The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Does first year nightlife revolve around clubbing? Is there anything else at Bristol?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mattyness
Wills, Hiatt Baker is a safe combination. About the seating, no idea but if it is a serious medical condition they might help you.

As for CHH, don't see loads of internationals as a benefit and some sort of great 'global village' melting pot. Instead, it will probably just mean a lot of quiet nights. Although this isn't to say that CHH is that bad, I know a few people who went there and they enjoyed it, just that there are better halls out there.

I realised yesterday that I don't think Hiatt Baker is an option for me, there's gonna be some building work so a. they can't confirm parking and b. that would probabaly stop me napping during the day (I can kind of tune people out as long as they don't have a guitar with an amp, but I can't sleep through building work!)
Now I'm thinking Churchill second choice, looks like they have some newly refurbished rooms with 4ft beds! However, read somewhere that it really cliquey and there was a divide there? I think I'm reaonsably good at mixing with a variety of people though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 21
Churchill is quite cliquey yeah, when I was a fresher something ridiculous like thirty-forty Churchill freshers went to Eton. Churchill is definitely more 'rah' than Wills, so I'd stick with HB.
Reply 22
My friend lives in Churchill. She is not rah at all, managed to find friends there and must have liked it since she stayed there for second year as well. The food is apparently quite good too.
Reply 23
Original post by anka16
My friend lives in Churchill. She is not rah at all, managed to find friends there and must have liked it since she stayed there for second year as well. The food is apparently quite good too.

Thanks this is quite reassuring :smile: The food thing is important too, I stayed with my ex in halls at another uni for 4 days straight once, I'm not a fussy eater, I even like most the food in my school canteen but the food there was nothing like I'd experienced before (and not in a good way!). What was good there though, was you could take things like fruit and snacks out of the dining hall (I am a big snacker) It looks like it's against the rules at Bristol though, does anyone ever break the rule?
Reply 24
Original post by xfirekittyx
Thanks this is quite reassuring :smile: The food thing is important too, I stayed with my ex in halls at another uni for 4 days straight once, I'm not a fussy eater, I even like most the food in my school canteen but the food there was nothing like I'd experienced before (and not in a good way!). What was good there though, was you could take things like fruit and snacks out of the dining hall (I am a big snacker) It looks like it's against the rules at Bristol though, does anyone ever break the rule?

Hm, I thought people were given fruit and snacks so they could take it to uni and eat inbetween lectures. I also think in some halls they make you packed lunch if you say you will miss the actual one. I might be wrong though, I was self-catered.
Reply 25
Original post by punctuation
Nah, most people in Canada turn 18 the year they have to go to uni, but I skipped a year so I'm turning 17 this year. :colondollar: My second choice is the hawthorns which has the advantage of being around the corner from both my departments and pretty modern-looking! However, it doesn't have a nice garden like Goldney and I'd definitely miss the "halls" aspect. Plus I don't have lectures every single day so if I'm tied up in my room I'd rather it be near the lovely shops of Clifton :biggrin:

So since I'm guaranteed accommodation I figured try for the "competitive" hall then if not I get the still really great second choice. It's like a win-win situation.

Ah, I only have what most people would call an "American" accent since I was born and raised in Canada. :wink: I didn't go to the visit day, no. Too far away haha.

I know, I'm completely won over by the architecture of the halls like Goldney and Wills' old quad. :tongue: The Hawthorns also looks quite nice on the outside, and very new on the inside, which seems like a good combination to me!

Ahh I see, I think England is very unique in not accelarating people up, it's very frustrating as if I'd been in another country I would have been in primary school hell one of my Israeli cousins did our equivlenet to a-level math at 14 in a state school :/ Instead I'm a year behind, because health problems + unsupportive school didn't mix very well. So I'm two years your senior :eek: That is a win win sitution, although even if I was well I don't think I'd deal with the Hawthorns as it's supposed to be really hot!

I swear a Canadian accent is different to American?! I mean you get so many different american ones anyway, I had to do two different new york one's at one point before my teacher realised I just sound like 'a demented lady on crack' and let me stop :frown: I like accents but I'm so awful at them!

You sound pretty confident with your choices! I just have a problem with everything XD
I wish I was a law student just because of the Wills memorial Building! Have you seen it?
Reply 26

I wish I was a law student just because of the Wills memorial Building! Have you seen it?

Sorry for getting into your conversation, but I was jealous of lawyers because of Wills building too... until I found out they have most lectures in chemistry building:biggrin:
Ahh I see, I think England is very unique in not accelarating people up, it's very frustrating as if I'd been in another country I would have been in primary school hell one of my Israeli cousins did our equivlenet to a-level math at 14 in a state school :/ Instead I'm a year behind, because health problems + unsupportive school didn't mix very well. So I'm two years your senior :eek: That is a win win sitution, although even if I was well I don't think I'd deal with the Hawthorns as it's supposed to be really hot!

I swear a Canadian accent is different to American?! I mean you get so many different american ones anyway, I had to do two different new york one's at one point before my teacher realised I just sound like 'a demented lady on crack' and let me stop :frown: I like accents but I'm so awful at them!

You sound pretty confident with your choices! I just have a problem with everything XD

Oohhh I see! Don't worry about that, I'm used to most of my classmates being older than me haha.

Hmmm... I'm not sure that it is, or maybe I can't tell because I'm just used to it? I know there are "American accents" like Boston, NY, California, the South, but everywhere else seems to be a "normal American accent" which is how it is in most of Canada. :dontknow: We don't really have any distinctive Canadian accents, except for the maritimes (the islands off shore) and maybe a french accent in Quebec.

Haha I've spent way too much time on the Bristol website :rolleyes: I'm addicted to knowledge...

YEAH it's gorgeous! The Victoria Rooms for the music students are also reaaaalllyyy nice :drool:

But the psych/phil departments seem quite nice and old too. :smile:
Reply 28
dont mean to disappoint you, but from my experience all people ever do is go clubbing on the traingle. bristols pubs are actually extremely rubbish!!!!! there are virtually zero pub gardens. i love going to pubs much more than clubs and was seriously disappointed. there i not a pub in stoke bishop, you have to walk about half hour to get to the nearest one so people stay inside and drink themselves into oblivion then get taxis to the clubs
Reply 29
I wish people would stop making generalisations like 'all people ever do is go clubbing on the triangle'! I have just finished my first year at Bristol and that statement is so untrue! It largely depends on whether you and your friends like clubbing, and even if you do there are still other ways of spending your time! I've been clubbing 2-3 times a week for the majority of this year because thats what me and my friends like to do.. but that hasnt stopped us going for an afternoon drink at one of the nice bars or pubs (of which there are many..e.g. Roo bar, The Hill), going to the cinema, shopping, or even just sitting in someones flat playing cards or board games!
If I were you I wouldn't go to the Stoke Bishop halls. Sorry to generalize but I think they're seen more as the clubbing/partying halls and since there is literally nothing in Stoke Bishop in terms of culture/pubs/shops etc I'd find it unlikely that if people were paying taxi money to go to places they would just opt for a pub, they'd probably go to a club. I was in CHH and not only did you have the beautiful surroundings of Clifton Village/the suspension bridge you also had vast amounts of cafes/restaurants/pubs and there's a little market/arcade thing. In Clifton you're also much closer to park street and a short walk from the city centre and cabot circus etc. Also when I was at CHH, although most of us loved going out clubbing there was definitely quite a chilled atmosphere and there were many nights when people just stayed in and watched movies either in the JCR or the TV room or people just hung out in each others rooms/the kitchens.
Also like you said if you do feel like going out, the clubs (especially the ones in the triangle like bunker and lounge) are in walking distance to the Clifton halls, whereas in Stoke Bishop you'd forever have to get taxis to and from clubs so it would save you a hell of a lot of money.
Hope I helped :smile:
Original post by IHeartAmerica1993
If I were you I wouldn't go to the Stoke Bishop halls. Sorry to generalize but I think they're seen more as the clubbing/partying halls and since there is literally nothing in Stoke Bishop in terms of culture/pubs/shops etc I'd find it unlikely that if people were paying taxi money to go to places they would just opt for a pub, they'd probably go to a club. I was in CHH and not only did you have the beautiful surroundings of Clifton Village/the suspension bridge you also had vast amounts of cafes/restaurants/pubs and there's a little market/arcade thing. In Clifton you're also much closer to park street and a short walk from the city centre and cabot circus etc. Also when I was at CHH, although most of us loved going out clubbing there was definitely quite a chilled atmosphere and there were many nights when people just stayed in and watched movies either in the JCR or the TV room or people just hung out in each others rooms/the kitchens.
Also like you said if you do feel like going out, the clubs (especially the ones in the triangle like bunker and lounge) are in walking distance to the Clifton halls, whereas in Stoke Bishop you'd forever have to get taxis to and from clubs so it would save you a hell of a lot of money.
Hope I helped :smile:

Can't people just walk or is it out of the question?
Original post by JohnyTheLad
Can't people just walk or is it out of the question?

SOme people do, but its gonna be a 30 mins + walk, especially if you go right into town.

And as for the question, you can do whatever you like at uni if you find likeminded people. WHich is a big IF, because ive been here for 5 years and almost every single person ive met just goes to a club...if something is happening, it will almost always involve getting trashed and probably a club.
Probably why ive had no friends at uni, but tbh i don't mind since i dislike clubs.
Reply 33
I'd give completely the opposite advice and advise going for Badock/Hiatt Baker, which are Stoke Bishop halls. They really aren't that far and what you might lose on cab fares, you'll gain on a much better social life and facilities.
I'd say that freshers week and the start of the first term is based a lot around clubbing, but after that everyone settles down a bit when they realise that they actually have to study. Having said that, clubbing isnt for everyone and not going doesnt mean that you will have a rubbish social life. In freshers week my hall organised film nights for people who didnt fancy going out, and after freshers there was rarely a night when everyone went out together - there would always be a few people staying in. I know some people who only went out clubbing once in the entire year and they certainly had a social life. There have been many film nights or nights of just going to the bar/pub.

The buses stop running at about 9:30-ish, but I know plenty of girls who have got taxis back on their own fine. Walking back to stoke bishop alone is not advisable.

Also, the food at Badock isn't that bad. You do get the occasional dodgy meal but on the whole they are fine. You don't get any lunch, although there is the opportunity to sneak out plenty of food at breakfast (which I might add is a very good meal).
Reply 35
Bare in mind that the catering staff at all of the stoke bishop halls swap around each year (or at least every few years), so how good the food is is likely to differ from year to year.

Also, basically everyone walks from stoke bishop. A lot of the time it's quicker than getting the bus as the bus gets stuck in the morning traffic down whiteladies and a lot of people don't really do any sport/fitness when they come to uni so it's good to get some exercise! It's also downhill on the way to uni. I would recommend getting the bus back up to halls though as it's quite a big hill!
Reply 36
Original post by Supernovae
AYou don't get any lunch, although there is the opportunity to sneak out plenty of food at breakfast (which I might add is a very good meal).

ahahahaahaha!

I can foresee myself doing this xD

Quick Reply

Latest