The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Physics 2011-2012 Discussion/Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
We've had Unit One finished for a couple of weeks now but we're self teaching so we can pace ourselves however we want which is good. :smile:
We're about a week away from finishing unit 1.
Reply 42
Sitting my NAB a week today. c:
Reply 43
Damn... I had a Unit 1 practice NAB before the october holidays and got 22/30 in it yet today i had the real one and don't think I've done well in it at all.
Original post by Aiden
Hey guys, so my school was strugling to find me a teacher to teach AH physics. But a few weeks into the first term it was all sorted. Just want to know what unit/ topic eveeyone is on so i know how far behind we are. We have just completed SHM. :smile:

That's fine then.
Reply 45
Yay :biggrin:

30/30 in my Unit 2 mid unit test :smile: hehe
Reply 46
WTF just sat my unit 1 NAB today, how have you guys finished unit 1 weeks ago? Just started unit 2 last week...
Reply 47
Original post by Arianto
WTF just sat my unit 1 NAB today, how have you guys finished unit 1 weeks ago? Just started unit 2 last week...

Me and John are doing all three units at the same time with different teachers :wink:
Reply 48
Yep, we are :wink: Didn't mean to scare you, haha

3 teacher, 3 units all at the same time :0
Good in some ways (we'll be finished the course by mid January, but all the NABs will come at the same time! :frown:
Reply 49
Hey guys! :biggrin: I just found this thread, and since it's getting close to the prelims, I thought I'd share this with you!

http://www.highlandlearning.org.uk/physics/

A friend of mine found this website, basically, they've recorded every lesson in the AH Physics course and posted it on the site, there's also other resources like practice questions etc. From what I've watched so far, it's great - especially if you've missed a specific lesson if you've been off, or if you just didn't understand it!

Enjoy! :biggrin:

P.S. You can download the video lessons as .mp4 videos (or as podcasts in iTunes), I'd recommend doing this for them because the site can go down from time to time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Anybody wanna help me with the SHM question?

A body, which is moving with SHM, has an amplitude of 0.05 m and a frequency of 40Hz.
a) Find the period of the motion
Worked this out to be 0.025s
b) State an appropriate equation describing the motion I got x=0.05cos(0.025t) ?
c) i) Calculate the acceleration at the mid-point of the motion and at the position of maximum amplitude I don't get what the mid point is :s-smilie:
ii) Calculate the maximum speed of the body and state at which point in the motion this speed occurs

I just really don't get it :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by laughylolly

A body, which is moving with SHM, has an amplitude of 0.05 m and a frequency of 40Hz.
b) State an appropriate equation describing the motion I got x=0.05cos(0.025t) ?
c) i) Calculate the acceleration at the mid-point of the motion and at the position of maximum amplitude I don't get what the mid point is :s-smilie:
ii) Calculate the maximum speed of the body and state at which point in the motion this speed occurs

a and b are correct. The midpoint is when the displacement x = 0, and the maximum amplitude point is when |x| is maximal, which for this question is when x reaches the amplitude, so +/-0.5. The midpoint is called so because the oscillation is from -0.5 to 0.5 backwards and forwards, with 0 being the middle.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ukdragon37
a and b are correct. The midpoint is when the displacement x = 0, and the maximum amplitude point is when |x| is maximal, which for this question is when x reaches the amplitude, so +/-0.5. The midpoint is called so because the oscillation is from -0.5 to 0.5 backwards and forwards, with 0 being the middle.

thank you!!
Reply 53
Wow. Looks like this thread's been pretty dead for the past few months (No ****, Sherlock...) :tongue:

How's everyone feeling about the exam then? Two weeks on Monday.... :eek:
Original post by laughylolly

I just really don't get it :frown:

I understand this is an old post, although I'm pretty sure that the part b is wrong since the equation of motion is described as 'y=Acos(wt)' and you have put in the Period rather than the angular velocity.

Which should be 80pi

Therefore eqn should state: x=0.05cos(80pi*t)
Reply 55
Don't mean to be rude but i couldn't find a higher physics thread in 2012, so i thought what's a better idea than asking questions to people who have took higher phsycis before:smile:

Basically, my exam is under 2 weeks and people tell me the best way to revise is doing past papers. But unlike maths, i can't find worked solutions anywhere on the internet for the multiple choice questions for previous past papers. Also for the more practical question the answers in the sqa marking solutions are vague and don't tell you how you get to that answer.

Thanks!
Original post by SameerM
I understand this is an old post, although I'm pretty sure that the part b is wrong since the equation of motion is described as 'y=Acos(wt)' and you have put in the Period rather than the angular velocity.

Which should be 80pi

Therefore eqn should state: x=0.05cos(80pi*t)

Yeah, I did get that question okay. Was just a silly mistake. Thank you for your reply anyways.
Original post by StudyAk
Don't mean to be rude but i couldn't find a higher physics thread in 2012, so i thought what's a better idea than asking questions to people who have took higher phsycis before:smile:

Basically, my exam is under 2 weeks and people tell me the best way to revise is doing past papers. But unlike maths, i can't find worked solutions anywhere on the internet for the multiple choice questions for previous past papers. Also for the more practical question the answers in the sqa marking solutions are vague and don't tell you how you get to that answer.

Thanks!

Yeah, exactly, so if you have any question that you don't quite understand completely then don't hesitate to post up your queries.
Reply 58
I've been doing past papers and my results seem to range from 65%-75%, which means I'm likely to just scrape an A, or just miss out on one. Any tips on how to get my grades up to a more comfortable A? There's no specific topic which I drop marks in.
Reply 59
Original post by James94
I've been doing past papers and my results seem to range from 65%-75%, which means I'm likely to just scrape an A, or just miss out on one. Any tips on how to get my grades up to a more comfortable A? There's no specific topic which I drop marks in.

If you're anything like me, you'll be dropping the marks from explanation questions and small maths mistakes. Just learn the definitions/explanations as well as you possibly can and be extremely thorough when checking over your maths, especially if an answer seems wrong. I tend to be a lot more thorough in the final exam, so this normally works in my favour as I can correct a few mistakes before handing it in.

Quick Reply