The Student Room Group

AQA Economics 25th May 2012 Unit 2 Exam

Thought I'd get a thread started on this.

Scroll to see replies

I thought it was a bit odd that no-one had started a thread when I looked on Wednesday!

How is everyone preparing for this exam? I'm in A2 (we weren't entered last summer - and nearly weren't entered this summer as the teacher forgot). Realised I've only ever answers the DRQs once in two years!

To top it off, I can't remember Unit 2, and we only spent about 4-5 weeks on Econ4 (as when spent until Easter doing Econ3). So I'm screwing it..any help? :P
Reply 2
Hey, thanks for starting this!

I haven't really started on unit 2 revision yet, and I wanted to know what are the main topics that we need to know for the exam, and please dont just say everything thats in the book.

For example what comes up all the time on the last 25 mark essay, I know that we need to definetly know all the 3 policies (supply side, fiscal, monetary and possibly exchange rate) is that it or are there any more.

Because with unit 1 i know that we only needed to essentially know government intervention/failure and market forces/failure pretty much so what is the jist with unit 2?

thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by ninegrandstudent
I thought it was a bit odd that no-one had started a thread when I looked on Wednesday!

How is everyone preparing for this exam? I'm in A2 (we weren't entered last summer - and nearly weren't entered this summer as the teacher forgot). Realised I've only ever answers the DRQs once in two years!

To top it off, I can't remember Unit 2, and we only spent about 4-5 weeks on Econ4 (as when spent until Easter doing Econ3). So I'm screwing it..any help? :P

I know. So I started one. :lol:

I'm just skimming through the text book "anderton" is the one I use. And making sure I understand the concepts, definitions and advantages and disadvantages of different policies.

I'm also A2. I've already got an A grade in the exam I'm just doing it to try and get more marks. And I was going to learn it anyway because unit 4 builds on unit 2.

For unit 4 go on iPlayer and search for "The Great Euro Crash with Robert Peston" it looks interesting and helpful :biggrin:. I haven't had time to watch it yet myself though.
Reply 4
Original post by sundeep525
Hey, thanks for starting this!

I haven't really started on unit 2 revision yet, and I wanted to know what are the main topics that we need to know for the exam, and please dont just say everything thats in the book.

For example what comes up all the time on the last 25 mark essay, I know that we need to definetly know all the 3 policies (supply side, fiscal, monetary and possibly exchange rate) is that it or are there any more.

Because with unit 1 i know that we only needed to essentially know government intervention/failure and market forces/failure pretty much so what is the jist with unit 2?

thanks!

Aggregate demand and aggregate supply diagrams and equilibriums.

Components of AD so (consumption, investment, government expenditure, exports and imports).

Short run AS and long run AS.

Macroeconomic indicators so economic growth, unemployment, inflation and balance of payments.

Economic cycle (peaks and booms, negative and positive output gaps)

Circular flow of income and injections and leakages

The 3 policies you stated and exchange rate policy.
Thanks for starting this.
I was wondering if somebody could give me an idea of how to structure a unit 2 essay (25 mark) and what I need to include (something of a plan) because my unit 2 teacher was awful but my unit 1 teacher was very good. Is it pretty similar to the unit 1 25 mark?
Reply 6
Original post by . .
Aggregate demand and aggregate supply diagrams and equilibriums.

Components of AD so (consumption, investment, government expenditure, exports and imports).

Short run AS and long run AS.

Macroeconomic indicators so economic growth, unemployment, inflation and balance of payments.

Economic cycle (peaks and booms, negative and positive output gaps)

Circular flow of income and injections and leakages

The 3 policies you stated and exchange rate policy.

Thanks for this, im also using the anderton text book, so it would be extremely helpful if you could please outline the chapter numbers, even though everything you just stated is all of them haha.

Also as the guy above me stated, do we structure the 25 mark essay exactly like unit 2 and what do we talk about. Is it essentially just the different policies and then go on to say how these affect the different macroeconomic objectives of: inflation, balance of payments, unemployment and economic growth?
Reply 7
Original post by sundeep525
Thanks for this, im also using the anderton text book, so it would be extremely helpful if you could please outline the chapter numbers, even though everything you just stated is all of them haha.

Also as the guy above me stated, do we structure the 25 mark essay exactly like unit 2 and what do we talk about. Is it essentially just the different policies and then go on to say how these affect the different macroeconomic objectives of: inflation, balance of payments, unemployment and economic growth?

Yeah you pretty much have to revise everything :lol:

Yeah the structure for the 25 mark essay is the same.
Hi, was wondering what topics do you think might come up for the AQA Econ 2 exam on 25th ? Any ideas???? I have to pass this one! please helpp :frown:
Thank you,
Reply 9
This exams going to be horrible -_-
Reply 10
Original post by Dopey'
This exams going to be horrible -_-

Why?
Reply 11
Original post by . .
Why?

ive been focusing on maths, i dont really know anything and i dont where to start they can ask anything its not as basic as unit 1, how do you learn economics?
Reply 12
Original post by Dopey'
ive been focusing on maths, i dont really know anything and i dont where to start they can ask anything its not as basic as unit 1, how do you learn economics?

Make a list of the major topics.

Summarise them. Summarise them again and again until I have a condensed it all to a couple of pages of notes.

I usually draw flow diagrams such as an increase interest rates will lead to an increase in saving, increase in loan and mortgage repayments which will lead to people having a reduced disposable income which will lead to consumption decreasing which will ultimately lead to AD decreasing assuming all other components of AD remain the same.

Define all the important terms.

Write advantages and disadvantages of each policy.

Learn the exam technique.
Reply 13
Original post by . .
Make a list of the major topics.

Summarise them. Summarise them again and again until I have a condensed it all to a couple of pages of notes.

I usually draw flow diagrams such as an increase interest rates will lead to an increase in saving, increase in loan and mortgage repayments which will lead to people having a reduced disposable income which will lead to consumption decreasing which will ultimately lead to AD decreasing assuming all other components of AD remain the same.

Define all the important terms.

Write advantages and disadvantages of each policy.

Learn the exam technique.

Thank you, I need a B wonder if its doable :frown: do you have msn? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Dopey'
Thank you, I need a B wonder if its doable :frown: do you have msn? :smile:

I do. I don't give it to strangers though. Nothing personal and I hardly use msn messenger.

It is possible.

For exam technique:

Introductory paragraph - Definition and briefly outline three/four major arguments you will be discussing.

Paragraph 2 : First argument and then analyse it too. Point out the flaws in the argument.

Paragraph 3 : Same.

Paragraph 4 : Same.

Evaluation : Sum it up, don't add any new arguments. Maybe throw in your own opinion on the matter if you want.

If you can use real life examples to back up your arguments. Use data from the information given. Use diagrams to help you explain a concept (but a diagram isn't sufficient on its own) make sure you talk the examiner through the diagram.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
haha i understand, i aint no rapist though lol joking, thanks I started now i forgot i typed notes back in march, hopefully their not cruel to us in the exam!

what about the multiple choice questions, do they vary or are they pretty repetitive?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Dopey'
haha i understand, i aint no rapist though lol joking, thanks I started now i forgot i typed notes back in march, hopefully their not cruel to us in the exam!

what about the multiple choice questions, do they vary or are they pretty repetitive?

:lol: We can hope.

Multiple choice question are repetitive. Do the old spec multiple choice questions as well quiet a few are repeated from there.
http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/business/economics_materials_old.php?id=05&prev=
Reply 17
Hello everyone one... this thread is for all AQA unit 2 the national economy revision notes, questions and queries. To start us off, I have attached a pdf from Tutor2u.
doesn't let me attach so heres the link:

http://tutor2u.net/maps/economics/AQA_Econ_AS_Mod2.pdf
Original post by venenecinema
Thanks for starting this.
I was wondering if somebody could give me an idea of how to structure a unit 2 essay (25 mark) and what I need to include (something of a plan) because my unit 2 teacher was awful but my unit 1 teacher was very good. Is it pretty similar to the unit 1 25 mark?

The Macro 25 mark question always asks you about something and its effect on macroeconomic performance, so learn definitions for this and include them in your intro. You can also spend time talking about whatever it is (for example, a fall in consumer spending) and its effect on each of the five policy objectives. Obviously talk about AD and its other components [AD] and the effect on competitiveness etc..
Always talk about long run vs short run! And get lots of wider context into your answer.
Original post by Bourbons&Nutella
The Macro 25 mark question always asks you about something and its effect on macroeconomic performance, so learn definitions for this and include them in your intro. You can also spend time talking about whatever it is (for example, a fall in consumer spending) and its effect on each of the five policy objectives. Obviously talk about AD and its other components [AD] and the effect on competitiveness etc..
Always talk about long run vs short run! And get lots of wider context into your answer.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending