The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature 22/05/12 - To Kill A Mockingbird

I see a lot of people on this forum are doing Of Mice & Men. Are there many doing To Kill A Mockingbird?
The one trouble I find with the book is finding important quotes, since the book is fairly thick in comparison to some of the other GCSE novels. Anybody got tips or advice for the TKAM side of the exam next Tuesday? What can we expect to possibly come up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing TKAM :smile:
Our teacher thinks something within the trial chapters might be given as the extract, but I guess it could be anything. Just make sure you know the key themes and characters, and know a couple of quotes that would support any points, especially about social/historical context! :smile:
I'm doing this TKAM aswell.. notes appreciated? Our teacher hasn't given us anything :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by Archengsculp
I'm doing this TKAM aswell.. notes appreciated? Our teacher hasn't given us anything :s-smilie:

No notes at all!? That's crazy!
Has anyone made a list of what events could show the key themes?
I've come up with a few if anyone is interested un sharing :wink:

E.g. The theme of courage is shown through mrs dubose's death
Original post by Mill13
No notes at all!? That's crazy!

yeah >.< she just says that we have to mention bits of the book and find some key events
Reply 6
Original post by alexandraa
Has anyone made a list of what events could show the key themes?
I've come up with a few if anyone is interested un sharing :wink:

E.g. The theme of courage is shown through mrs dubose's death

Could also say that courage is shown through other characters- like, Atticus having the moral courage to fight against what Maycomb society thinks is right etc?

Cowardice- Mainly Bob Ewell, his beating up of the children rather than fighting Atticus directly.

Justice vs. Law- That in Maycomb the 2 aren't necessarily the same thing- guess it's just shown through the outcome of the trial? That the Law (should) offer everybody a fair trial but that in reality this doesn't bring justice in the end.

Racism & Racial Prejudice- Could use anything for that really!? Atticus talking about "Maycombs usual disease". Could mention Lula to show that it does also exist from the black community towards whites.

Social prejudice- Shown with Mayella, who aspires to advance socially (shown by her growing flowers etc.) but is trapped by her family name and societies prejudices against her.

Childhood to maturity- Scout fighting Cecil Jacobs but then learning that moral courage is stronger than physical courage. Scout's understanding that "there's just one kind of folks. Folks."

Others could be education, fear, innocence, family? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Archengsculp
yeah >.< she just says that we have to mention bits of the book and find some key events

Woah :eek: There's some good stuff on here even though it's not that detailed? :smile: http://www.gradesaver.com/to-kill-a-mockingbird/study-guide/major-themes/
Original post by Mill13
Woah :eek: There's some good stuff on here even though it's not that detailed? :smile: http://www.gradesaver.com/to-kill-a-mockingbird/study-guide/major-themes/

thanks!
Original post by Mill13
Could also say that courage is shown through other characters- like, Atticus having the moral courage to fight against what Maycomb society thinks is right etc?

Cowardice- Mainly Bob Ewell, his beating up of the children rather than fighting Atticus directly.

Justice vs. Law- That in Maycomb the 2 aren't necessarily the same thing- guess it's just shown through the outcome of the trial? That the Law (should) offer everybody a fair trial but that in reality this doesn't bring justice in the end.

Racism & Racial Prejudice- Could use anything for that really!? Atticus talking about "Maycombs usual disease". Could mention Lula to show that it does also exist from the black community towards whites.

Social prejudice- Shown with Mayella, who aspires to advance socially (shown by her growing flowers etc.) but is trapped by her family name and societies prejudices against her.

Childhood to maturity- Scout fighting Cecil Jacobs but then learning that moral courage is stronger than physical courage. Scout's understanding that "there's just one kind of folks. Folks."

Others could be education, fear, innocence, family? :smile:

Wow thanks! Those all sounds great :smile: I'm hoping a character question comes up rather than a theme :s-smilie: I'm rubbish at theme questions

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Mill13

That website is great! Just what I was looking for!!! :biggrin:

Reply 11
That website is great! Just what I was looking for!!! :biggrin:

Ahh good! :biggrin:
Yeah, themes are more difficult! Possibly the Cunninghams or Dill will come up? :smile:
i did TKAm for GCSE so I'm here if anybody needs advice :smile:
Original post by Mill13
Ahh good! :biggrin:
Yeah, themes are more difficult! Possibly the Cunninghams or Dill will come up? :smile:

Ooh I'd like that! I sort of hope that the Ewells will come up as there is so much to say about them! But the cunninghams are sort of contrasting to the Ewells :smile: Thanks for the info though :biggrin:

The only thing I do know is that miss Maudie won't come up as she was in the January exam :wink:

Reply 15
The first question is usually about a character and the second is usually about a theme. The second question is always harder because no passage is provided.
My teacher seemed to think Scout was likely to be the character question because she hasn't come up yet, and obviously she's a very prominent character. If she does come up, it'll be all to do with what Mill13 said about her character development and how she matures through the course of the book.
Original post by Globox
The first question is usually about a character and the second is usually about a theme. The second question is always harder because no passage is provided.
My teacher seemed to think Scout was likely to be the character question because she hasn't come up yet, and obviously she's a very prominent character. If she does come up, it'll be all to do with what Mill13 said about her character development and how she matures through the course of the book.

Probably but this exam is a new spec so anything could come up :/ I hope prejudice or calpurnia comes up

Reply 17
Original post by Globox

My teacher seemed to think Scout was likely to be the character question because she hasn't come up yet, and obviously she's a very prominent character.

Oooh hadn't even thought about Scout! Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Mill13
Oooh hadn't even thought about Scout! Thanks :biggrin:

If it was about her growing up would you look at her maturity at the start and end of the novel and compare it??

Reply 19
Ooh I'd like that! I sort of hope that the Ewells will come up as there is so much to say about them! But the cunninghams are sort of contrasting to the Ewells :smile: Thanks for the info though :biggrin:

The Ewells would be so good but I think they've already come up? Their position in society and then about Mayella?

Yeah Cunninghams would be good to contrast! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest