The Student Room Group

AQA- Maths statistics 1b

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mike1
You cant have negative litres...
I think the answer was [5.02,5.08]

I don't think I converted into litres from millilitres :/ arwell!!!
Reply 41
Original post by HannahScragg
I don't think I converted into litres from millilitres :/ arwell!!!

Yeah, you had to do 75/1000. Then use the Central Limit Theorem.
Reply 42

Original post by Mike1
You cant have negative litres...
I think the answer was [5.02,5.08]

you are right, i just messed it up bad :frown:
Reply 43
everyone seems to think the paper was pretty easy tbf, i do hope the grade boundaries aren't too high for it :frown: Does anyone have any answers for the questions in which you have to explain something, often using sentences? thanks
:/ arwell...hopfully I'll only get penalised once!
Reply 45
Original post by HannahScragg
I put yes, as surely you had to use it, as in the qustion it did not state that the sample was assumed to be normally distributed, and in order to calculate a confidence intervals the sample means must be assumed to be normally distributed, and the only way you could tell this was by the Cental Limit Theorem as n>30

Oh crap I for about the n>30, sh** I could have pulled out another mark but anyway overall it was very good and fair paper,:smile:.

BTW for the mean your meant to divide the volume 18..../36, am I right? and you get something like 5.05 or 5.5 cant exactly remember the right answer. :rolleyes:
I said no to central limit theorem and showed x - ns is positive therefore it is not needed.

My two regression lines didn't intersect. Messed up the last part of the toilets and bedrooms probability question.

But overall it was standard. :smile:
Reply 47
I said no to CLT, as you can assume them to be normally distributed (as in June 2006 question 4, with the packets of raisins).
Original post by pleask
I said no to CLT, as you can assume them to be normally distributed (as in June 2006 question 4, with the packets of raisins).

But it did not say they were normally distributed :s-smilie:
Reply 49
For the CI one the answer was 5.02 to 5.08, and the central limit theorem was used in part a) as it didn't state the distribution and the sample was greater than 30. Did anyone else find the last question on numerical measures confusing? I didn't know how to calculate the new mean with 280 more from the private courier :s! The majority of my year found it hard?
Reply 50
Original post by l2ob
everyone seems to think the paper was pretty easy tbf, i do hope the grade boundaries aren't too high for it :frown: Does anyone have any answers for the questions in which you have to explain something, often using sentences? thanks

I put for the one where we had to comment on two claims that, the new standard deviation was 4.14, and that this was similar to the other standard deviation so it was valid about it being random. And I put that the means were extremely similar so that the first claim was also valid. I think it will be based on whatever you think as long as it is justified.
Reply 51
Oh and for the normal distribution question, did people just put the answer to the power of 4 on one of them? Or was there more to it, as they said that none will lie within 5.something<X<5.14
Reply 52
yeh, i got 5.02 and 5.08.. teacher said it was that too
Reply 53
what was the reasoning for the CLT question.. i put yes, but something about normal distribution.. i can't really remember... but, would i get the mark with just saying it was used.. or was the mark for saying why..? it was 1 mark, right?
Reply 54
for the one about the 4.. you had to do 1-ans. before that one.. and then that answer to the power of 4... i think..
Reply 55
what do you guys think the boundary will be??
the highest it has been on stats has been 62, but it was easier than past exam papers... so, im thinking 62-64 iish for the A
Reply 56
Original post by Lehal
for the one about the 4.. you had to do 1-ans. before that one.. and then that answer to the power of 4... i think..

Oh that makes sense! Thank you!:smile:
Reply 57
no problem .. what do u think the boundary will be for the A..
Reply 58
Original post by Lehal
no problem .. what do u think the boundary will be for the A..

62 at the most and 58 at the least I think, as they did have some strangely worded questions, but they weren't too hard to decipher :smile:
Reply 59
cool.. and btw, for the new mean question.. i think you had to do.. 280 x (your mean calculated from previous question) divided by 175.. it has been in a past paper i think..

Quick Reply

Latest