The Student Room Group

Where are you applying for 2013?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by f1234
Where did you get offers from? Also what is Fife like as a place, as I am considering St Andrews? Sorry for all the questions :biggrin:

The Kingdom of Fife is an absolute bog and I'm not kidding.
Reply 21
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
The Kingdom of Fife is an absolute bog and I'm not kidding.

What is so bad about it??
Reply 22
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Oh how come?

I honestly just feel too young aha! I'll still only be 17 when I go to uni and I know some people feel ready but I feel as if the last 5 years have flown by and I should still be in 2nd year :')

Although, if you ask me halfway through 6th year I might be the complete opposite :P
Reply 23
Original post by f1234
Where did you get offers from? Also what is Fife like as a place, as I am considering St Andrews? Sorry for all the questions :biggrin:

Napier and Aberdeen! Fife's quite a big place, but St Andrews is lovely! But if you're looking for a big, busy city then it won't be for you. The town itself is really quiet, but it's very beautiful and old - the beach is my favourite! It's not that far from the cities, though.
Reply 24
Original post by IAmCookie
I honestly just feel too young aha! I'll still only be 17 when I go to uni and I know some people feel ready but I feel as if the last 5 years have flown by and I should still be in 2nd year :')

I feel the exact same!
Reply 25
Original post by f1234
What is so bad about it??

Trust me, Fife is a terrible place. St Andrews is a little place on it's own away from the rest of Fife so it still maintains its reputation as being a bit posh; Fife is not posh in any way, shape or form. Also, some St Andrews students tend to go out to Dundee on the weekends which is not even in Fife though whether its any better or not is a different story.

Despite all that, you should not be put off.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
I want to study geography at Glasgow
I'm doing Events Management, i'm from Gibraltar so we get our uni fees paid for, so we can basically choose any 5 universities in the UK, planning on applying to Brighton, Bournemouth, Edinburgh Napier, Sheffield Hallam and i haven't decided on the last one.. anyone know what the University of West of Scotland is like reputation/quality wise?
Reply 28
my 5 (not definitely sure, though):

Strathclyde
Aberdeen
Robert Gorgon Aberdeen (recommended by a girl I know)
Edinburgh Napier
West of Scotland

I looked up the ranking and UWS is supposed to be worst, but I want to study economics or management, so i don´t know how good my chances are:colondollar:

do you think I should try one of the best universities? why are the chances of getting a place?

i think Strathclyde and Aberdeen are quite good, i don´t know:smile:
Reply 29
Original post by gianamarie_xo
anyone know what the University of West of Scotland is like reputation/quality wise?

Not great

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
My five at the moment for Economics:

1) Warwick
2) Nottingham
3) Sheffield
4) Southampton
5) Loughborough
Reply 31
I'm looking at applying for civil engineering at Edinburgh, Aberdeen Heriot Watt, Glasgow
And Civil engineering with architecture at Glasgow

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 32
I'm looking at applying for Computer Games Technology at Abertay Dundee, Glasgow Caledonian and West of Scotland :biggrin:
Law at Dundee, Aberdeen, RGU, and I'm not sure what my other choices will be yet
Original post by kaaaaayleigh
I've been looking for a while too, basically since I declined all of my offers for this year because I realised I wasn't ready yet!
I'm not sure exactly what I want to do yet, though. I applied for languages but I've realised I want to apply for something more social. ("But what's more social than languages?!") I mean something people-based, if that makes sense :')

I don't know what unis you're looking at, but I'm considering ESPS at UCL and the combined honours system at durham.

I want to do languages and social sciences and so I'm having a bit of trouble finding unis which do it (I believe St. Andrews allow you to, but I don't like it :smile: ).
Reply 35
I'm applying for Maths. In terms of Scottish Unis I'm definitely applying to Edinburgh and Heriot-Watt as I love the city and the courses :smile: I may also apply to Glasgow, but I really haven't decided about that one yet, I guess it depends on my exam results and how confident I am with my predictions!
Reply 36
Original post by gianamarie_xo
I'm doing Events Management, i'm from Gibraltar so we get our uni fees paid for, so we can basically choose any 5 universities in the UK, planning on applying to Brighton, Bournemouth, Edinburgh Napier, Sheffield Hallam and i haven't decided on the last one.. anyone know what the University of West of Scotland is like reputation/quality wise?

It doesn't hold a great reputation but I have friends who go their and they are really enjoying their time at uni. I'm from Paisley (Where UWS is) and the town itself is ideal for students as rental prices are relatively low. Night life isn't the best here but your only fifteen minutes in the train from Glasgow, which has excellent nightlife.
Reply 37
I'm applying for Glasgow Caledonian to do Multimedia Journalism, Northumbria for Journalism with Media Studies, University of Salford for Journalism (Multimedia) and finally London College of Communication to do Journalism.

Caley will probably be my first choice.

Anyone thinking of going to any of these unis?
Reply 38
Original post by kaaaaayleigh
Is it too early to start thinking about this? LOL

It's never too early to start thinking about these things! I was somewhat O.C.D., but I had some idea about what I wanted to go and do from when I was in Year 11 and beyond, really! Granted, I didn't start really planning out which universities I'd actually visit and which departments I'd make a point of seeing, as it was always a toss-up between English Literature or History for me in terms of what I'd studyt at uni', but I made sure I visited both faculties at the uni's in which I was most interested. That's important, I think.

So what subject and institutions are you looking at studying in, if you don't mind my asking?
Reply 39
Original post by me_
I'm applying for Glasgow Caledonian to do Multimedia Journalism, Northumbria for Journalism with Media Studies, University of Salford for Journalism (Multimedia) and finally London College of Communication to do Journalism.

Caley will probably be my first choice.

Anyone thinking of going to any of these unis?

Nice one :smile: Glasgow's a great city and has a heck of a lot going on there. Good for you.

Quick Reply

Latest