The Student Room Group

How to have a cheap gap year and get good experience?

I'm taking a gap year then applying to primary school teaching for September 2013. I was wondering how I could have a cheap gap year as I'm currently job hunting at the moment with no luck! As I'm applying for primary school teaching I was wondering whether anyone has advice of experience programs in the UK or abroad that I could do to improve my application? And any fundraising advice would be appreciated too. :smile:
Explain that you are applying for primary teaching, and offer to help out at your local (or your own old) primary school with reading etc.?

You will (obviously) need to be CRB checked though.
Reply 2
Original post by sparksfly
I'm taking a gap year then applying to primary school teaching for September 2013. I was wondering how I could have a cheap gap year as I'm currently job hunting at the moment with no luck! As I'm applying for primary school teaching I was wondering whether anyone has advice of experience programs in the UK or abroad that I could do to improve my application? And any fundraising advice would be appreciated too. :smile:

How about teaching English abroad? You could go most anywhere in the world, get paid (unless you fancy volunteering and even then you occasionally get a stipend), and it would be really relevant to your application?
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets
Explain that you are applying for primary teaching, and offer to help out at your local (or your own old) primary school with reading etc.?

You will (obviously) need to be CRB checked though.

I already hold a CRB check as part of my current college course so that won't be a problem. I could do this during term time if I didn't go abroad.

Original post by Acaila
How about teaching English abroad? You could go most anywhere in the world, get paid (unless you fancy volunteering and even then you occasionally get a stipend), and it would be really relevant to your application?

I was considering this, but I wasn't sure whether there is any teaching abroad programmes which include the TEFL qualification and flights, insurance, etc in one big package? to possibly save money and have everything organised before I went over there.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Reply 4
Original post by sparksfly

I was considering this, but I wasn't sure whether there is any teaching abroad programmes which include the TEFL qualification and flights, insurance, etc in one big package? to possibly save money and have everything organised before I went over there.

Thanks for the suggestions!

There are, though it's the expensive way to do it. Any idea where you'd want to work? I can possibly suggest some places.

The best way I would say is to get a TEFL course from a provider that offers lots of help in finding you work, rather than paying someone to find you a job when there are absolutely hordes out there with a tiny bit of research.

That way you just pay for the course, have much more flexibility in where/when you want to work and will likely get a better job. Remember, if there's a place that will accept money to definitely place you, you'll be going to a school that doesn't care whether you can teach or not really. Separate applications/skype interviews are good to check just that you don't have two heads, and I'd worry about going to work at a school that didn't care enough to do that.

I've just sorted my own insurance for going away for four months, and it's honestly not hard, neither are flights, especially as you'll usually get clear instructions on that, so I'd definitely say saving money is worth the effort.

Jobs in some parts of the world where teachers are in huge demand will often include perks like flights, medical insurance and accommodation. Do you have a degree already btw? That can affect where you can work.
Reply 5
Original post by Acaila
There are, though it's the expensive way to do it. Any idea where you'd want to work? I can possibly suggest some places.

The best way I would say is to get a TEFL course from a provider that offers lots of help in finding you work, rather than paying someone to find you a job when there are absolutely hordes out there with a tiny bit of research.

That way you just pay for the course, have much more flexibility in where/when you want to work and will likely get a better job. Remember, if there's a place that will accept money to definitely place you, you'll be going to a school that doesn't care whether you can teach or not really. Separate applications/skype interviews are good to check just that you don't have two heads, and I'd worry about going to work at a school that didn't care enough to do that.

I've just sorted my own insurance for going away for four months, and it's honestly not hard, neither are flights, especially as you'll usually get clear instructions on that, so I'd definitely say saving money is worth the effort.

Jobs in some parts of the world where teachers are in huge demand will often include perks like flights, medical insurance and accommodation. Do you have a degree already btw? That can affect where you can work.

I don't mind where about in the world it would be. This is really helpful thank you! No I don't already have a degree.
Reply 6
Au pairing is also a good option especially if you want to go into primary teaching as you'll work with children. Its cheap at least although how much you enjoy it probably depends on the family you live/work with

Quick Reply

Latest