The Student Room Group

Student Finance: Bank details - confused?!?

Hi there
I thought that with Student finance you just waited until August when you could get a student bank account for putting in bank details but I just got a letter from them telling me to put them in.
Do I just put my current bank details in? Then update them once I can get a student account. That's what I'm assuming but I figured I'd check :redface:
Reply 1
Yep, use your current account now then update later if you need to.
Reply 2
Hello Guys,

I havent got a student/current bank account.

Planning on getting a student account soon.

Can I put my parents account details in, then later update when I get my student account.

Kind Regards,

David.
Reply 3
Original post by stackemup
Hello Guys,

I havent got a student/current bank account.

Planning on getting a student account soon.

Can I put my parents account details in, then later update when I get my student account.

Kind Regards,

David.

This:
Original post by Shani
Yep, use your current account now then update later if you need to.
Reply 4
This

You must have misunderstood me.

I have not got a bank account in any form or shape, because I have never opened one.

I am planning of getting a student account soon.

In the meantime can I fill my parents information in the account details form.

Help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

David.
Reply 5

I have not got a bank account in any form or shape, because I have never opened one.

Thanks,

David.

Oops, yes I did, sorry :colondollar:

Unfortunately no, you can't use your parents bank account, it will have to be your own.
Hey, can we only get a student bank account after results day?

Sorry if thats a really silly question!
:smile:
Reply 7

Thanks,

David.

You'd probably be best opening an account with the bank you want a student account with, then changing it to a student account when you can.
Reply 8
You will usually need an unconditional offer to open a student bank account - which means yes, in most cases, you will have to wait until after you have your results.

What some banks may do though is open an account for you and make it a student account after results day.

It would depend on the specific bank though, and their policies.
Reply 9
Original post by Jellybeany
Hey, can we only get a student bank account after results day?

Sorry if thats a really silly question!
:smile:

It depends on the bank. Last I heard with natwest you could open the account with a conditional offer letter but couldn't use the overdraft, credit card etc until you actually started, or something like that. The easiest way to find out is give the bank/s you're interested in a call or pop in branch.

As a side note, with some banks eg. natwest if you already have a current account and get a student account with the same bank it will work like an 'upgrade' so your account number will stay the same. Though it's not much effort to change your details with student finance anyway :smile:

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
It depends on the bank. Last I heard with natwest you could open the account with a conditional offer letter but couldn't use the overdraft, credit card etc until you actually started, or something like that. The easiest way to find out is give the bank/s you're interested in a call or pop in branch.

As a side note, with some banks eg. natwest if you already have a current account and get a student account with the same bank it will work like an 'upgrade' so your account number will stay the same. Though it's not much effort to change your details with student finance anyway :smile:

xxx

Oh right okay thanks!

Ill pop in then soon, i just didnt want to go in and then seem like an idiot!

:biggrin:
Thanks for all your help guys,

Just one quick question, if I don't have my bank details updated on student finance by the 31st, will my maintenance loan be delayed.

Thanks again
Reply 12

Just one quick question, if I don't have my bank details updated on student finance by the 31st, will my maintenance loan be delayed.

Thanks again

If you have some details filled in then it will just pay to that account on the payment date (on the timetable student finance sent/will send you). If there are no details on that date then it will cause a delay. I don't THINK there should be any delay caused by changing your details, but I would try to do it at least a week before your payment date so it has time to process.

xxx

Thanks again

No, it won't (except of course, obviously if you don't put them in until after your loan is supposed to be paid to you, you won't get your money until you do).
You don't need your bank details to complete your application; your loans etc will be all set up and ready to be paid like normal-the only delay is the normal week for chaning your bank details and if you don't leave it until last minute that shouldn't be a problem.

I couldn't open a bank account last year until I got to uni and I seem to remember my loan was scheduled to go in on the Monday and I got mine paid in only actually a couple of days late (I think it was the Thursday, having opened a bank account on the Monday or Tuesday).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending