The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260

Interesting article there. I agree with them scrapping F and G grades because they truly do serve no purpose. Making some students think that they've achieved a pass, even while employers and universities reject those grades, is wrong, and is essentially devaluing GCSEs. However, we always knew that GCSEs were going to become harder. In some subjects, like Science and Maths, they have already started to become more challenging than in the past.

And yeah, I'm excited for college too. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DrSL
Ooh new thread! :biggrin: Hi everyone :') Hows exams going? Anyone excited for college like me?? Fresh start :')

Shiny new thread :biggrin: exams are going well thanks, how about you? :smile: I can't wait for college! Purely because I only have to do the subjects which I enjoy! :biggrin:
Sixthfrom > college :lol:
Controversial ? :wink:
Original post by blueray

I wouldn't like to go to my schools 6th form. I've been here for 5 years. I need a change in environment.
Reply 264
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Shiny new thread :biggrin: exams are going well thanks, how about you? :smile: I can't wait for college! Purely because I only have to do the subjects which I enjoy! :biggrin:

Okay! Been a bit lazy with revision though :colondollar: Yeah same! Also I need a change! Been in my school WAY too long :P
Hellooooo can't wait till exams are over, 13 exams left woooooo, had 21 now 13 :biggrin:
How many exams does everyone else have left? :')
What does everyone have planned for the summer?
Original post by TheArtOfThePoetic
Hellooooo can't wait till exams are over, 13 exams left woooooo, had 21 now 13 :biggrin:

Mine haven't even started yet!

I have ten though, so there aren't that many of them in fairness!
Over summer, some friends and I are planning to go camping (not too sure yet). Hopefully there will be quite a few parties on the go, and most importantly- Reading Festival! :biggrin:

You got anything nice planned?
Original post by DrSL
Okay! Been a bit lazy with revision though :colondollar: Yeah same! Also I need a change! Been in my school WAY too long :P

I've been staying behind after school for an hour or so everyday to revise :smile: I can't revise at home - too noisy! So I'm utilising the silence of after school hours :biggrin:
Reply 268
Original post by blueray

I would say you get more guidance at sixth form but probably a little less freedom..
i'm personally going to my school's sixth form as I love it there and it achieves great grades, putting it high in the rankings.

certain people prefer different styles of learning etc though so its hard to make a distinction at which one is better...
Reply 269
is anyone else still in school? our headteacher isn't letting us leave for another few weeks even though half of the lessons are becoming pointless to turn up to! and we won't know when we are leaving until an hour before when we get called into an assembly! is this the norm?
Original post by TheArtOfThePoetic

You're flying through them! :') I only have 7 left! :biggrin: really happy with that! I plan to just go over AS content of my chosen options, just to be prepared for when I get to college :smile: along with a few parties here and there :biggrin: you?
Reply 271
I've been staying behind after school for an hour or so everyday to revise :smile: I can't revise at home - too noisy! So I'm utilising the silence of after school hours :biggrin:

that's a good idea :smile:

i'm oddly wishing I was at school tbh today rather than on study leave - its so hard to motivate myself!
I'm going to go in for my exam on Monday and stay the whole day to get a good amount of revision done :smile:
Original post by Barney13
is anyone else still in school? our headteacher isn't letting us leave for another few weeks even though half of the lessons are becoming pointless to turn up to! and we won't know when we are leaving until an hour before when we get called into an assembly! is this the norm?

I don't get study leave whatsoever. We just have a bunch of 'free periods' now, where I've finished that subject, and I use that time for revision for other exams :smile:
Original post by g.k.galloway
that's a good idea :smile:

i'm oddly wishing I was at school tbh today rather than on study leave - its so hard to motivate myself!
I'm going to go in for my exam on Monday and stay the whole day to get a good amount of revision done :smile:

I'm making the most of every last second at school now. I've had a great time at my school, and I kind of don't want it to end! :frown: really going to miss that place.... I find myself staying behind for hours after school sometimes, just to revise, and go and have a chat with my favourite teachers. Our school has a lot of amazing teachers. They're more of our mates than they are teachers! :biggrin: gonna miss em.
Reply 274
Original post by Barney13

we got told at 3.00pm on Wednesday that at 3.30 we'd be on study leave :smile:

many schools are not leaving until May 30th/June 1st as that when the government have said year 11's can leave. Anyone who has left sooner has to have had an EWO (education welfare officer) inspect the year at their school and decide whether study leave would be a good idea for them....rather annoying and unnecessary if you ask me...it should be the head teacher/head of years decision.

then again... I suppose if the EWO person says yes the head teacher may still be able to refuse...
Reply 275
I'm making the most of every last second at school now. I've had a great time at my school, and I kind of don't want it to end! :frown: really going to miss that place.... I find myself staying behind for hours after school sometimes, just to revise, and go and have a chat with my favourite teachers. Our school has a lot of amazing teachers. They're more of our mates than they are teachers! :biggrin: gonna miss em.

Same! I think because I go to a private school and it's small all the teachers are pretty close to us :smile: But it's time to leave!
Reply 276

I'm staying at the same school (as long as i get the grades :smile:) so I should be able to see all my favorite teachers again as most of them teach the subjects I want to take.
Our teacher's also know us really well so its been odd - we've had lots of group photos! my maths teacher for example has taught me for 5 years! I'm hoping to get the same teacher next year :smile:
Original post by thisisjokes
Mine haven't even started yet!

I have ten though, so there aren't that many of them in fairness!
Over summer, some friends and I are planning to go camping (not too sure yet). Hopefully there will be quite a few parties on the go, and most importantly- Reading Festival! :biggrin:

You got anything nice planned?

Awww lucky you, good luck anyway when they start :smile:
Erm not much tbh, probably go out with friends and enjoy myself for the first time in 6 months lol :smile:
Camping sounds good i'm sure you'll have lots of fun :biggrin:
6 exams down, 10 to go :biggrin:
I wouldn't like to go to my schools 6th form. I've been here for 5 years. I need a change in environment.

Original post by g.k.galloway
I would say you get more guidance at sixth form but probably a little less freedom..
i'm personally going to my school's sixth form as I love it there and it achieves great grades, putting it high in the rankings.

certain people prefer different styles of learning etc though so its hard to make a distinction at which one is better...

Haha yeah i'm changing :smile:
It's a bit closer and its only a sixth form :biggrin:
Less fredom but better grades :tongue:

Latest