The Student Room Group

Medicine and resits??

Im slightly confused about the whole thing of retaking A/AS levels and the modules, so maybe someone could just clarify this for me.

I think, its ok to resit some modules (unless your applying to cambrigde) How true is this, will any medical schools look at module results?

And, if I have a massive disaster on results day with one of my AS grades, say, it turns out to be D or worse, could I retake this AS completely and just continue the other 3 to A2?
Or would my only option be to retake modules and continue, said subject to A2 (and drop a different subject).

Ok, as far as I know, they just want you to complete your A levels within the two years.
However one of my offers (Nottingham) specified no A2 resits and only one AS resit per subject so you might want to actually do your research.
Every university is different and asking 'Do medical school do...*this*?' is a bit futile seeing as they all have their own way of doing things.
But as I said, most of them are agreed on the whole 'Do it within two years and they won't mind'.
Reply 2
Yeah I totaly get that its a bit hard to generalise, but overall, some places will allow AS resits??

Has anyone actually done this? Im just really stuggling with one of my unit exams and I dont think im going to make enough progress by the exam. :/
Reply 3
Quick question seeing as medical schools give offeres usually around AAA if you were to get AAB at AS but were predicted AAA or possible higher is it less likely you get a place or how dies this affect your chances?
Original post by sunny_veggies
Im slightly confused about the whole thing of retaking A/AS levels and the modules, so maybe someone could just clarify this for me.

I think, its ok to resit some modules (unless your applying to cambrigde) How true is this, will any medical schools look at module results?

And, if I have a massive disaster on results day with one of my AS grades, say, it turns out to be D or worse, could I retake this AS completely and just continue the other 3 to A2?
Or would my only option be to retake modules and continue, said subject to A2 (and drop a different subject).

Have a read of this.

They generally won't even know about Jan module resits, so that's not a big deal. You don't have to put module results on UCAS if you don't want to. And of course you can retake an AS! (whether your sixth form will teach you it is the only issue.)Yes, if your AS grades are awful then some universities (Birmingham, UCL) might not accept you, others look at other things. :smile:
Original post by whatif?
Quick question seeing as medical schools give offeres usually around AAA if you were to get AAB at AS but were predicted AAA or possible higher is it less likely you get a place or how dies this affect your chances?

I got an offer with AAAB at AS, B in chemistry no less. Definity get AAA or higher predictions and apply strategically.
Reply 7
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Have a read of this.

Ah, thanks thats quite helpful, I didnt even think to look for anything like that. It seems generally AS modules are fine but not A2 then :smile:
Original post by whatif?

Depends on the uni, GCSE heavy uni's tend to care more about predictions than AS grades whilst those who care less about GCSE's put a bit more emphasis on them.
If you did exams in January and resat some, does that matter? ive been told universities won't even know about them...
I resat 2A's and one B, so it isn't so bad is it??:confused:
Original post by joker12345
And of course you can retake an AS! (whether your sixth form will teach you it is the only issue.) :smile:

Thankyou :smile:
They will, as long as it fits into my timetable!
Original post by DisturbingKand0R
If you did exams in January and resat some, does that matter? ive been told universities won't even know about them...
I resat 2A's and one B, so it isn't so bad is it??:confused:

No thats ok :smile:
I was talking about retaking the whole AS, as in all of the modules!
Im sure you'll be fine :smile:
No thats ok :smile:
I was talking about retaking the whole AS, as in all of the modules!
Im sure you'll be fine :smile:

Thanks, it makes me feel a lot better, but, is it true that you have to score above 90% in most of your exams at AS to even be considered??
And are 5A*s 3As and 2Bs at GCSE enough??
i'm doing another GCSE outside school to add an A*, will that make a difference?

Sorry for many Questions, but i need answers lol
is it true that you have to score above 90% in most of your exams at AS to even be considered??
i'm doing another GCSE outside school to add an A*

I honestly have no idea, but I dont think they look at your module grades (except for cambridge).
Look at thishttp://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
for GCSE requirements.
For birmingham you need 8A*'s but the majority have significantly lower GCSE requirements, or barely none.
Your GCSEs are fine. Its very unlikely your extra A* will make any difference
Good Luck!! :smile:
I honestly have no idea, but I dont think they look at your module grades (except for cambridge).
Look at thishttp://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
for GCSE requirements.
For birmingham you need 8A*'s but the majority have significantly lower GCSE requirements, or barely none.
Your GCSEs are fine. Its very unlikely your extra A* will make any difference
Good Luck!! :smile:

Thanks a lot
Reply 15
another question so what unis would you say are gcse heavy? Would you say imperial is and is it likely someone who got AABB would still get an offer if they were predicted AAAA
Thanks, it makes me feel a lot better, but, is it true that you have to score above 90% in most of your exams at AS to even be considered??
i'm doing another GCSE outside school to add an A*, will that make a difference?

Sorry for many Questions, but i need answers lol

1) Not even remotely, except for Cambridge who I think does like 90%'s although that's more geared towards people who have a weak academic area of their application.
2)5A*'s are absolutely fine, unless you apply to Cardiff, Bristol or Oxford.
3) Not much
Original post by whatif?
another question so what unis would you say are gcse heavy? Would you say imperial is and is it likely someone who got AABB would still get an offer if they were predicted AAAA

Definitely Birmingham, don't even bother if you don't have at least 8A*s! But I don't know about others :/

Can anyone shed some light?? It would be quite helpfull to know this :smile:
Definitely Birmingham, don't even bother if you don't have at least 8A*s! But I don't know about others :/

Can anyone shed some light?? It would be quite helpfull to know this :smile:

From the ones that I applied to
cardiff have a points based system for you can get a max of 27 points (9A*), I think the cut off is somewhere around 24-25
Kings use GCSEs and UKCAT together so 10A* and above will get you an interview, lower than 10A* and a good UCKAT score will also be fine (good being closer to 700)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending