The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

If you like sleeping, don't stay in Rootes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by the_mclemon
Absolutely seconded! Rootes was my fourth choice and I put down that I wanted to be in a quiet area ): I'm in D block, so the furthest from the SU, but I can still usually hear it; the issues with hearing EVERY SINGLE DOOR SHUT is also very pertinent for me! The biggest problem I have is with my next door neighbour, who is a foreign student and therefore calls his family back home at crazy times in the morning because of the time difference, I suppose. The walls are so thin though that no matter how quietly he takls I can still hear every word! It doesn't help that I have a 15mm gap under my door either, every little noise gets to me |:
Counting the days until I move out!

Wow, I can't believe I missed your post! Someone feels my pain. X)

Where are you living next year?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
I understand why you'd be frustrated at people making excessive noise by the way, but seriously a guy and a girl sitting in their room TALKING? What's the issue there?

It's the middle of the night. That's the entire issue. I agree that what they're doing isn't inherently bad, nor are they being supremely selfish, but everyone knows how un-soundproof Rootes is. We've all been told to STFU this term, both in a meeting we all had at the start of term and in a subsequent email recently. He (they) has been talked to before about it and yet they still persist. I know I shouldn't answer the question of 'what is the issue' when that's what the entire ****ing thread is about, but it really frustrates me. Honestly, next year in the house off campus I will finally have peace at night and I'm bloody well looking forward to that.
Original post by morrison11
It's the middle of the night. That's the entire issue. I agree that what they're doing isn't inherently bad, nor are they being supremely selfish, but everyone knows how un-soundproof Rootes is. We've all been told to STFU this term, both in a meeting we all had at the start of term and in a subsequent email recently. He (they) has been talked to before about it and yet they still persist. I know I shouldn't answer the question of 'what is the issue' when that's what the entire ****ing thread is about, but it really frustrates me. Honestly, next year in the house off campus I will finally have peace at night and I'm bloody well looking forward to that.

Thing is I think when it gets to being as extreme as people talking to each other in another room bothering you, it becomes your problem.
Reply 23
Thing is I think when it gets to being as extreme as people talking to each other in another room bothering you, it becomes your problem.

'Bothering me' = keeping me up all night. -_-
Reply 24
I'm a sensitive sleeper, and Rootes has been a bit of a hell for me at night. It's a massive hassle to go to bed at any kind of reasonable time, since the SU will be booming bassy music till like 2am with the noise of hundreds of loud party goers also drifting across to Rootes. Then after this, you'll get the re-arrival of people till about 4am, being sure to make as much noise as possible to let everyone know that they're drunk and HAVING A GREAT TIME. Usually after this it's pretty safe to go to bed, but since the sun rises at 5am you feel a bit dumb going to bed so late.

Rootes suffers not only from being close to the SU noise-wise, but attracts the party-goers which will guarrentee at least one group of people making a big ol' noise at at least one point in the middle of the night and also is not a soundproof building by any means.

Being one of the oldest accommodation blocks on campus, you will hear every door close, every tap being used, every random thud and people stomping up and down stairs and through the corridors. Not to mention people talking inside the building or playing music, that's very much audible no matter where you are too.

I just make this thread now, at 6:30am, as I've been kept up super-late for the second night in a row. Tonight I've had to deal with the usual noise till about 3:30am, but from there on, I've been kept up by people talking in the room below me. I don't know what their deal is with pulling an all nighter with one another, but I've been lying in bed for hours listening to the intonations in their speech, with the occasional loud laugh or random noise.

It's just incredibly frustrating for someone like me who needs a lot of sleep and struggles to get to sleep unless it's silent. Tonight may be an extreme case where I've not been able to sleep at all, but the point still very much stands that I've had a torrid time sleep-wise here and can't wait to be living elsewhere next year. Where I'll be free to sleep whenever I want.

There is a pub called Kelsey's Bar in Leamington that is in quite a quiet area and you can rent the flats above it. The patronage is quite calm so even on nights out the regulars tend to keep out the standard student population. You should look into it for next year.
'Bothering me' = keeping me up all night. -_-

Well get sleeping tablets or something. It's not their problem.
Reply 26
Well get sleeping tablets or something. It's not their problem.

It also wouldn't be their problem if they were having a party all night every night..

And I'm the one with bad rep on this forum...
It also wouldn't be their problem if they were having a party all night every night..

And I'm the one with bad rep on this forum...

I think if they're partying all night in the block then that's excessive and should be stopped but if you get pissy over some people having a chat past your bedtime then that's your own problem.
Reply 28
I think if they're partying all night in the block then that's excessive and should be stopped but if you get pissy over some people having a chat past your bedtime then that's your own problem.

Okay, there is NO WAY you aren't trolling. XD I'm dunn.
Okay, there is NO WAY you aren't trolling. XD I'm dunn.

Not trolling as such. I'm making a serious point, but I did get a little cute with choice of words.
Original post by Bobifier
There is a pub called Kelsey's Bar in Leamington that is in quite a quiet area and you can rent the flats above it. The patronage is quite calm so even on nights out the regulars tend to keep out the standard student population. You should look into it for next year.

And if they need a nightcap to help them sleep, they do some wonderful drinks there. There's a green one that my mate swears by.
Wow, I can't believe I missed your post! Someone feels my pain. X)

Where are you living next year?

Leamington :3 You?
I'm a sensitive sleeper, and Rootes has been a bit of a hell for me at night. It's a massive hassle to go to bed at any kind of reasonable time, since the SU will be booming bassy music till like 2am with the noise of hundreds of loud party goers also drifting across to Rootes. Then after this, you'll get the re-arrival of people till about 4am, being sure to make as much noise as possible to let everyone know that they're drunk and HAVING A GREAT TIME. Usually after this it's pretty safe to go to bed, but since the sun rises at 5am you feel a bit dumb going to bed so late.

Rootes suffers not only from being close to the SU noise-wise, but attracts the party-goers which will guarrentee at least one group of people making a big ol' noise at at least one point in the middle of the night and also is not a soundproof building by any means.

Being one of the oldest accommodation blocks on campus, you will hear every door close, every tap being used, every random thud and people stomping up and down stairs and through the corridors. Not to mention people talking inside the building or playing music, that's very much audible no matter where you are too.

I just make this thread now, at 6:30am, as I've been kept up super-late for the second night in a row. Tonight I've had to deal with the usual noise till about 3:30am, but from there on, I've been kept up by people talking in the room below me. I don't know what their deal is with pulling an all nighter with one another, but I've been lying in bed for hours listening to the intonations in their speech, with the occasional loud laugh or random noise.

It's just incredibly frustrating for someone like me who needs a lot of sleep and struggles to get to sleep unless it's silent. Tonight may be an extreme case where I've not been able to sleep at all, but the point still very much stands that I've had a torrid time sleep-wise here and can't wait to be living elsewhere next year. Where I'll be free to sleep whenever I want.

Probably a bit late now... but I was put in Rootes in first year and hated it, though more because my floor was too quiet and my ceiling leaked more than the noise. But anyway, I emailed the accommodation people directly to request a transfer, and they gave me a room in Tocil within the week (this was week 10 of term 1). I have found that if you go through the official process of transfers, it is unlikely that you will get one, but as other posters have said, there are plenty of rooms available on campus at the moment, since lots of erasmus students have left etc.
Wanna make out?

I'd rather just keep stealing your milk :turban:
Reply 34
Leamington :3 You?

I'm someplace near campus, with a friend who owns a house [and a couple others]. Wasn't the original plan, but the group I'd intended to live with, we didn't really get our acts together and all the good houses near campus we'd wanted were taken. I'm still happy though, this place I'm living next year has an AWESOME KITCHEN :3
Reply 35
Original post by I<3Morrison11
I'd rather just keep stealing your milk :turban:

y u gotta stalk me tho >.<
I'm someplace near campus, with a friend who owns a house [and a couple others]. Wasn't the original plan, but the group I'd intended to live with, we didn't really get our acts together and all the good houses near campus we'd wanted were taken. I'm still happy though, this place I'm living next year has an AWESOME KITCHEN :3

Haha nice one! I'm only in a three, in a tiny terrace house, but our kitchen is going to be actually clean and hopefully real cooking will be done! Bliss!
Reply 37
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
does it make you say ROOTES, BLOODY ROOTES!!!!!

I laughed way too much at that.
Reply 38
Haha nice one! I'm only in a three, in a tiny terrace house, but our kitchen is going to be actually clean and hopefully real cooking will be done! Bliss!

Yeah, hopefully the nice kitchen will inspire me to cook more. The kitchen in Rootes is horrible (not half because people don't understand the concept of washing up) :P
Reply 39
I'm from an 'affluent' part of the country but I'm in Rootes. Myth busted. :tongue:

Not saying it's hard and fast - all I'm saying is the number of people I know who had Rootes as a first choice who ended up in Bluebell or JM (4th or 5th choice) is astonishing.

Quick Reply

Latest