The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Will7291
how so? tbf this isn't my tattoo

I just wanted opinions on it :smile:

Claiming to be a legacy/having a legacy just seems rather big headed, pretentious and I'd laugh at anyone with it.
How are you sure that this person is claiming to have a/be a legacy? I don't think anyone would be so pompous.

I personally see it as a mark of respect to this person's family, maybe something had been passed down from an ancestor/relative and there trying to adhere by it. I thought it was nice anyway
Original post by Will7291
How are you sure that this person is claiming to have a/be a legacy? I don't think anyone would be so pompous.

I personally see it as a mark of respect to this person's family, maybe something had been passed down from an ancestor/relative and there trying to adhere by it. I thought it was nice anyway

Hmmm well that's the thing about tattoos. People see things differently.
Reply 1663
Still got ~2 hours to finish but here is the result so far:

Reply 1664
I have two fairly ambitious tattoo plans in the pipeline.

The most imminent one is a medium sized design on the shoulder blades. Story time! Since March last year I got diagnosed with cancer, had chemo, had surgery and am currently all clear. On the day I got diagnosed, I was sat in my room in halls feeling sorry for myself, and my flatmate comes charging in with this bubble wand he'd impulse bought from Sainsburys, all "I HAVE BUBBLES WOO". I responded with "well, I have cancer...". Then I decided "ah screw it, let's go play with bubbles anyway!". It set a precedent for how I dealt with being ill over the months that followed. Don't forget to have fun, find humour in small things, all that jazz.

So I'm getting a picture of what my cancer looks like under the microscope, I've asked my consultant to get hold of it for me from one of my own biopsies. That was an interesting conversation, haha! My cancer cells look kinda like this:
Ovary_GermCellTumors_Dysgerminoma8.jpg

The design is a bubble wand with bubbles flying out from one side of my shoulders to the others. The ones emerging from the wand are patterned with the cancer cells. Moving further away from the wand the pattern morphs into something beautiful.

The other plans I have need to wait a couple of years. I had a big surgery back in September leaving me with a long scar on my abdomen. When that's nicely healed up I'll make it pretty by "growing" some wildflowers up it :smile:
Original post by Cohen

The most imminent one is a medium sized design on the shoulder blades. Story time! Since March last year I got diagnosed with cancer, had chemo, had surgery and am currently all clear. On the day I got diagnosed, I was sat in my room in halls feeling sorry for myself, and my flatmate comes charging in with this bubble wand he'd impulse bought from Sainsburys, all "I HAVE BUBBLES WOO". I responded with "well, I have cancer...". Then I decided "ah screw it, let's go play with bubbles anyway!". It set a precedent for how I dealt with being ill over the months that followed. Don't forget to have fun, find humour in small things, all that jazz.

So I'm getting a picture of what my cancer looks like under the microscope, I've asked my consultant to get hold of it for me from one of my own biopsies. That was an interesting conversation, haha! My cancer cells look kinda like this:

The design is a bubble wand with bubbles flying out from one side of my shoulders to the others. The ones emerging from the wand are patterned with the cancer cells. Moving further away from the wand the pattern morphs into something beautiful.

The other plans I have need to wait a couple of years. I had a big surgery back in September leaving me with a long scar on my abdomen. When that's nicely healed up I'll make it pretty by "growing" some wildflowers up it :smile:

Your post made me cry :frown:
So glad you got the all clear, and that is a really nice idea for a tattoo.
Original post by Cohen

Aww sounds lovely :smile:
Is this tattoo design too girly ?

Firstly story time, I've had my fair share of problems recently, borderline depressive (I say that as I never got it medically diagnosed so don't want to make any false claims) and basically there was always two songs I turned to. The Streets- Stay Positive, and Oasis - Stop Crying Your Heart Out.

I was doodling today and came up with this..

An outline of a heart, curvy with bold black lines, with one continious line sweeping up and round from left to right, then continuing down by itself ie below the heart as just a single line which forms a teardrop at the bottom.

The teardrop would be more detailed, with less bold lines, and possibly have a spot of dark blue in the middle. The heart would have bold red lines following the shape around inside, but not all filled in.

I'm open for ideas on placement, but I'm leaning towards inside of wrist ?

Is the design too femine ? I've heard the inside of the wrist is very femine as well ? I'm a bit of a lad, going to Malia in July, regularly found down the pub, play football most weekends, big Liverpool fan, etc.. I don't want something my mates will look at and be like '..what?' So I thought I'd gage public opinion here as it'll probably be similar to theirs !
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RogueTrombonist
Is this tattoo design too girly ?

Firstly story time, I've had my fair share of problems recently, borderline depressive (I say that as I never got it medically diagnosed so don't want to make any false claims) and basically there was always two songs I turned to. The Streets- Stay Positive, and Oasis - Stop Crying Your Heart Out.

I was doodling today and came up with this..

An outline of a heart, curvy with bold black lines, with one continious line sweeping up and round from left to right, then continuing down by itself ie below the heart as just a single line which forms a teardrop at the bottom.

The teardrop would be more detailed, with less bold lines, and possibly have a spot of dark blue in the middle. The heart would have bold red lines following the shape around inside, but not all filled in.

I'm open for ideas on placement, but I'm leaning towards inside of wrist ?

Is the design too femine ? I've heard the inside of the wrist is very femine as well ? I'm a bit of a lad, going to Malia in July, regularly found down the pub, play football most weekends, big Liverpool fan, etc.. I don't want something my mates will look at and be like '..what?' So I thought I'd gage public opinion here as it'll probably be similar to theirs !

If you want a homage to the streets, perhaps a clipper lighter?
heyyy guys just wanted to ask how shoulderblade/back tattoos hurt in comparison to everywhere else??

my mum is doing my first tat for me in about three weeks and she's already hesitant about putting the needle in her own daughter so rather than give her reason to think important having second thoughts (which im not) i thought id ask you guys. Basically im getting a dreamcatcher on my left shoulderblade with one or two of the feathers slightly curving round onto my ribs. Im not scared or whatever just interested to know :h:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830i
Original post by stephie.u3
heyyy guys just wanted to ask how shoulderblade/back tattoos hurt in comparison to everywhere else??

my mum is doing my first tat for me in about three weeks and she's already hesitant about putting the needle in her own daughter so rather than give her reason to think important having second thoughts (which im not) i thought id ask you guys. Basically im getting a dreamcatcher on my left shoulderblade with one or two of the feathers slightly curving round onto my ribs. Im not scared or whatever just interested to know :h:

Please say your mum is an actual tattoo artist...

Well for the most part mine hurt roughly the same as the one on my ankle. Closer to the spine you go the worse it is, and it was slightly worse on my left side than my right (my tattoo artist says he gets that a lot, hurts less on your dominant side). Across the top of the shoulder blade was the worst though, where it's kind of muscly. Which was weird because I was expecting it to be worst when there was actually bone beneath it, but it wasn't.
All in all though it was easily bearable. I took a 10 minute break after he'd done the outline on one side, but just so I could have a drink and step out for some fresh air and then he did the rest of the outline and the shading with only like a minutes break for me to take a quick phone call. I have a low pain threshold as well, so if I can do it anyone can!
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Please say your mum is an actual tattoo artist...

Haha indeed she is:tongue: a bloody brilliant one too and she's only been doing it for less than a year
Original post by minimarshmallow
Well for the most part mine hurt roughly the same as the one on my ankle. Closer to the spine you go the worse it is, and it was slightly worse on my left side than my right (my tattoo artist says he gets that a lot, hurts less on your dominant side). Across the top of the shoulder blade was the worst though, where it's kind of muscly. Which was weird because I was expecting it to be worst when there was actually bone beneath it, but it wasn't.
All in all though it was easily bearable. I took a 10 minute break after he'd done the outline on one side, but just so I could have a drink and step out for some fresh air and then he did the rest of the outline and the shading with only like a minutes break for me to take a quick phone call. I have a low pain threshold as well, so if I can do it anyone can!

that's really interesting actually, i hadn't thought about it being on my less dominant side...ah well, that's where i want it:smile:

that's really interesting actually, i hadn't thought about it being on my less dominant side...ah well, that's where i want it:smile:

It wasn't a massive difference, but there was a difference. But if its only on one side you won't even notice really.

I would say to anyone else who might be getting something on both sides, get your less dominant side done first, it'll be easier then. After figuring that out with the outline, I made him shade the left first so I knew the right would hurt less...
Reply 1674
Got a consultation booked for the 28th, very excited!
Here's my tattoo, at almost 8 weeks.
Does it look ok? I still think it looks kinda wrinkly, I have been putting moisturiser on it like suggested.
Please excuse my not perfectly shaven legs. :s

Spoiler

Original post by Popppppy
Here's my tattoo, at almost 8 weeks.
Does it look ok? I still think it looks kinda wrinkly, I have been putting moisturiser on it like suggested.
Please excuse my not perfectly shaven legs. :s

Spoiler

That's totally fine. Keep moisturising if it you want to (maybe even use anti-wrinkle cream, hey, it might work), but it looks fine to me.
If you excuse my not shaven legs (dunno if you can even see it), here's mine at almost 18 months old, click it for bigger:

Spoiler

It's just the texture of the skin on your legs. My mum's and my mum's best friend's leg tattoos are the same as well. My back tattoo doesn't have that because the skin is different. My tattoo artists wife said as a general rule of thumb if you close your eyes and run your finger over it and can't tell the difference, there's nothing to worry about. She's covered in tattoos as well as being married to him so I trust her.
I know its natural to be worried, particularly if its your first but don't be.

Edit: Touch of anti-wrinkle moisturiser (the day cream I usually put on my face) and now it looks like this:

Spoiler

I think you can see better in this picture that the non-tattooed skin around it is exactly the same in terms of wrinkles as the tattooed skin.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aisha~~
Could do with some advice on prices; eventually going to get a full-back tat done. Right from the top of my ass to nape of the neck, and across the shoulders. Obviously I want someone truly exceptional to work on it. Any ideas of the initial outlay, and final cost of something that size? I realize it would take quite a while to do anyway, without factoring in having to pay gradually.

I have a full back piece, it's not massively detailed and took 30 hours. The total cost was £1500

Like I said though, it's not massively detailed but it gives you an idea I suppose.

The studio usually charges £60 an hour but because it was large work you end up getting a better deal. I paid £250 A session, usually went up to 6 hours.

I don't know whether it could be describes as 'truly exceptional' but for the style and design I wanted it's perfect for me, obviously more detailed and realistic pieces would take more time and money.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RachelWest
I have a full back piece, it's not massively detailed and took 30 hours. The total cost was £1500

Like I said though, it's not massively detailed but it gives you an idea I suppose.

The studio usually charges £60 an hour but because it was large work you end up getting a better deal. I paid £250 A session, usually went up to 6 hours.

60 quid an hour is still pretty decent
I have just got two in the space of four days!

new script.jpg

pumpkin resized.jpg

Quick Reply