The Student Room Group

Graduates with AAA-ABB at A-level - How much do you earn!

Hi,

I wanted to see how fellow high achieving students with AAA-ABB at A-level earn once they graduate.

Anyone care to shed some enlightenment, doesn't matter if you're unemployed either!

This is because I achieved AAA at A-level and left a good R.G university after one year because I didn't enjoy my course and had too much fun basically. Then I started in a job within finance on £16k as a junior and now potentially can receive a job offer with another bank which will pay £26-29k. I'm just 20 currently and still contemplating about going back to university or not..

Many Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
29k at 20 is very good image watching this

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 2
This is so vague.

Depends on the university.

Depends on the course.

Depends on other areas of the C.V. (Such as previous experience).

Where they live.

Stupid stupid question.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by diggy
29k at 20 is very good image watching this

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Most likely will be £26/27k tbh..
Reply 4
Original post by iPodTunes
Hi,

I wanted to see how fellow high achieving students with AAA-ABB at A-level earn once they graduate.

Anyone care to shed some enlightenment, doesn't matter if you're unemployed either!

This is because I achieved AAA at A-level and left a good R.G university after one year because I didn't enjoy my course and had too much fun basically. Then I started in a job within finance on £16k as a junior and now potentially can receive a job offer with another bank which will pay £26-29k. I'm just 20 currently and still contemplating about going back to university or not..

Many Thanks

Sounds like you'll have done well for yourself if you end up getting that job.

For the sake of comparison; I am 22, got AAB at A-Level and completed my degree yesterday :biggrin: (well technically graduate next month). I'm joining one of the big4 on 28k. Where perhaps it might diverge is in earning potential. On my graduate scheme I expect to reach 45k+ within 3 years, whereas you might not get that within a non-graduate position such as the one you mentioned. However you may well do, I don't know, up to you to research that one. But bear that in mind when making your decision, if that 26-29k you mentioned will rise quickly then go for it, but if you're going to get stuck with minimal rises then perhaps consider a degree. That said, many 'graduate' jobs don't really offer great prospects anyway, so perhaps I'm talking rubbish :tongue:

All in all, 26-29k at 20 sounds very lucrative.

Edit: Oh and it's also worth considering what type of banking you're interested in. Certain types (Investment Banking) make a shed load on graduate schemes, but are very competitive.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by M1011
Sounds like you'll have done well for yourself if you end up getting that job.

For the sake of comparison; I am 22, got AAB at A-Level and completed my degree yesterday :biggrin: (well technically graduate next month). I'm joining one of the big4 on 28k. Where perhaps it might diverge is in earning potential. On my graduate scheme I expect to reach 45k+ within 3 years, whereas you might not get that within a non-graduate position such as the one you mentioned. However you may well do, I don't know, up to you to research that one. But bear that in mind when making your decision, if that 26-29k you mentioned will rise quickly then go for it, but if you're going to get stuck with minimal rises then perhaps consider a degree. That said, many 'graduate' jobs don't really offer great prospects anyway, so perhaps I'm talking rubbish :tongue:

All in all, 26-29k at 20 sounds very lucrative.

Edit: Oh and it's also worth considering what type of banking you're interested in. Certain types (Investment Banking) make a shed load on graduate schemes, but are very competitive.

I would say for your job the opportunities outweigh the salary, as is the case on a number of decent grad schemes too. Seems to be more prominent amongst Big 4 though!
Reply 6
I didn't even do A-Levels but I currently earn 28k per annum and as a bonus am exempt from paying tax.
Reply 7
This is silly question because it totally depends on the field, but you should read this for starting salaries: http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport12.pdf. The sort of graduates its talking about will be the ones who got AAA/AAB.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ForKicks
I would say for your job the opportunities outweigh the salary, as is the case on a number of decent grad schemes too. Seems to be more prominent amongst Big 4 though!

Yea I agree with you there. Plus thinking about it, one has to factor in that the annual earning are not for a years work, given you spend months in college working towards professional qualifications (which in addition they pay for). I'd say if you adjust for those two factors you're probably well into the mid 30s in actuality.

Original post by O'Donovan
I didn't even do A-Levels but I currently earn 28k per annum and as a bonus am exempt from paying tax.

May I please share your tax exemptions :smile:
Reply 9
£45k + 50-80% performance related bonus + BUPA healthcare + golden hello £5000 + relocation bonus £2500.
Original post by . .
This is so vague.

Depends on the university.

Depends on the course.

Depends on other areas of the C.V. (Such as previous experience).

Where they live.

Stupid stupid question.

Yeh I know I mean where to even begin to answer this.

OP is expecting "If you get AAA at A-Level you're gonna earn 40k when your 21 WITHOUT EXCEPTIONS lol" and "If you get CCC you'll work in Mcdonalds"
Reply 11
Currently, a grand total of £0.00 per annum.

(I'm doing further study).
Did a BTEC National Diploma which most people on TSR would consider far worse (got triple distinction which is supposed to be 'equivalent' to AAA at A-level but was pretty easy), didn't go to a RG/top 10 uni and started at £28k + bonus in June, up to £31k so far and will be getting another payrise soon.
Reply 13
Original post by fail@maths
£45k + 50-80% performance related bonus + BUPA healthcare + golden hello £5000 + relocation bonus £2500.

Where do you work and where can I apply? :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by Exopaladin
Did a BTEC National Diploma which most people on TSR would consider far worse (got triple distinction which is supposed to be 'equivalent' to AAA at A-level but was pretty easy), didn't go to a RG/top 10 uni and started at £28k + bonus in June, up to £31k so far and will be getting another payrise soon.

I'm also doing a btec. Can I ask what btec you done and what uni you went to?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Original post by sz16
I'm also doing a btec. Can I ask what btec you done and what uni you went to?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000

IT Practitioners (Software Development) BTEC, studied computer science at the University of Kent.
Original post by M1011
Where do you work and where can I apply? :tongue:

Asset Management. You can apply from August onwards for a graduate place position, and I would advise on a summer internship before hand to be in with a good chance, however this isn't mandatory.
Reply 17
Original post by fail@maths
Asset Management. You can apply from August onwards for a graduate place position, and I would advise on a summer internship before hand to be in with a good chance, however this isn't mandatory.

What bank is the job at is it bulge bracket?
Reply 18
Original post by iPodTunes
Most likely will be £26/27k tbh..

What is your job if you don't mind saying?
Reply 19
This thread shows you don't need a masters undergraduate degree or undergraduate and masters degree to get a well paid job. You can earn a high salary with just a bachelor degree or even just having A levels.

I though staying the extra year in University to do a 4 year undergraduate, 3 year undergraduate and masters or doing a placement at University would help in finding a well paid job. Doesn't seem like it, according to this thread.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest