else could come up". Wtf? What really annoyed me though was the compulsory revision session right before the exam which involved going over stuff other people didn't get but I did, so I ended up revising nothing! Needless to say I shan't be going this time.

Rant over lol, back to my revision I guess!

same here! but for me it was the other way round...our physics teacher wa really good but the mechanics teacher wa terrible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending