The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

thanks for the advice :smile:

doesn't cheer me up much though, only thing left is to hope that I'll get a 6 in Chem. :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8161
Original post by echelon_m
thanks for the advice :smile:

doesn't cheer me up much though, only thing left is to hope that I'll get a 6 in Chem. :s-smilie:

This is where you are WRONGGGG :biggrin:

Barts, Cambridge, Cardiff, Durham, Imperial, Keele, Kings, Newcastle & St George require you to achieve a 6 in EITHER Chemistry or Biology.

Feel better now? :h:
Reply 8162
Hey I was just wondering if you get AAAb in your AS year with in A in chem but a B in biology, will does that exclude me out of a lot of options in university choice?
Reply 8163
Original post by Nucleo
Hey I was just wondering if you get AAAb in your AS year with in A in chem but a B in biology, will does that exclude me out of a lot of options in university choice?

No. Universities will generally place a greater weighting on your A2 predictions. As long as your predictions for both Biology and Chemistry are at grade A, it should be fine.
Reply 8164
Original post by Vulpes
That is no longer correct. Sheffield has changed its admission policy and has placed a much lower emphasis on the UKCAT. Their UKCAT cutoff score for 2012 Entry was 625 for Home / EU applicants.

Oh jesus, the sky is falling!

(Thanks :p:)
Reply 8165
Original post by Vulpes
No. Universities will generally place a greater weighting on your A2 predictions. As long as your predictions for both Biology and Chemistry are at grade A, it should be fine.

Ah ok thanks, :smile:
Original post by MarkyMark2012

You need to email some medical schools outlining your circumstances and ask their advice - some may recommend an access to medicine course (usually at a specific college) rather than A levels.

I don't think your grades at 18 will hold you back too much.

Don't worry about your age; the oldest person on my course in first year was in his 40s.
Agree with above. Get in contact with medical schools, see what they think. They can advise you onto a path of correction.

Realise however that studying isn't a walk in the park and you will obviously need to be sure. (Not trying to patronise, but as I'm sure you know life is expensive and quitting a job is a lot easier than getting one)
I'm currently doing my AS levels and I'm set to get A's in bio chem and history but I'm really struggling with physics. I intended to take physics to A2 but if I do badly with it in these exams I'm not sure if my teachers will still predict me an A or if I can even get an A at A2. If i do well with my other subjects and entrance exams can I still be accepted with below an A in physics?
Original post by blueprint97
I'm currently doing my AS levels and I'm set to get A's in bio chem and history but I'm really struggling with physics. I intended to take physics to A2 but if I do badly with it in these exams I'm not sure if my teachers will still predict me an A or if I can even get an A at A2. If i do well with my other subjects and entrance exams can I still be accepted with below an A in physics?

Medical School A-Level Requirements

As you can see from this, most require AAA. You may get an offer with predicted AAA, however it is unlikely you will get an offer with predicted AAB, as you are not meeting the initial grade requirements for most Universities.

Why not take History to A2? Considering you are struggling with Physics?
(edited 11 years ago)
thanks for the reply guys...
Original post by English King
Apologies for the Wall of text.

I'm in a similar position to you. I will be 23 when I graduate from Nottingham in Management Studies and plan to apply for their GEM course starting 2012.

This link shows every GEM course in the UK and also has other useful things in there: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11

Having a 1st already definitely puts you in a great position because you can apply to 5 of the 6 Unis that don't ask for: GCSE or A level grades, and dont care what subject your first degree was in as long as you got a 2:1 or higher (or just 2:2 in the case of Notts and St Georges). The Unis I'm referring to from the link are: KCL, Swansea, Keele, Newcastle (2:1+ unis).

For Nottingham, Swansea, St Georges and Keele you will need to sit the GAMSAT test which is basically an aptitude test that tests you on your: verbal reasoning, essay writing skills, and science knowledge. Coming from a business subject you'll probably find the essay writing part easy, and verbal reasoning can be practiced just by reading good newspapers and books regularly. Science on the other hand needs to be learnt, I'd recommend teaching yourself A level: physics, chemisty and Biology + get the Organic Chemistry for Dummies book. This will give you all the knowledge you'll need to score heavily. Also buy the Acer GAMSAT practice questions to familarise yourself with what the test is like.

For the other 2 Unis you need to take the UKCAT which from what I'm told is a walk in the park compared to the GAMSAT as it doesn't require any revision, just practice answering their style of questions. However getting places into these Unis is more competitive because both Unis that offer the course that you meet the reqs for take less than 25 people each year.

I would advise focusing on the GAMSAT because even though the exams tougher you're increasing your chances of getting a place. For example; Notts offer 91 places, St Georges 98, Swansea 70.

I read an inspiring story from an online article last year; that a single mother of 1 studied for the GAMSAT for around an avg of 5 hours a day for 3 months, and scored over 80 percentile in the exam (with no prior Science knowledge before her revision since GCSE's) and now is on her 2nd or 3rd year in Medicine.

The GAMSAT registration for their 17th September 2010 sitting opens sometime in June which is definitely worth a punt. From June-Sept 17th if you put in something like 4hrs a day revision or abouts will definitely have a great chance of getting a good grade. Also another great thing about the GAMSAT is the marks can be used for upto 2 years, so if you don't make it through the interviews the first time you won't need to sit the GAMSAT again, unless you don't make through the interviews the 2nd time as well.

This here is a great site where lots of GAMSAT students exchange tips etc: http://pagingdr.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=gamsat

Studying aside make some time for gaining some work experience as well, 8-16 hours a week for a period of at least 3 months at a Care home will be great experience. I have been told from an inside source that they value care work over gp shadowing or hosptial work due to its direct caring nature. So prioritise getting Care home work over the others...
Take care,
James

thanks james, btw have you got the link to the "single mother, studied for the GAMSAT..." l would like to read it, one more thing lm am currently at school writing my AS Bio Chem Phy exams .. have you got any tips to give me a boast to aim of A's at A level ... right now my dream of medicine is just a vague thought in my head that l somehow believe is going to transform in to reality without or little hard work ...l am extremely lazy :facepalm:
if I were to get AABB at AS, then what medical schools should I absolutely not apply for. I have oxford cambridge and birmingham noted down. :smile:
Reply 8173
Original post by AspiringGenius
if I were to get AABB at AS, then what medical schools should I absolutely not apply for. I have oxford cambridge and birmingham noted down. :smile:

Barts unless you were predicted a string of A*s
Original post by myyrh
Barts unless you were predicted a string of A*s

hiya, what do you mean predicted? :smile:

\\EDIT: soz, misinterpretation :smile: thanks :smile:
do you have be 16+ to do work experience in a GP ??? ( im 15 in year 10 ) and asked my GP and they said i would have to write a letter :-) :/
Is Chemistry Biology Art at A2 good enough to apply for medicine or not??????????????????
heya, i'm in year 11 and making a-level choices (already have them chosen but am having some concerns..)

at the moment i've got -
biology
chemistry
maths
economics

but I was wondering whether to swap econ. for physics? I'm not sure which universities prefer or whether it doesn't matter too much for the 4th choice as it will most likely be the one i drop...

thanks !
Reply 8178
Original post by g.k.galloway
heya, i'm in year 11 and making a-level choices (already have them chosen but am having some concerns..)

at the moment i've got -
biology
chemistry
maths
economics

but I was wondering whether to swap econ. for physics? I'm not sure which universities prefer or whether it doesn't matter too much for the 4th choice as it will most likely be the one i drop...

thanks !

It really doesn't matter, if you enjoy economics go for that :smile:

I personally do those just the sciences and maths subjects but that's only because I was more confident about getting As/A*s in these subjects - not because they were required (well except for bio and chem obviously).
Reply 8179
Original post by techno836
do you have be 16+ to do work experience in a GP ??? ( im 15 in year 10 ) and asked my GP and they said i would have to write a letter :-) :/

I did some wxp at a GPs before being 16. Depends on the practice though and their policy :smile:

Latest