The Student Room Group

Higher English 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by Bonzo10
I did 1 and 14. Streetcar for 1, Dulce et Decorum Est and Futility for 14.

Streetcar opened with the quote on how she need to be near someone, with someone, couldnt be alone. Then main paragraph 2 on her constant bathing, then main paragraph three on her screaming she wanted magic and how her instability was worsening. Then main paragraph 4 was the rape and how she went from unstable to insane.

Can't really remember what I wrote for the poems haha!

I did question one for streetcar too. I think I kept up a decent line of argument but the way you did it is how I would have liked it to pan out; unfortunately I ended up rambling :frown:
Original post by Piano_Parisa
Did anyone choose Othello for the any of the drama questions? :P

Yes, I did the first one about stability.

Act 3 Scene 3 as a key scene

I also wrote about the handkerchief incident

And I wrote about the change in Othello's speech and the change in the relationship between Othello and Desdemona to show his instability
Did anyone choose Othello for the any of the drama questions? :P
In both my essays, the majority of my quotes where like, big quotes! 3 lines long or 4, i hope im not penalised for it! Cause they were relevant..
Reply 544
Anyone do Lord of the Flies for question 5? I think I went a bit rogue on that one, started talking about the loss of the "good" side of mankind (order and civilisation) in the battle against the darkness within all of us... :s-smilie:
Anyone else here do "One Flew Over"?
Anyone notice that in both texts you do, someone always dies either literally or metaphorically?
Original post by JackoGeddes
no i mean the poor second one probably is scraping a 13.

the first one was brilliant, i wrote out a cone gatherers essay and learnt it in depth, luckily an OK at best question came up and i fitted around 7 pages in, it was good in my eyes so im thinking 17/19, hopefully the other one doesn't drag me back down to much.

Oh, sorry my bad. And you'll probably get more than 19 if you wrote 7 pages. :smile:
Do you reckon you've passed?? What did you get for your prelim?
Oh, how did you find the close reading?
Can someone clear this up for me... for a 4 point analysis question, do you need to put 4 separate points?? I always thought a good explained point gets you 2 marks and a simpler one gives you 1 mark :s-smilie:
People on here are not qualified to tell people what they "probably will get for an essay" You know its 7 pages, you do not know the relevance, the technical accuracy or anything so stop making geusses at other peoples work, and people stop asking ! No one on here is a qualified english teacher (yet) so ..
To give people a bit of hope, I got a D in my Higher English prelim last year. But in my exam, I got an A with 25/25 and 23/25 for the essays.
Original post by nothing_but_sky
Can someone clear this up for me... for a 4 point analysis question, do you need to put 4 separate points?? I always thought a good explained point gets you 2 marks and a simpler one gives you 1 mark :s-smilie:

My college lecturer taught us to be safe, put 4 marks that way if your points are relevant, you are almost guaranteed the marks. It's harder to just write 2 points, I think personally anyway
Original post by McCaw95
Anyone do Lord of the Flies for question 5? I think I went a bit rogue on that one, started talking about the loss of the "good" side of mankind (order and civilisation) in the battle against the darkness within all of us... :s-smilie:

I did! I think I was the only one in my school to do that question for LOTF but, most people answered the one about the mood being dominant I think? I did the characterisation of Jack and Simon to show the loss of innocence and symbolism and allegory to show a loss of society :smile: how did you feel it went?
Original post by freedom123
You know its 7 pages, you do not know the relevance, the technical accuracy or anything

This is valid.

No one on here is a qualified english teacher (yet) so ..

This is actually false. There are at least two.
Reply 554
Original post by nothing_but_sky

That can happen, but since there's some dispute over what markers class as 'developed' and 'simple' my teacher just tells us to put 4 points for 4 marks
it would be fantastic if someone could upload photos of the paper itself, i was going to bring mine home but managed to leave it on the bus - aah.

just to give me a bit of peice of mind, having OCD during these exams is highly unpleasant, i think about the exam itself for weeks untill i get my results!
Reply 556
Is anyone else obsessively putting in the scores they think they got in the estimates calculator and get percentage..

If it remains at 65%-70% i am either a very high B or very low A
Original post by LiveToSki
Is anyone else obsessively putting in the scores they think they got in the estimates calculator and get percentage..

If it remains at 65%-70% i am either a very high B or very low A

how do you do this considering the folio counts for 20% and the others 40%?
Reply 558
Original post by weraiseitup
I did! I think I was the only one in my school to do that question for LOTF but, most people answered the one about the mood being dominant I think? I did the characterisation of Jack and Simon to show the loss of innocence and symbolism and allegory to show a loss of society :smile: how did you feel it went?

I'm not alone! :smile: Everyone else I spoke to did number 8 for Lord of the Flies, I didn't think I could write enough for it though, 5 seemed easier. I did the characterisation of Jack to show the loss of his "good" side to the overwhelming darkness within him, the death of Piggy to symbolise the loss of order and society on the island, and a short bit on the characterisation of Ralph, just to show how even the truest character could lose their "good" side. I think it went okay, felt my drama essay went better though. What about you? :smile:
Last year these were the cut-off's on a paper I would say was equally difficult as ours:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending