The Student Room Group

OCR MEI FP1 May 18th 2012 PRE/POST DISCUSSION!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by bossman42
Yeah I got something like that too.

But how did you find the det of a 3x3 matrix :|

Did it ask you to? :afraid: I thought you just had to give the inverse?
Original post by Silent--ly
Did it ask you to? :afraid: I thought you just had to give the inverse?

Yh the answer was just the 1/78 times by the Matrix B

What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be i've lost like 7 to 8 marks, and does anyone know what you need to get an A* in Further Maths in your AS exams
Reply 22
Original post by MrNeilPatel
Yh the answer was just the 1/79 times by the Matrix B

What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be i've lost like 7 to 8 marks, and does anyone know what you need to get an A* in Further Maths in your AS exams

You can't get an A* at AS, but I'm guessing as it was a pretty standard paper it will be about 67/72 for 90+UMS :sadnod:
Reply 23
Did everyone get p=-33 an q=10 for the roots question?

And the graph intercepts at x=+/- 5. And y=25/24???
Reply 24
Original post by Cpb95
Did everyone get p=-33 an q=10 for the roots question?

And the graph intercepts at x=+/- 5. And y=25/24???

Yes, yes, yes and yes :h:
You can't get an A* at AS, but I'm guessing as it was a pretty standard paper it will be about 67/72 for 90+UMS :sadnod:

Woops, it was either 78 or 79 :P I really needed to get above 90 UMS for this module but as so many people found it quite easy; the grade boundary will be pretty high :frown:
Reply 26
Woops, it was either 78 or 79 :P I really needed to get above 90 UMS for this module but as so many people found it quite easy; the grade boundary will be pretty high :frown:

To be fair, quite a lot of people on The Student Room have found it easy, but at my school I know there were some people who struggled. So it might turn out being a pretty middling paper, the best people did really well while the not so strong candidates didn't, and the grade boundaries might end up being pretty normal as a result. (e.g. 58 for an A, 50 for a B, 43 for a C etc.)
Does anyone have the list of all the questions on the paper and/or a mark scheme ?
Reply 28
This paper didn't feel difficult, it just felt long, to me...
Reply 29
Original post by bossman42
Yeah I got something like that too.

But how did you find the det of a 3x3 matrix :|

11/63 was the answer
To be fair, quite a lot of people on The Student Room have found it easy, but at my school I know there were some people who struggled. So it might turn out being a pretty middling paper, the best people did really well while the not so strong candidates didn't, and the grade boundaries might end up being pretty normal as a result. (e.g. 58 for an A, 50 for a B, 43 for a C etc.)

Thanks for the reply, hopefully these are either the exact ones we get or very similar :biggrin:

For the graph we had to draw, did it have a horizontal asymptote of y=0 ?
Reply 31
Thanks for the reply, hopefully these are either the exact ones we get or very similar :biggrin:

I got y=0 :yep:

Original post by Dallairius
I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggled - in my class everyone was so happy about how easy it was and I was just there like...oh ._.

I found many of the past papers delightful but this paper was horrific for me. Most people I've talked to found it the other way around sadly :'(

Although if the boundaries are normal, I guess I've failed! Sucks after completely flopping Numerical Methods :/

Hopefully the NM grade boundaries will be really low :crossedf: I messed it up too - for some reason I did Newton Raphson rather than false position in the roots question :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
I got x=0 :yep:

Isn't it y=0 as the x asymptotes where like -4,-2/3 and 3 :confused:
Reply 33
Isn't it y=0 as the x asymptotes where like -4,-2/3 and 3 :confused:

Yes, sorry, fuzzey brain after a week of exams :colondollar:

I've edited it on the actual post :yep:
Reply 34

That's what I got :smile: The line crossed it from below then came back down to the y axis? And the same but upside down on the other side, with a U and n shape in the middle?

Also how did everyone find the proof by induction question? It was nearly identical to one I had done before so I though it was nice :P
Reply 35
Original post by mora11
Time is fine just need to make sure I know matrices because I HATE them and a few other things. I need to make sure I don't make silly unnecessary mistakes etc.

Still hoping for an A 85+UMS hopefully, but I have C2 first then Fp1 straight after :mad:

Same! I was so drained by the end of it, you would have thought that both being compulsory exams and by the same board, they wouldn't have scheduled them both together?? I mean how many people do Further maths, but not normal maths?? :L
Original post by kingkong95
That's what I got :smile: The line crossed it from below then came back down to the y axis? And the same but upside down on the other side, with a U and n shape in the middle?

Also how did everyone find the proof by induction question? It was nearly identical to one I had done before so I though it was nice :P

I got the Proof by Induction question, I was looking at a similar one just before the exam and i was so happy :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by pixxie
Same! I was so drained by the end of it, you would have thought that both being compulsory exams and by the same board, they wouldn't have scheduled them both together?? I mean how many people do Further maths, but not normal maths?? :L

At least one :wink: It's really annoying though - I had C3 and D1 together in January. It's really exhausting :emo:
Original post by Sokka
11/63 was the answer

nope

everyone i know got 10/63
Reply 39
At least one :wink: It's really annoying though - I had C3 and D1 together in January. It's really exhausting :emo:

i know :frown: i had D1 and S1 (or C1 can't remember) together in January - its just too long :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending