The Student Room Group

Higher Maths 2012

Scroll to see replies

I'm feeling mighty confident about Maths. Definitely one of my strongest subjects :smile:
Original post by TheFOMaster
I'm feeling mighty confident about Maths. Definitely one of my strongest subjects :smile:

D: lucky for some... :frown:
Reply 42
It's my strongest subject, but I have biology to revise for as well D:
Reply 43
Optimisation can be good or a biatch depends on the context just hoping for a B so I can do advance higher next year
Reply 44
Original post by Reece:)
No bother:smile:! is the link working:smile:? my ipod is bad at copying links:P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

yeah it is :smile:
Reply 45
I just did paper 1 of 2011 (the paper I sat last year) and it's pretty challenging compared to the other papers I've done before..
Reply 46
i personally feel 2005 was a rather easy paper :smile: and 2008 being one of the hardest :smile: i have full worked solutions for papers 2001-2011 that i did earlier this year if anyone needs help :smile:!

Reply 47
Original post by _Stephieee
I'm not actually doing the exam as I sat my Higher Maths last year, but I just wanted to wish you all the very best of luck for Monday. I struggled with Maths so much all the way through S5, but with the work and effort, it will come to you in the exam. Trust me, I got 28% in the prelim and managed to get up to a B (which was 65%+ last year).

I'm sure you'll all do brilliantly :smile:

Uplifting
Well I suppose I'll be the first to ask a question then.

In the 2000 paper (https://sites.google.com/a/edubuzz.org/maths-past-papers/home/higher its there if you don't have it) for Question 4b is the answer wrong? because I get 47 + 2/3 while they get 21 + 1/3 but shouldn't the way they do it have the part of the curve on the left hand side of the y axis cancel out some of the right hand side and you would need to do 2 different integrals and add them to get the full size of the area between the curves?
Original post by TheFOMaster
shouldn't the way they do it have the part of the curve on the left hand side of the y axis cancel out some of the right hand side and you would need to do 2 different integrals and add them to get the full size of the area between the curves?

Nope, their answer is correct. The only time I can think of that you'd need two integrals at Higher is if you want the absolute area between two curves between two points, and the orientation (which one is on top) switches between those two points. If you like, think about it as subtracting 'how much area is left of x=-1?' from 'how much area is left of x=3?'
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Nope, their answer is correct. The only time I can think of that you'd need two integrals at Higher is if you want the absolute area between two curves between two points, and the orientation (which one is on top) switches between those two points. If you like, think about it as subtracting 'how much area is left of x=-1?' from 'how much area is left of x=3?'

Thanks.

I'll just watch out for that in the future :smile:
i KNOW i'm going to forget "Stationary points occur when derivative =0" and +c on my intergration!
Reply 52
Original post by RobZoSo
A couple of the maths teachers in my school were hinting that optimization may come up this year as it hasn't come up in a while. That could also be an 8 marker!

Oh dear, what is optimisation :eek: ?
Original post by LLL17

In Higher, questions where they dress up stationary points in context. (e.g. Maximize the volume of this carrying box with sides...)
Reply 54
Original post by LLL17

optimisation is the one where it asks you to find the greatest or smallest volume (etc..) with a value for x :smile: it usually has the bit at the start asking to work out the equation:P you just differentiate and then make a nature table:smile:

Reply 55
In Higher, questions where they dress up stationary points in context. (e.g. Maximize the volume of this carrying box with sides...)

loving how we both used volume as an example haha!

Reply 56

Oh okay, we've never called that optimisation haha.. That's what had me confused. Thanks
Reply 57
I'm really hoping the last question in paper 2 isn't a vectors question! I tried to do the 2009 paper the other day and the last question is a killer vector question :frown: I can do the normal vector stuff (find an angle, show they're perpendicular etc) but not like problem solving ones :frown:
Reply 58
Original post by Reece:)
optimisation is the one where it asks you to find the greatest or smallest volume (etc..) with a value for x :smile: it usually has the bit at the start asking to work out the equation:P you just differentiate and then make a nature table:smile:

Thanks, I don't think we've ever called it optimisation lol
Reply 59
Original post by LLL17
Thanks, I don't think we've ever called it optimisation lol

what did you call it haha? guessing you probably have an ancient teacher :P?

Quick Reply

Latest