The Student Room Group

Higher Maths 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
what does it mean if a root is 'rational' ?
Original post by Esmeee
what does it mean if a root is 'rational' ?

Rational numbers can be written as mn\frac{m}{n} where m and n are coprime (i.e. sharing no common divisors) integers.
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Nope, their answer is correct. The only time I can think of that you'd need two integrals at Higher is if you want the absolute area between two curves between two points, and the orientation (which one is on top) switches between those two points. If you like, think about it as subtracting 'how much area is left of x=-1?' from 'how much area is left of x=3?'

2011 exam has one of these questions, was a 10 marker as well, most marks I've ever seen for a question in a Higher paper
Original post by -Neuro-
Are we allowed to take the question paper with us on our way out?

The MySQA representative on here says 'no'. In practice, many invigilators seem to let students take them.

I'm planning to write down all my answers on the question paper then mark them when someone has put up the answers up online.

If somebody puts the question paper up, I'll come up with an answer scheme.
Original post by -Neuro-
Should I basically ask one of the teachers or invigilators beforehand? The exam is in the afternoon so I'll have quite a bit of time.

I would just not explicitly hand the invigilator your paper. If they don't ask for it, take it. That's what I always did - it never struck me that we might not be allowed to. :dontknow:

How do you upload the paper? I'll upload it if I'm allowed to take the question paper away.

Scan or take clear photos, then use the 'manage attachments' link (under 'additional options', a little bit below the 'advanced' reply box).
Reply 85
Original post by -Neuro-
Are we allowed to take the question paper with us on our way out?

If you stay the full length of the exam you are allowed to take your paper. The paper is definately yours to take home or do whatever with :smile:
Reply 86
Does anybody else find that the older past papers, 2000-2007 are harder than the new ones? I am really struggling to gain good marks in the older papers :/
Original post by lapples
If you stay the full length of the exam you are allowed to take your paper. The paper is definately yours to take home or do whatever with :smile:

Just to prove I wasn't talking nonsense: "you can't keep your question paper".
Reply 88
We were allowed to take home our papers in English yesterday.
Reply 89
Just to prove I wasn't talking nonsense: "you can't keep your question paper".

Sorry, I didn't realise......
The invigilators at my school just say if you want to take your papers you can......
I've always been allowed to take all the question papers home or to teachers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Sure, and so are lots of people. Like I said in the first place: official word is that you can't, but in practice probably the majority of people can.
Reply 91
Sure, and so are lots of people. Like I said in the first place: official word is that you can't, but in practice probably the majority of people can.

The teachers actively encourage you here :L
I'm not sure I could cope with looking at your marking scheme incase I got everything wrong. :lol:
I daresay they do, they want to see the paper :laugh:
Reply 94
Original post by JaggySnake95
I'm not sure I could cope with looking at your marking scheme incase I got everything wrong. :lol:

Same here, I hate that feeling of knowing you did something wrong and can't change it :frown:

I also wouldn't want to be my marker - judging on my prelim, it looked like something had crawled all over my page covered in ink - sooooo many mistakes :colone:
Reply 95
Original post by Reece:)
http://m.mpatel.webnode.com/exam-papers/ there you go :smile: hope that helps! if you need any help just ask :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

life saver! honestly cannot thank you enough! it's that way i like doing old past papers because the sqa tend to recycle questions (as seen in the chemistry exam on monday) so i'm hoping if i can do all these question i'll be fine :biggrin:
Original post by lapples
Same here, I hate that feeling of knowing you did something wrong and can't change it :frown:

I also wouldn't want to be my marker - judging on my prelim, it looked like something had crawled all over my page covered in ink - sooooo many mistakes :colone:

I hated my prelim for numerous reasons:

1. They bought their paper off the notoriously difficult place.
2. They put the pass mark up to 55%.
3. I scored out half of a question and tryed to do it again. I couldn't do it, but lost the 2 marks because the 1st time I attempted I had gotten some of it right. Apparently in an SQA exam they'd have marked it becauseI had only put a couple lines through it so it was still legible.
4. My fault, but my only revision was skimming my notes the night before rather than doing some questions.
Reply 97
Original post by Blue7195
life saver! honestly cannot thank you enough! it's that way i like doing old past papers because the sqa tend to recycle questions (as seen in the chemistry exam on monday) so i'm hoping if i can do all these question i'll be fine :biggrin:

Must say, I was quite surprised the amount of reused questions on monday! Especially the last multiple choice one, was not expecting it :P ! Well, I can't see the SQA copying a full question out word word for, but I do see them using different numbers, good luck though :smile:!
Reply 98
Original post by JaggySnake95
I hated my prelim for numerous reasons:

1. They bought their paper off the notoriously difficult place.
2. They put the pass mark up to 55%.
3. I scored out half of a question and tryed to do it again. I couldn't do it, but lost the 2 marks because the 1st time I attempted I had gotten some of it right. Apparently in an SQA exam they'd have marked it becauseI had only put a couple lines through it so it was still legible.
4. My fault, but my only revision was skimming my notes the night before rather than doing some questions.

1. Was it P&N? It's pretty much a guarantee that if you get an A in the prelim you will get an A in the SQA final exam :tongue:
2. Same at my school......
3. I don't get why they do that. Argh :frown:
4. I've done nowhere near what i need to do but, i'm hoping for a B. I would love an A to get into Uni but not neccessarily going to happen :tongue:
For our first prelim, the averaggreat 35% lol... it was a pretty unfair paper aha :frown: don't think anyone got an A out of about 100 people, so they just discounted it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest