Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hogwarts Student Population

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK so as a fan, I have read the series on numerous occasions.

The book tells us that there are only 5 guys in Harry's dorm in first year (and all the way through school). If you add 5 more for the girls dorm, that makes 10 people in one year in one house. Multiply 10 by 4 for the 4 houses: that makes 40 people on one year

Finally, 40 x 7 (since there are 7 years) makes 280 students inHogwarts. Yet, Rowling claimed that there are 1000 students.... HOW!?

So confused
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I guess there could be more than one dorm room in each place?
    As in along with the 5 people in Harry's dorm there could be more rooms of 5?
    That's how I imagined it anyway...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katterson)
    I guess there could be more than one dorm room in each place?
    As in along with the 5 people in Harry's dorm there could be more rooms of 5?
    That's how I imagined it anyway...
    But each dorm is clearly labelled with the year. For example, Harry's dorm was first labelled '1st Years' then '2nd Years' etc, implying that everyone in that year Sherwood there.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    maybe there are those that cant afford on-campus accomodation and live in cheap muggle homes off campus ?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always wondered this too. Perhaps the Gryffindor intake was just particularly small in Harry's year?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    I always wondered this too. Perhaps the Gryffindor intake was just particularly small in Harry's year?
    I spotted it and always hoped it would get it explained, but, sigh, it never did. I guess it was a mistake, perish the thought.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    OMG Ive always wondered this too! And it's pretty lucky if there are only 40 magical kids each year for intake, evenly split by gender!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    This has always baffled me. Also where are the dormitories for all the other years? seems strange that they are never mentioned and harry's dorm is simply relabelled every year...

maybe im just dumb.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    why does there have to be logic in this? they use magic darn you!
    its as simple as opening the door and it being relevant to your dorm >.>
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Had to google this and found:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Muggles...s_and_duration

At the bottom it says:

"Class size is typically thirty students, according to information in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. This gives a total student population of about 840, 210 (thirty per year, times seven years) or so in each House. Readers may be confused by the fact that at most five boys and five girls of each house in each year are named. At least one fan site has published information apparently received from the author that she had only developed characters for ten students in each year, and had decided that was enough, but that the number of students was intended to be about thirty per house per year. She has also variously given the student population as 600 or 1,000."
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Maybe different year groups have different numbers of people. There are likely to be different numbers of magical people born each year so, assuming that every magical child of the same age is given a place at hogwarts, the numbers of students in different year groups is likely to vary. We only have a limited amount of information concerning a certain year group of a certain house. There's a level of uncertainty involved in the sorting and so on- its not like the professors can sit down and assign rooms before students show up. I don't think its such a rigid prescribed thing like in muggle schools. Hope that made sense
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ok, this may not neccessarily be about the topic, but i have always wondered what happens to the teachers' families, what it one of the Professors has children or husbands/wives etc. do they stay at the school with them, otherwise they would only see them during the holidays like the students?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitcaite)
    ok, this may not neccessarily be about the topic, but i have always wondered what happens to the teachers' families, what it one of the Professors has children or husbands/wives etc. do they stay at the school with them, otherwise they would only see them during the holidays like the students?
    I think this is mentioned in pottermore I think they live in Hogsmeade and "commute" :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Enough to fit on a cramped Hogwart's Express commuter service. Ergo, not as many as you think.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    I think this is mentioned in pottermore I think they live in Hogsmeade and "commute" :P
    Thank you! Unfortunately pottermore have screwed up my access and i STILL do not have an account
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    I'm in pottermore and I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere??
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    I'm in pottermore and I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere??
    It is mentioned when you learn all about McGonagall.

Spoiler:
    Show
    She commuted from Hogsmead for a short time when she was married

But I think that there are a lot more characters per year than are named by JK Rowling. I think in the third book where the Gryffindors are with the boggart there are about three more changes of boggart mentioned than would be neccessary for the 8 that are actually named (Harry, Ron, Seamus, Dean, Neville, Hermione, Parvati and Lavander) which would suggest there is at least three more characters in their year in Gryffindor who are never mentioned by name. So I guess it is plausible that there are 1000 students but we only hear about the important ones.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    JK's handwritten list of every student in Harry's year
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're assuming that Harry's year of Gryffindors is a typical year.

Magical incidence may not be constant; it could be that the numbers of witches and wizards born between September 1st 1980 and August 31st 1981 was unusually low - don't forget, there was a war going on, people may not have been so keen to have children.

You've also assumed that the students are equally distributed amongst the houses, which there is no evidence for. There may have been an unusually low number of courageous first years that year, and instead they all went to Hufflepuff (because there always seems to be a huge crowd of anonymous Hufflepuff students hanging around, which kind of makes sense when you consider it's the loose-ends house.)

Why did I write that so seriously...?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reagan Smash)
    It is mentioned when you learn all about McGonagall.

Spoiler:
    Show
    She commuted from Hogsmead for a short time when she was married

But I think that there are a lot more characters per year than are named by JK Rowling. I think in the third book where the Gryffindors are with the boggart there are about three more changes of boggart mentioned than would be neccessary for the 8 that are actually named (Harry, Ron, Seamus, Dean, Neville, Hermione, Parvati and Lavander) which would suggest there is at least three more characters in their year in Gryffindor who are never mentioned by name. So I guess it is plausible that there are 1000 students but we only hear about the important ones.
    oh cool. yeah i didn't take that to mean that all teachers live in hogsmeade but that would make sense.

wow i never would have thought of that!

what house are you in? the hat put me in slytherin.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.