The Student Room Group

Imperial Postgraduate Applications 2012

Scroll to see replies

Again, well done. :smile: I'm sure that extra experience (which is superb) helped make your application stronger.

Sounds like you can't wait to get on the course.

At King's, I applied for the MRes in translational cancer medicine. They emailed me weeks ago saying they gonna interview me (I have to wait till June)..which has annoyed me, as I was getting offers in from other places and didn't want to wait sooo long. Its their loss, if I end up not going there.

Almost £600, now I can see why you want to wait a little before committing. I assume its non-refundable if don't take up your offer in the end?

When I get my official Imperial offer, I'll have to pay about £550 deposit.
Reply 421
Yeah unfortunately it is not refundable.
I am a mature student with a background in retail management and property development,and only 3 years ago decided to give up a comfortable life to go back to studying and follow my passion for medical research so am extremely happy with the results obtained, still can't believe it.
Best of luck in deciding about your interview at King's and considering you have been offered a place at Imperial, well definitely their loss! :smile:
I'll keep you posted on my situation...
I'm also a mature student, plotting a career change. My background: HR and business consultant in banking/finance sector. Gave it up 4 yrs ago for the same reason as you...to follow my passion :smile:

As you...have done well to get this far and now on the brink to p/g studies at one of the world's best uni's...If it all works out..I should write a book about it.
Reply 423
Oh man, that is fantastic! I always make the assumption that I am the only mature student with an unusual background which also includes studies in cognitive psychology and mechanical engineering many years ago (both suspended), and an interest for anthropology and philosophy.
Maybe our paths will cross at either King’s or Imperial, who knows! But whatever choice you make please let me know how you get on.
Reply 424
I have just received an email from King's, great news! They agreed to extend my offer till 23rd June :smile:
Original post by skyliner
Oh man, that is fantastic! I always make the assumption that I am the only mature student with an unusual background which also includes studies in cognitive psychology and mechanical engineering many years ago (both suspended), and an interest for anthropology and philosophy.
Maybe our paths will cross at either King’s or Imperial, who knows! But whatever choice you make please let me know how you get on.

:wink: U are a man of many skills hey! Amazing!!!

I sometimes forget how blessed I am to be able to follow my passion and go for it...many mature people I know, don't ever get the chance.

My wife's into CBT :biggrin:.

I do hope our paths cross in the near future :cool: Are you from the South or from up North?
I have just received an email from King's, great news! They agreed to extend my offer till 23rd June :smile:

WOOOHOOO :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Excellent. Now you can focus on that Imperial interview and hopefully get it...you'll then only have one deposit to pay.

Let's just hope they interview and give you feedback before that date.
Reply 427
Nice, I've been living in London (central) since 2001 but am originally from Italy.
What about you?
Nice, I've been living in London (central) since 2001 but am originally from Italy.
What about you?

I live in Essex, so will be commuting into London (isn't ideal but I have no choice). I'm from South Africa originally.
Reply 429
Ah, I hate commuting, especially in the morning. I live about 15-20 min away by tube to both Imperial and King's and am already thinking I should maybe find a place a bit closer to whichever I'll go to, walking distance you know. Although the rent in both areas is ridiculously expensive.
It'd be good to keep in touch,man.
You lucky devil :smile:...20mins is nothing compared to the 1hr and 20mins I'll have to do to get to Imperial. Like they say....no pain no gain. Its a sacrifice I'm willing to take and over the years I've done my fair share of commuting.

Nothing is going to stop me from achieving my goals....not even the UK public transport system! LOL!
Hi guys/gals,

I finally received my official offer and on the student e-service it says I have to pay 10% deposit (that I am aware of) and the following item need to be confirmed: "Official confirmation of the award of Bachelor's degree with First Class Honours to be confirmed by the original university transcript OR the Statement of Qualifications form which must be completed by the administrative authorities at your university."

Those who have already paid their deposits and done this, do I have to send them (in the post) a copy of my degree certificate and/or transcripts?

Many Thanks
Reply 432
Wow 1 hour 20 min, you sure are prepared to do anything to achieve your goals! :smile:
Congrats on your official offer at Imperial, what an amazing opportunity, you must be so proud of yourself. I think if a funded Phd is what you are after then you could not choose a better course to secure one next year.
Hey skyliner...thx man. Thats exactly my plan (as I'm sure its your plan as well :wink:)
Reply 434
ha ha, how did you guess that? :smile:
Although I find King's a little friendlier and possibly more suitable to me, I do believe the Mres at Imperial could offer more opportunities for future Phd studies. They are both extremely good universities, regardless of league tables, but this particular master's at Imperial is specifically aimed to obtain a funded Phd afterwards; 90% of the students on the programme go on to do a Phd according to their website...must be true.
ha ha, how did you guess that? :smile:
Although I find King's a little friendlier and possibly more suitable to me, I do believe the Mres at Imperial could offer more opportunities for future Phd studies. They are both extremely good universities, regardless of league tables, but this particular master's at Imperial is specifically aimed to obtain a funded Phd afterwards; 90% of the students on the programme go on to do a Phd according to their website...must be true.

:biggrin: Great minds think alike. I guess you right.

You've been to King's and have an offer, which I don't. The Imperial course is quite unique and I guess you cannot compare it to anything at King's. I saw the 90% of students......advertised on the MRes pages...I wonder how accurate that is...it would be nice to get proper stats on that, other than Imperial just stating it in bold...:colone:. I do believe that many go on to further studies, as I checked some profiles of PhD students on some of the research pages at Imperial. They do seem to offer opportunities to students (MSc, MRes, etc.) at Imperial.

Did you know that to do a PhD at Imperial, you "must" have a Masters...where most uni's will consider very good applicants with just BSc's, Imperial prefer applicants with Masters for PhD positions. I read that somewhere on their website (http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/entryrequirements/graduate).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 436
Ave Cesare!
I have not actually been to King's,
I received un unconditional offer literally a couple days after my second reference was submitted without an interview (I was hoping for the same at Imperial as I hate interviews! :smile: ).
My opinion about the place is merely based on general common knowledge and the brief experience of email/telephone communication I have had in the past few weeks with the administration staff.
I must say they made feel wanted, ha ha :smile:
They are lovely as well at Imperial, I spoke to a couple of girls who were extremely helpful and friendly but there is a certain feeling of strictness and little flexibility, I don't know...But hey, I have not been to either so I think I should take back the "friendlier" part of my last message. In fact, I should go visit them both before eventually making any final decisions.
I didn't know about the fact that to apply for a Phd at Imperial you must have a master's degree but somehow I don't think that is a bad thing at all.
Visiting them both would be a good idea, especially since you live in London.

I have been to Imperial this past Saturday for the Imperial Festival 2012, and spoke to some researchers and others who were showcasing their work. All in all, it was an enjoyable day and I like the area around Imperial with all the museums, Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park in close proximity...much nicer that the area around King's....I think.

When I go for my interview next week and also to hand in copies of my transcripts, I'll try and spend a bit of time on campus. I pretty much have made up my mind where I want to go come Sept.

Regarding the MSc requirement to do a PhD at Imperial, I didn't know either..but can see why they prefer it that way...I guess for research, they want students, who have the right lab and research skills and will hit the ground running with their PhD studies. Obviously, training will be given depending on the project, but its better to have students who have had more experience, than graduates straight from their BSc's.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 438
I have been invited for a special evening for postgraduate offer holders at King's on Monday 21st May, not sure I'll be able to go (by the way anyone else on here planning to go?)
But if not then, I am planning to go at some point next week as well to have a look around.
Yeah it looks like you have made up your mind about where to go eh?
But I see why you are going for the interview at King's , I think it's good to see what they have to offer and how it compares to Imperial.
Good luck with the interview, let us know how it goes. I haven't had an interview in years and I am dreading it! I don't even have a date yet, ah!
Original post by VENIVIDIVICI
Hi guys/gals,

I finally received my official offer and on the student e-service it says I have to pay 10% deposit (that I am aware of) and the following item need to be confirmed: "Official confirmation of the award of Bachelor's degree with First Class Honours to be confirmed by the original university transcript OR the Statement of Qualifications form which must be completed by the administrative authorities at your university."

Those who have already paid their deposits and done this, do I have to send them (in the post) a copy of my degree certificate and/or transcripts?

Many Thanks

Yes you do, and you pay the 10% online mate :-) Congrats! and see you in sept!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending