The Student Room Group

Why does Scandium only exist in the 3+ ion

Why does Scandium ion only exist in the 3+ state?
Reply 1
You can see that Scandium is in group 3 of the periodic table. This means that it has 3 valance electrons and will have an electronic configuration of [Ar] 3s2 3p1. In order to achieve a stable octet, you can see that removing 3 electrons will give it the electronic configuration of Ar, thus making Sc3+

Scandium will probably exist in the +2 and +1 state, they are just not very stable (If anyone definitively knows, I will be very interested). In the +1 state, it will have a stable filled 3s2 sub-shell and in the +2 state, it will have a stable(ish) half-filled 3s1 sub-shell. Scandium can also exist in higher oxidation states, but this cannot be achieved chemically as the energy needed to remove electrons from the stable octet would be too high.
Reply 2
Original post by qiaoyu.he
You can see that Scandium is in group 3 of the periodic table. This means that it has 3 valance electrons and will have an electronic configuration of [Ar] 3s2 3p1. In order to achieve a stable octet, you can see that removing 3 electrons will give it the electronic configuration of Ar, thus making Sc3+

Scandium will probably exist in the +2 and +1 state, they are just not very stable (If anyone definitively knows, I will be very interested). In the +1 state, it will have a stable filled 3s2 sub-shell and in the +2 state, it will have a stable(ish) half-filled 3s1 sub-shell. Scandium can also exist in higher oxidation states, but this cannot be achieved chemically as the energy needed to remove electrons from the stable octet would be too high.

scandium is in d-block NOT s/p block
your rule only really applies to s/p ions/elements
Reply 3
I'm afraid it's not as simple as 'existing' as the 3+ ion. What is true is that in aqueous solution at most (possibly all - I'm not sure) pH values Sc (III) is the most stable oxidation state.

However there probably exist complexes with certain ligands for which other oxidation states of scandium are more stable. Unfortunately I can't explain the sort of factors which might stabilise other oxidation states cause you won't have covered it at A level.
Reply 4
Original post by illusionz
I'm afraid it's not as simple as 'existing' as the 3+ ion. What is true is that in aqueous solution at most (possibly all - I'm not sure) pH values Sc (III) is the most stable oxidation state.

However there probably exist complexes with certain ligands for which other oxidation states of scandium are more stable. Unfortunately I can't explain the sort of factors which might stabilise other oxidation states cause you won't have covered it at A level.

ok
thanks anyway
As a point of interest.... I don't believe any Sc +1 or +2 are known. Possible that a +2 exists, but it would be horrendously unstable.
Reply 6
Original post by qiaoyu.he

If Sc forms 1+ ion, the electron the atom loses will be from 4s, not 3d, as all other d block metals in this period
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandium_compounds
Compounds that feature scandium in oxidation states other than +3 are rare but well characterized. The blue-black compound CsScCl3 is one of the simplest. This material adopts a sheet-like structure that exhibits extensive bonding between the scandium(II) centers.
Lower oxidation states (+2, +1, 0) have also been observed in organoscandium compounds.

Quick Reply

Latest