The Student Room Group

how can you drink & stay thin?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I often drink 10 pints and a kebab to finish it off and I'm relatively thin
Vodka has more like 50 calories than 70, doesn't it? I've always thought it was 50 for a shot of any spirit?

I've managed to lose weight while continuing to drink the same amount as usual. One drunk night a week will not make that much difference overall as long as you don't overeat in the rest of the week. The main issue I have is trying not to eat when I get home drunk. I lose all motivation for the diet by that point and end up really regretting it in the morning.

Eating less throughout the day on the day you're drinking does work as you compensate for the alcohol calories and you need to drink less to get drunk. However, not eating very much before drinking is more likely to make you sick, which is a disgusting way pleases me as I know I haven't wasted a day of the diet. But when I go on diets I go slightly insane and its all I can ever think about (except when I'm drunk!). So just be careful to eat something proper before drinking,
Reply 42
Original post by ArtGoblin
Vodka has more like 50 calories than 70, doesn't it? I've always thought it was 50 for a shot of any spirit?

I've managed to lose weight while continuing to drink the same amount as usual. One drunk night a week will not make that much difference overall as long as you don't overeat in the rest of the week. The main issue I have is trying not to eat when I get home drunk. I lose all motivation for the diet by that point and end up really regretting it in the morning.

Eating less throughout the day on the day you're drinking does work as you compensate for the alcohol calories and you need to drink less to get drunk. However, not eating very much before drinking is more likely to make you sick, which is a disgusting way pleases me as I know I haven't wasted a day of the diet. But when I go on diets I go slightly insane and its all I can ever think about (except when I'm drunk!). So just be careful to eat something proper before drinking,

Minimum 70 calories per shot. 1 unit=10mls alcohol=70calories. Anything extra in it makes more.
Original post by Slumpy
Minimum 70 calories per shot. 1 unit=10mls alcohol=70calories. Anything extra in it makes more.

This site says it's 52. I'm going with that!

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/logout/news_features/alcohol.htm
Reply 44
Original post by ArtGoblin

That site also says this:
1g = 7kcal
It then claims 1 measure of spirits is 52 calories(ie 7.5g of alcohol). Standard 25ml shot that gives only 30% strength for spirits. Clearly nonsense.
Original post by emilyteacake
I was always under the notion that vodka had not a lot of calories, so I'd smirk at my friends drinking wine whilst I thought I was fine with my double vodka and diet coke

But I've just found out that one shot of vodka is about 70 calories!
sometimes when i go out i can have about two triple vodka and cokes and maybe another glass! so that makes the equivalent of a bottle of wine! gggrrrr

Does anyone know how to stay social and go out drinking, without gaining weight?
it seems pointless eating healithy when I'll end up going out and drinking, there must be some low calorie drink

It's not the calories in the drink that make you gain weight, it's the alcohol stopping your liver from metabolising the food you eat.

It takes roughly 1 hour for your liver to break down an alcoholic drink (maybe more or maybe less depending on what drink and the more you drink the longer it will take, if you're having 5 or 6 drinks it will take hours), while the alcohol is in your body, your body recognises that alcohol is a poison so it becomes the priority to get it out so other things are put on hold. Your body can't go after the food because it now has to go after the toxin that is alcohol.

Alcohol suppresses the body's ability to burn body fat. The body has no storage capacity for alcohol like it does for carbohydrates and fats. Since alcohol must be detoxified as quickly as possible, its oxidation takes priority over that of other macronutrients. In other words, while the liver is busy metabolizing alcohol, the utilization of fats, carbohydrates, and protein has to be temporarily suppressed. The burning of fat is suppressed the most, because it's at the bottom of the oxidative hierarchy.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/601915

It's the reason you see people go on holiday and come back and they say they've put 10 pounds on, or over Christmas where they put weight on, it's not just the food, it's the alcohol stopping their body from metabolising it.

The way around it is to plan your eating around your alcohol consumption. The worst thing you can do is go out drinking and then get a takeaway on the way home, or have a big meal then go out drinking because the food is just gonna sit there in your stomach all night and then get packed on as fat.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sosidge
At least I would have spent my life doing what i like doing and not spending most of my days counting calories, working out at the gym and stressing over being fat, if you're going to live life like that I don't think there's even much point in living like that, sounds pretty sh*t if you ask me.

You're right, sod it. I'm going to skip the alcohol and go straight to heroin... you only live once right?

:rolleyes:
only get drunk once a week max - for health as well, have a healthy diet and plenty of exercise
Reply 48
If you're worrying about 70 calories then you probably have bigger problems.
Original post by kka25
No, she's going to swallow the whole egg carton, all 20 of them.

Since you know, she doesn't care what she eats :rolleyes:

Well I wouldn't say I monitor or "care" what I eat either but I have a perfectly balanced diet... Not everyone loves junk food and hates healthy food - it is possible to like the healthy food as well...

I do agree with your previous suggestion that their posts looked defensive, but then your posts look aggressive, so I guess that's hardly surprising.
Reply 50
For heaven's sake, two triple vodkas and coke is 600 calories at most, and it's not like you're drinking that every night.

The frenzied dancing may also be of some help.
Reply 51
Original post by Sosidge
Ahh its posts like these that make me so glad I can eat like a pig all day every day and go out getting drunk, drinking what i like and when i like and stay slim :biggrin:

You're gonna either be dead or look really awful in 20 years
Original post by Madmachine
You're gonna either be dead or look really awful in 20 years

or maybe not. that might be the person that eats well and exercises. that's often how life turns out.
Reply 53
Original post by Sosidge
At least I would have spent my life doing what i like doing and not spending most of my days counting calories, working out at the gym and stressing over being fat, if you're going to live life like that I don't think there's even much point in living like that, sounds pretty sh*t if you ask me.

Stop trying to make yourself feel better by trying to put other people down because you probably have weight issues yourself. Chill out, live a little and stop trying to put a dampener on other peoples lives. :smile:

If you just eat normally, keep fairly active and forget about weight you will be thin and still enjoy your life. Too many people acting as if being healthy = starvation + marathon running everyday. There's a big difference between trying to look like a model and keeping your doctor happy. If you were only allowed one car would you drive it like a madman and **** it up early or take care of the thing?
Reply 54
Original post by Mister Dead
or maybe not. that might be the person that eats well and exercises. that's often how life turns out.

Can't believe people are still churning out that "healthy people die early too" argument. Some smokers live to 100 too. Learn to think of things from a statistical viewpoint.
Original post by Madmachine
Can't believe people are still churning out that "healthy people die early too" argument. Some smokers live to 100 too. Learn to think of things from a statistical viewpoint.

right, like you did when you said he IS going to look crap or be dead. Nice stats.

You're a smug twit and i'm old enough to realise that whilst you can work hard to increase the chance you'll be healthy and look good, there's no guarentees.
i think a lot of people dont

first thing i noticed at uni is that the average girl looked a lot plumper (not that i'm complaining :sexface:)
Reply 57
Dear Lord...

who the **** cares how skinny you are?

strive to be HEALTHY.

It amazes and saddens me how someone can be preoccupied with their weight and image, and give such a lack of **** about their health that they'll happily waste empty calories on alcohol and probably forgo more nutritious intakes as a result, to keep that all-important calorie count down. URGH.
Original post by emilyteacake
I was always under the notion that vodka had not a lot of calories, so I'd smirk at my friends drinking wine whilst I thought I was fine with my double vodka and diet coke

But I've just found out that one shot of vodka is about 70 calories!
sometimes when i go out i can have about two triple vodka and cokes and maybe another glass! so that makes the equivalent of a bottle of wine! gggrrrr

Does anyone know how to stay social and go out drinking, without gaining weight?
it seems pointless eating healithy when I'll end up going out and drinking, there must be some low calorie drink

That doesn't sound like too many calories and you shouldn't be drinking so much alcohol on a regular basis.
Reply 59
Original post by Mister Dead
right, like you did when you said he IS going to look crap or be dead. Nice stats.

You're a smug twit and i'm old enough to realise that whilst you can work hard to increase the chance you'll be healthy and look good, there's no guarentees.

So if a doctor tells a guy he's going to die in 10 years if he keeps doing heroin he's a twit because there is a small chance that he won't? If a weather reporter says that it is going to rain tomorrow (because his computer said it was 75% likely) he is also a twit? Poor effort at being pedantic. Nothing is certain in statistics so if someone says something is going to happen it is always an assumption based on the stats.

What part of "statistically" don't you understand? I never said there were guarantees. I don't understand people like you. People like you see a healthy person die and they go "**** it it's all *******s leave it all to fate". Why can't you just accept that being healthy statistically raises your life expectancy and if not that your quality of life at least.

Quick Reply

Latest