The Student Room Group

Attention seeking ('Look at me!') culture

It seems a lot of young people these days are attention whores. Everyone is striving to be big city socialites. As the years go by more and more people are sucked in by this culture.

I think media is partly to blame. With shows like Britains Got Talent, X-factor, TOWIE, Made In Chelsea etc. It makes everyone believe that they could be a celebrity. Celebrity status is so glamorized these days so everyone will do anything gain celebrity status and this is where attention whoring comes into play.

People ave more of a platform these days to attention whore too. Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, blogs etc. I'm starting to think Facebook statuses are mainly to attention seek. There is not a day goes by where I don't see a status like 'Cant believe it!' or 'Why does this have to happen!'...statuses that beg for people to comment on it.

It seems like these days if you don't have enough photos on your Facebook you are deemed unfit for this world. Everything everyone does seems like its only for Facebook . I was out one night and I saw a group of girls who were constantly taking pictures for 2 hours...and then went home. I mean come on people! Enjoy the moment rather than killing it posing for photos. No one cares if you went out 'with the girlies!' like the whole world gives a **** because you can guarantee every other ****er is doing the same. Its nothing new. Stop advertising your lives!

I live in Manchester and there are a lot of young students that come over here from small towns/villages. These people are the worst when it comes to attention seeking. There is a lot of showing off talk. Usually in public places where there is a small audience in the surrounding area. You know the loud talking people do to make themselves look better. It's not even real conversations too its like everyone has to 'one-up' what ever the other person says. Its always something to do with gap years or what they've just bought or how drunk they got last night or if they got laid last night or what band they are listening to right now etc. Its like they want someone to go 'Really!! omg!!' but the reality is that no one ****ing cares.

...also when there is party there is always those people who want everyone else on the street to know they're having fun. Shouting and screaming as if they're the first people in the world to have a ****ing party. Having a house party doesn't automatically make you super cool. Everyone has parties. Get over it.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I dunno, just sounds like standard teenagers to me. By the time you're as old as me (second year uni) everyone seems to have grown out of that.
Reply 2
Completely agree with everything there. The worst are those people on Facebook who post statuses like ":frown:". Then when someone asks what's up, they either don't answer or say it doesn't matter. Pisses me right off. Blatant attention seeking :angry:

Oh, I also know one girl who, when her football team got relegated from the Prem, she uploaded a photo of herself crying on to facebook :facepalm: She got ripped on it so bad and ended up deleting it hahaha.
(edited 11 years ago)
Some people have so little going for them that they exaggerate the image to the nth degree, it happens. Just know that behind every loudmouth banter dickhead there's a black hole of **** all in his head
I understand what you mean about people from small towns but it's their first time in a city they're just excited
I was thinking this yesterday.

Does anyone else feel that more and more people are dying to have something wrong with them? I'm sick of people announcing that they've been diagnosed with depression because they couldn't drag themselves into school.
Reply 6
This thread has reminded me, has anyone else's news feed been clogged up with people sharing horrific photos of chemotherapy patients, deformed babies, war victims and the like with stupid messages like 'SHARE THIS IF SOMEONE YOU KNOW HAS HAD CANCER' or some ****, and they just feel the need to traumatise everyone for attention and to feel better about themselves by sharing it, no one wants to see that.
Reply 7
Original post by Jono404
This thread has reminded me, has anyone else's news feed been clogged up with people sharing horrific photos of chemotherapy patients, deformed babies, war victims and the like with stupid messages like 'SHARE THIS IF SOMEONE YOU KNOW HAS HAD CANCER' or some ****, and they just feel the need to traumatise everyone for attention and to feel better about themselves by sharing it, no one wants to see that.

I have experienced that...

After a week or two of following that I deleted the people from my friends sharing those pictures. All of those people were also massive attention seekers in every single aspect which got even worse after leaving school.

Facebook is testing the payable version of it, and apparently what you do is that you pay money to get your statuses to pop out more to your friends, staying longer on their news feed? Well, if I notice my friends doing that, their stuff will be hidden rather quickly.

This stuff is getting really pathetic. People make fools out of themselves just to get the 15 minutes of fame.
Reply 8
Original post by FinnLassie
I have experienced that...

After a week or two of following that I deleted the people from my friends sharing those pictures. All of those people were also massive attention seekers in every single aspect which got even worse after leaving school.

Facebook is testing the payable version of it, and apparently what you do is that you pay money to get your statuses to pop out more to your friends, staying longer on their news feed? Well, if I notice my friends doing that, their stuff will be hidden rather quickly.

This stuff is getting really pathetic. People make fools out of themselves just to get the 15 minutes of fame.

Yeah, someone I went to school with recently committed suicide and while most people, especially those closes to him were sensible about it there was a small minority of people who felt the need to suddenly tag themselves in old photos with him, make loads of statuses and generally make it out they were much closer with him than they actually were for sympathy likes and comments. Makes me feel a bit sad for humanity.
Original post by MancBoy
It seems a lot of young people these days are attention whores. Everyone is striving to be big city socialites. As the years go by more and more people are sucked in by this culture.

I think media is partly to blame. With shows like Britains Got Talent, X-factor, TOWIE, Made In Chelsea etc. It makes everyone believe that they could be a celebrity. Celebrity status is so glamorized these days so everyone will do anything gain celebrity status and this is where attention whoring comes into play.

People ave more of a platform these days to attention whore too. Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, blogs etc. I'm starting to think Facebook statuses are mainly to attention seek. There is not a day goes by where I don't see a status like 'Cant believe it!' or 'Why does this have to happen!'...statuses that beg for people to comment on it.

It seems like these days if you don't have enough photos on your Facebook you are deemed unfit for this world. Everything everyone does seems like its only for Facebook . I was out one night and I saw a group of girls who were constantly taking pictures for 2 hours...and then went home. I mean come on people! Enjoy the moment rather than killing it posing for photos. No one cares if you went out 'with the girlies!' like the whole world gives a **** because you can guarantee every other ****er is doing the same. Its nothing new. Stop advertising your lives!

I live in Manchester and there are a lot of young students that come over here from small towns/villages. These people are the worst when it comes to attention seeking. There is a lot of showing off talk. Usually in public places where there is a small audience in the surrounding area. You know the loud talking people do to make themselves look better. It's not even real conversations too its like everyone has to 'one-up' what ever the other person says. Its always something to do with gap years or what they've just bought or how drunk they got last night or if they got laid last night or what band they are listening to right now etc. Its like they want someone to go 'Really!! omg!!' but the reality is that no one ****ing cares.

...also when there is party there is always those people who want everyone else on the street to know they're having fun. Shouting and screaming as if they're the first people in the world to have a ****ing party. Having a house party doesn't automatically make you super cool. Everyone has parties. Get over it.

Wise words. You're not alone. :^_^:

Oh, I also know one girl who, when her football team got relegated from the Prem, she uploaded a photo of herself crying on to facebook She got ripped on it so bad and ended up deleting it hahaha.

Seriously? She actually uploaded a photo of herself crying? Why? Really? :argh:
Chill out mate.
Reply 11
I've hated people like that all my life - it's definitely not just when they reach university that this type of behaviour prevails, although it does tend to spread like a disease at uni.

As for annoying Facebook people, surely the worst have to be those girls that write statuses like 'I have made mistakes in the past but now you're out of my life I can finally move on' or 'Not going to try any more, just going to see where the wind takes me' or my personal favourite: 'OMG men!!!'
i have a friend where her EX boyfriend (who she dumped) got off with her best mate, which fair enough is pretty ****, but she keeps posting 100s of statuses like "oh i can't carry on" "you're going to get what's coming to you" ":frown:" "i hate life" "you're a dirty rat" etc. etc.

it's ALL for attention, she still has them added on her facebook which is sad. the whole time through their relationship she kept bitching about him with sly statuses on facebook.
Original post by Jono404

I haven't had any pics but I did get a lot of those after my dad died as if the whole world knew that my dad died of cancer and I needed reminding. My brother was reposting every single one.

Back on topic, I haven't noticed this to the extent you mention really, in a club with the music blaring it is often necessary to shout in order to get just your friend to hear you. I used to take pictures when I was out but I wouldn't spend an hour taking pics then just go home, I went out to drink and dance so that was what I did, but I liked to have photos as memories of the fun night put we had. I haven't noticed anyone who just shouts out useless info in the street unless they are god-botherers with placards claiming to have a message.
They are all LOSERS
Original post by PinkyPurply

Does anyone else feel that more and more people are dying to have something wrong with them? I'm sick of people announcing that they've been diagnosed with depression because they couldn't drag themselves into school.

Someone negged you because you mentioned depression, but that aside I completely agree - the bible actually says it's a sin to wish yourself worse off than you are, which means that for at least 2000 years people have been looking for ways to feel sorry for themselves. It must be ingrained into us somehow.
Original post by PinkyPurply

Depression isn't some stupid excuse. I'd be surprised if people readily admitting to it are genuine tho, I can't imagine people bouncing into school raring to tell everyone about their constant suicidal thoughts and diminished feeling of self-worth
Reply 17
Original post by MancBoy

Don't watch kids tv shows, be more selective with your friends on facebook.

You will also find that undergrads are possibly the most annoying creatures on earth. However normally you leave university before you notice this.
I deleted my facebook about a month and a half ago. Everything seems so much more, 'real'. I don't see anyone else's photos from night's out anymore, since there's really a feeling they just go out so that they can upload the photos to facebook and get likes/build up a social status. I literally don't care about any of that now, and I just do what I like without feeling the pressure to take photos when I'm out to keep on track with my social life.

I don't see what anyone else is doing, and why should I care anyway? I think facebook's really just a huge basis for attention seekers; uploading new photos of themselves with daft quotes almost every week. It takes up a lot of people's time and one day they'll wake up and realise they've typed their life away and fooled themselves that they're enjoying it. I'm much happier without it. I can be my own person, and there's a lot to be said for that I think. :biggrin:
Original post by JCC-MGS
Depression isn't some stupid excuse. I'd be surprised if people readily admitting to it are genuine tho, I can't imagine people bouncing into school raring to tell everyone about their constant suicidal thoughts and diminished feeling of self-worth

Their obviously not genuine. I've met people with genuine depression and it's absolutely heart breaking to see.
It drives me nuts when people casually drop how their so depressed after having a bad day or two! :mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending