The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Student finance

Ok so withthe high tuition fees we may be able to get a free grant. The "may" in here means "might be able to", right? And does anyone know wether the grant will be aivable each year of the studies and how likely it is for someone to get it?
I tried calling the Student Finance Europe Team, but they didn't pick up the phone, even though there is about half an hour of businesshours left. I'll be trying again tomorrow morning, but I thought maybe any of you has a clue.
Reply 1
I'm applying for student finance at the moment and the only option for a free grant is the one depending on your families income (I think). Then you get your tuition fee loan and your maintenance loan :smile: urgh bring on the debt
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
No, on the student finance wales site it says the grant does not depend on your income, at least for eu students (but according to eu law the tuiton fee loans and grants and fees are same for eu students and home students all around eu).
Anyway, I decided that I'll just send off the form and see what happens. I can't reach the number I'm supposed to call so whatever.
Reply 3
ah are you welsh? or non-UK? that could be different. I'm english and as such get massively shafted by the government. :smile:
Reply 4
Non-UK.
But why do the fees differ in UK for Welsh and English students? I though the UK was more of a one big homogeneous nation. I mean, my parent's generation calls UK one big England.

"When you go to university in another EU country, as an EU citizen you are entitled to pay the same course fees as a national. This treatment does not extend to support or maintenance grants and loans. Some countries may nevertheless choose to provide maintenance grants to foreign students, on their own initiative." from the eu site.
Reply 5
Original post by Elevant
Non-UK.
But why do the fees differ in UK for Welsh and English students? I though the UK was more of a one big homogeneous nation. I mean, my parent's generation calls UK one big England.

"When you go to university in another EU country, as an EU citizen you are entitled to pay the same course fees as a national. This treatment does not extend to support or maintenance grants and loans. Some countries may nevertheless choose to provide maintenance grants to foreign students, on their own initiative." from the eu site.

In the UK the English are most unlucky, having to pay the full fees wherever they go, whereas in Wales if you are a Welsh student you only pay £3465ish for tuition fees (i think its what it said on my form) and Scottish studends get it for free in Scotland!? The U.K is not like one big England anymore, its a lot more divided into the seperate countries than it use to be I would say!
Reply 6
Are the wages in England highest? But it's unfair, isn't it?

(I was just watching Waterloo Road (the series about the school) and a teacher had to pay 404 pounds a week to keep his wife in a home, pay mortage and something else and he still could have had a pound a week for food. He must have had a very high wage from my point of view. 404 pounds is about twice the minimum monthly wage in here and I can't say we are a poor nation. Hey, we have the lowest dept in Europe. I was amazed.)
Reply 7
Original post by Elevant
Are the wages in England highest? But it's unfair, isn't it?

(I was just watching Waterloo Road (the series about the school) and a teacher had to pay 404 pounds a week to keep his wife in a home, pay mortage and something else and he still could have had a pound a week for food. He must have had a very high wage from my point of view. 404 pounds is about twice the minimum monthly wage in here and I can't say we are a poor nation. Hey, we have the lowest dept in Europe. I was amazed.)

Im not 100% sure about wages in England, but i think they are similar to the rest of the uk if not the same! £404 a week works out at roughly £21,000 a year which is ok, nothing special though! I know teachers in my school get paid roughly £25,000-£30,000 a year, depending on what they do and sometimes are paid more! Teachers are very well paid though!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
yeah it's not fair at all but we just cope with it I guess, and there's no point getting pissy about it because nothing will change and we'll probably only make enemies! :P

maybe that's why you get a grant, because according to what you posted EU students may get a separate grant?
Reply 9
From what I read I understood that everyone in UK and EU get the same treatment, only internationals have different fees and conditions. I guess I didn't read too carefully :P

Quick Reply

Latest