The Student Room Group

Black (Asian too) and/or British?

Scroll to see replies

let me pull a mentalist on you. why are you so obsessed with your origin? you are not alone. there are many people like you in this world.

interesting thing about people like yourself is that for some reason you seem to think you, individual, can represent the white communities. history by definition describes history of communities not individuals. i am sensing loneliness in you. i may have misspoken. i am sensing a strong fear of loneliness.

Original post by Pyramidologist
You aren't British. The British are the indigenous peoples of the British Isles who descend from very early prehistoric settlers, during the Mesolithic. Blacks in contrast only settled in Britain after Windrush (1950's-60's).

My ancestors have been here since 12,000 BC. Blacks in contrast are immigrants who only have a history here for about 50 years.

Please just pick up a history book and educate yourself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 241
You aren't British. The British are the indigenous peoples of the British Isles who descend from very early prehistoric settlers, during the Mesolithic. Blacks in contrast only settled in Britain after Windrush (1950's-60's).

My ancestors have been here since 12,000 BC. Blacks in contrast are immigrants who only have a history here for about 50 years.

If she is a British citizen then she is, in fact, British.

British people (also referred to as the British, Britons, or informally as Brits or Britishers) are citizens or natives of the United Kingdom, of the Isle of Man, of any of the Channel Islands, or of any of the British overseas territories, and their descendants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_people
Reply 242
As far as I can see, anyone who has any claim to not being from here generally claims to not being from here. I mean, it helps them forge part of their identity and recognise their heritage, and especially if they haven't lived in the country of their ancestors then there is something alluring about it. I have a black friend who considers himself British, born and bred. His family has been here longer than mine (Irish white) so I'd agree with him. But then I have a white mate with parents from South Africa and she insists she is South African despite being born in this country and having spent the majority of her life here. I think she'd rather live here because she has more opportunities available to her (e.g. Student Loan and stuff) but she is very patriotic about South Africa and with any sports or anything she'll always be South African.
Reply 243

I highly doubt that. Whilst you may have some family lines dating back that far you'll find your ancestry swamped with immigrants if you really are as British as you're claiming to be. As for black people, they have been in this country for about 2000 years actually so get your facts right.

Vikings, Saxons, Romans, the French, Roma, the Danes, the Nazis, etc. If you're gonna date yourself back 12000 years you better be prepared for a **** load of skeletons to lock in the cupboard.

Please just pick up a history book and educate yourself. :wink:
Original post by Dee Leigh
I presume you wouldn't like to live there...

I wouldn't...unless it was somewhere like Abuja...my mum asked me if I ever wanted to live there...and I was thinking nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She and my dad want to go back, but I have no plans to at all.

1. Yeah Abuja is so much nicer and cleaners
2. My parents want to go back as well, my mum would like to open a school my dad wants to open a business. But me I have no interest.
For all those applying the "Blood and soil" analogy, how about white south Africans? Or white (and black) Americans? Or white Australians/New Zealanders?

Are they really African, American, Australian etc.??

Enough already!

Stop telling me who/what I am!!!!!

And don't you dare insult my intelligence!!!!
I think it's safe to conclude from all these that im so academic is, in fact, a troll. :colone:
Original post by im so academic
No you are Asian. When people first see you they think "Asian", not British.

That's what I said. Ethnicity is your skin colour.

So, I am ASIAN by skin colour.
British- only by passport.
Original post by PinkyQT
-Crap electricity- always switches off
-Open gutters
-Juju men
- Bumpy roads
-Poor education
- Poverty
- Don't get me started on the corrupt government
- Home of fraud (419)
- Mosquito
- Quality of entertainment (the tv shows quality)

That's all I can think about for now. You cant deny this. All my family agree with me when I say this.

Original post by Kruz
1. Yeah Abuja is so much nicer and cleaners
2. My parents want to go back as well, my mum would like to open a school my dad wants to open a business. But me I have no interest.

It's funny how Nigerian parents would send their kids over there to be educated...I'm glad I was educated over there...I prefer this country as it has given me the help and support I needed to better myself...
(edited 11 years ago)
Jews, nor Blacks are indigenous British. The indigenous British are the ''White British'' on the govermental census.

I said British not indigenous British, and even on the topic of indigenous British, how do you tell a non-practicing Jew apart fron an indigenous Brit? I even know some Jews that tick White British on the census. If somebody sees a Jew, what tells them that they aren't indigenous Brits?
Original post by RevolutionIsNear!
For all those applying the "Blood and soil" analogy, how about white south Africans? Or white (and black) Americans? Or white Australians/New Zealanders?

Are they really African, American, Australian etc.??

That's the thing. There are some fringe groups in America who are calling for their own separate, racial section of the country, but what gives them any right to the land, "given that they haven't been there for 12,000 years"?
It's funny how Nigerian parents would send their kids over there to be educated...I'm glad I was educated over there...I prefer this country as it has given me the help and support I needed to better myself...

I had a family friend, who was misbehaving (smoking, drinking, going to later, etc.) so they decided to send their son back, and he's behaving better.
Original post by Kruz
I had a family friend, who was misbehaving (smoking, drinking, going to later, etc.) so they decided to send their son back, and he's behaving better.

I totally get that. Some Asians are like that as well.

But then you get those people who send their kids back anyway cos "all British kids are rude." and "the school system here isn't great"

I can kind of see where they are coming from, but I am so glad I was educated here and not there.

I can't compare and say which is better: Britain or Nigeria...my one of my brothers went to school there for a few years - he wasn't bad here but he was mute at school so the kids and teachers took advantage and he had a bad time, so my parents decided to send him abroad in the hope that he might have a better education.

For a while he was fine and he wasn't mute anymore but then he had such a bad time there. Eventually he came back but he was like a ticking timebomb, he was so traumatised and so angry. I have 'issues' so I imagine I would have been worse off.
I totally get that. Some Asians are like that as well.

But then you get those people who send their kids back anyway cos "all British kids are rude." and "the school system here isn't great"

I can kind of see where they are coming from, but I am so glad I was educated here and not there.

I can't compare and say which is better: Britain or Nigeria...my one of my brothers went to school there for a few years - he wasn't bad here but he was mute at school so the kids and teachers took advantage and he had a bad time, so my parents decided to send him abroad in the hope that he might have a better education.

For a while he was fine and he wasn't mute anymore but then he had such a bad time there. Eventually he came back but he was like a ticking timebomb, he was so traumatised and so angry. I have 'issues' so I imagine I would have been worse off.

In year 9 my mum threatened with that, so from then I fixed up and worked harder. So I'm much more better, yeah it really did make me sit up, and concentrate.
Reply 255
Stop the crackpottery. There were no Blacks here in ancient times. The first recorded appearance of a ''Negro'' in British literature is the late 16th century. These however were just a handful of slaves, they were later expelled by Elizabeth I at the turn of the 17th century, and only resettled Britain in a sizable population after Empire Windrush (1950's-60's).

The Black immigrants in UK today do not descend from the slave immigrants here 400 years ago. Elizabeth I expelled them. Blacks today in Britain descend from immigrants who settled here within the last 60 or so years. They have no ancestral heritage here whatsoever.

Actually, the first black people came into this country with the Roman or even before:

Ahmed Ali and Ibrahim Ali, The Black Celts: an Ancient African Civilization in Ireland and Britain (Cardiff, 1992)

Edit: besides, Nationality doesn't depend on where your ancestors are from but on where you spent most of your life living, where you consider home and what culture you've adopted. As such, black and asian people may be considered British. If you deny this then I ask if I am British? I consider myself as such for sure, but my family have been living here for less than 60 years.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 256

Most people define 'British' as an ethnicity tied to nationality. According to this, who the indigenous people of the territory are is irrelevant. Furthermore, even if you were to take into account the indigenous people, they could be defined as a cultural and linguistic group. According to this, anyone who fits the cultural and linguistic criteria is 'British'.

However, I do agree with you that, in the end, a recently immigrated group will not be seen as 'British'. Going by the trends in other parts of the world, immigrants have to be settled there for a considerable amount of time before being allowed the identity of that nation, amongst other factors.
Original post by Kruz
In year 9 my mum threatened with that, so from then I fixed up and worked harder. So I'm much more better, yeah it really did make me sit up, and concentrate.

Lol were you behaving badly?

I know a girl (Asian) whose parents nearly sent her to Pakistan because she was secretly hanging around with boys...in the end she didn't go.

I considered going because I was having very bad issues at school. I just wanted to focus on my studies so I thought being in Nigeria might benefit me more. But after what my brother went through, I'm so so glad I didn't go. I couldn't have coped.

I've heard there are ways of avoiding being sent abroad...like getting the social services involved... :s-smilie:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 258
Lol were you behaving badly?

I know a girl (Asian) whose parents nearly sent her to Pakistan because she was secretly hanging around with boys...in the end she didn't go.

I considered going because I was having very bad issues at school. I just wanted to focus on my studies so I thought being in Nigeria might benefit me more. But after what my brother went through, I'm so so glad I didn't go. I couldn't have coped.

I've heard there are ways of avoiding being sent abroad...like getting the social services involved... :s-smilie:

Original post by Kruz

Lol, a friend of mine was shipped for 2 years and a bit because of his behavior in school. His parents told him it was a holiday and they left him loool.
Original post by Reform
Lol, a friend of mine was shipped for 2 years and a bit because of his behavior in school. His parents told him it was a holiday and they left him loool.

Omg!!!!

Did he turn out alright? Where did he go?

(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest