The Student Room Group

AQA A Psychology Unit 4 Exam January 2012

Hey,

revising for my exam in june for unit 4 but was just wondering if anyone knew what the questions were for january 2012? It would be very helpful thank you! I'm doing schizophrenia, addiction and research methods.
Does anyone know the questions for schizophrenia and addiction? as I'm sure people may not remember the questions for research methods..

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by TiffanyJTR
Hey,

revising for my exam in june for unit 4 but was just wondering if anyone knew what the questions were for january 2012? It would be very helpful thank you! I'm doing schizophrenia, addiction and research methods.
Does anyone know the questions for schizophrenia and addiction? as I'm sure people may not remember the questions for research methods..

I think I uploaded the Jan 2012 paper on this site Before, check my past posts, or check psychexchange.com, its on there by me also
Reply 2
I cant find your previous post. Do you mind sending me a direct link to where you wrote what came up on unit 4 2012. Thank you.
Reply 3
Original post by lilekoe1
I cant find your previous post. Do you mind sending me a direct link to where you wrote what came up on unit 4 2012. Thank you.

I'm at work at the moment but if you go to psychexchange.com you will find the last Jan exam paper, I uploaded it there
Jan 2012 paper questions:

SZ
01 Discuss issues associated with the classification and/or diagnosis of schizophrenia.

addictive behaviour
09 Outline and evaluate the biological approach to explaining smoking behaviour.
(4 marks + 4 marks)
10 Andy is in his first year at university. He is a shy young man who lacks confidence in himself and worries about meeting new people. Since starting university, Andy has preferred to stay in his room, playing strategy games on the internet with his old school friends. Andy often plays all night which means that he sleeps in and misses his lectures. He is finding his course difficult and fears that he may fail his exams or drop out.
Use your knowledge of risk factors in the development of addiction to explain Andy’s addiction to the internet. (6 marks)
11 Outline and evaluate one psychological intervention aimed at reducing addictive behaviour.

Research methods

Two psychologists investigated the relationship between age and recall of medical advice. Previous research had shown that recall of medical advice tended to be poorer in older patients. The study was conducted at a doctor’s surgery and involved a sample of 30 patients aged between 18 and 78 years. They all saw the same doctor, who made notes of the advice that she gave during the consultation.
One of the psychologists interviewed each of the patients individually, immediately after they had seen the doctor. The psychologist asked each patient a set of questions about what the doctor had said about their diagnosis and treatment. The patients’ responses were recorded and then typed out. Working independently the psychologists compared each typed account with the doctor’s written notes in order to rate the accuracy of the accounts on a scale of 1–10. A high rating indicated that the patient’s recall was very accurate and a low rating indicated that the patient’s recall was very inaccurate.
The psychologists decided to propose a directional hypothesis. Why was a directional hypothesis appropriate in this case? (1 mark)
Write a suitable directional hypothesis for this investigation. (3 marks) The psychologists were careful to consider the issue of reliability during the study.
What is meant by reliability? (1 mark) Explain how the psychologists might have assessed the reliability of their ratings.
(3 marks)
This study collected both qualitative and quantitative data. From the description of the study above, identify the qualitative data and the quantitative data. (2 marks)
G/T78946/Jan12/PSYA4
The psychologists used Spearman’s rho to analyse the data from their investigation. They chose to use the 0.05 level of significance. The result gave a correlation coefficient of −0.52.
Give two reasons why the psychologists used Spearman’s rho to analyse the data.
(2 marks)
Using Table 1 below, state whether the result is significant or not significant and explain why. (2 marks)
Table 1: Extract from a table of critical values of Spearman’s rho (rs)
Level of significance for a one-tailed test

Level of significance for a two-tailed test

N=29
Calculated rs must equal or exceed the table (critical) value for significance at the level shown.
Explain what is meant by a Type 1 error. (2 marks) Use the information in Table 1 above to explain why the psychologists did not think that
they had made a Type 1 error in this case.

Hope this helps
Reply 5
Does anyone have the June 2012 Unit 4 past paper? Please reply asap
Reply 6
Original post by yandosk
Does anyone have the June 2012 Unit 4 past paper? Please reply asap

sorry for the late reply.

PSYA4 June 2012
Question Paper: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=189042&d=1356823352
Mark Scheme: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=190524&d=1357321881
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TiffanyJTR
Hey,

Heya!
I actually have a copy of the Jan 2012 paper in a pdf file. If you give me your email address I'll send it to you :smile:
Reply 8
Reply 9
Original post by yandosk
Thank you SO much!

no problem mate.
Reply 10
For the depression side of the exam would they repeat the same question as the previous exam? So Biological explanations was the question on the June 2012 paper, would they do that in the Jan 2013 one as well? I think classification and diagnosis of depression may come up as that has not been asked yet in any of the previous papers since jan 2010

Quick Reply

Latest