The Student Room Group

Don't get stressed for exams - personal experience

UPDATE: Chemistry exams were quite easy.
Spanish exams were okay. I remembered the majority of vocab on every single page (friend tested me).
Didn't have too much to worry about - was panicking over nothing.

Lesson learnt: Don't stress out too much.
Don't procrastinate.

Thanks to all the helpful and nice people who commented on this thread.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd get off TSR and revise...
Get off here and get revising then !!! . . . I should to . . .
Reply 3
Oh and don't stay up really late.. Or you will just fall apart in the exam - Get a good night's sleep for definite!
Reply 4
I've already made notes for C3 and Spanish however. It's not a case that I'm 'starting' revision or that would be bad. I just haven't kept up with it for the last few days.
Apart from Maths I don't think I did any revision for my GCSEs more than a day in advance! For AS and A2s I wasn't much better - come to think of it I'm not even sure I read the books for AS level English, and fast forward 3 years I'm only just starting revision for my uni exams on Tuesday and Wednesday. Is this good for your health? Probably not. But cramming with that extra adrenaline works for a lot of people. I'd try and kick the habit as soon as possible as if you're not careful it becomes an issue by the time you get to uni, but believe me, you're not screwed!

Best thing to do is just relax and get working now.
Reply 6
Original post by revisionnightmare
Apart from Maths I don't think I did any revision for my GCSEs more than a day in advance! For AS and A2s I wasn't much better - come to think of it I'm not even sure I read the books for AS level English, and fast forward 3 years I'm only just starting revision for my uni exams on Tuesday and Wednesday. Is this good for your health? Probably not. But cramming with that extra adrenaline works for a lot of people. I'd try and kick the habit as soon as possible as if you're not careful it becomes an issue by the time you get to uni, but believe me, you're not screwed!

Best thing to do is just relax and get working now.

Thanks but I can't relax! I'm in tears and going crazy. All of that hard work previously for nothing. I even woke up early every single day even when I felt like sleeping more so I could do lots of studying but my plan failed! My A*s in chemistry and Spanish have just disappeared just like that. All the effort I put in since year 7 until year 11 - when it actually matters - all worthless because I couldn't be bothered to do any work in the days before.

I want to die. I want to kill myself!!! I am not lying now. Everything I've worked hard for has just gone :frown: :frown: :frown:

All that hardcore revision for controlled assessments worthless. All of those A*s in the controlled assessments for Spanish worthless. All of the revision for my chemistry modules worthless. All the work since year 8 just nothing. All that hard work worth nothing!!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Helppppp! How do I stop feeling suicidal over this?! I can't believe I have done such a thing!
Reply 8
You're being very harsh on yourself - at the end of the day it is an exam - You can retake it and there is more to life than an exam.

Stop beating yourself up over what you could have done and use the time to try and do something worthwile. I am sure you are better than you think, so try your hardest and hey if the exam goes badly think of something else :wink:
Original post by pollyrose
I have my chemistry 2, chemistry 3, spanish reading and listening exams tomorrow. My last exam was on Thursday in the afternoon so when I came back home I relaxed after working so hard for that exam and the previous exams so told myself that I would do a lot of revision the next day. So on Friday I did about 10 minutes and felt tired so went to sleep planning to have a '10 - 15 min nap' and it turns out I was so tired I had slept for ages and woke up on Saturday morning. I felt so confused and dis-orientated. So I did about 4 hours revision for the C2 exam and my mum told me to come relax downstairs with her and watch tv. I was planning to stay for about an hour and go back to revision but there were too many good shows on so I didn't return. Now it's Sunday and I've done about 3 hours of revision for chemistry 3.

I revised quite a lot for my chemistry 3 and Spanish exams earlier on. For example for Spanish I had already gone over 80 pages of the revision guide and for chemistry 3 I've already finished the syllabus and finished a 50 page revision booklet our teacher gave us.

However I haven't done the chemistry 3 past papers yet or the Spanish reading past papers or looked at the vocab lists in the textbook. I haven't gone over the vocal I did looked at previously much either. I need to go over forgotten answers of the C3 booklet too and do the C2 booklet.

I'm predicted an A* in both subjects and want an A*. I understand that it is all of my fault that I got myself into this mess and I solely have myself to blame. Understandably I'm panicking as my exams are tomorrow and I feel very unprepared. Can I still get this A*s and what should I focus on doing now? Do I still have time if I go to bed at 11pm? I have a good short term memory however,

Thanks.

Shut up. Get over yourself. This is GCSE, not A-levels which are more challenging. You don't 'want to die', you just want to attention seek. If you really cared about wasting time you wouldn't be on this site telling us about the time you've already wasted.
Reply 10
Original post by steviep14
You're being very harsh on yourself - at the end of the day it is an exam - You can retake it and there is more to life than an exam.

Stop beating yourself up over what you could have done and use the time to try and do something worthwile. I am sure you are better than you think, so try your hardest and hey if the exam goes badly think of something else :wink:

It's not that easy though! My academics are my life! If I don't do well in these exams I have let everyone and mostly myself down!
Original post by pollyrose
Thanks but I can't relax! I'm in tears and going crazy. All of that hard work previously for nothing. I even woke up early every single day even when I felt like sleeping more so I could do lots of studying but my plan failed! My A*s in chemistry and Spanish have just disappeared just like that. All the effort I put in since year 7 until year 11 - when it actually matters - all worthless because I couldn't be bothered to do any work in the days before.

I want to die. I want to kill myself!!! I am not lying now. Everything I've worked hard for has just gone :frown: :frown: :frown:

All that hardcore revision for controlled assessments worthless. All of those A*s in the controlled assessments for Spanish worthless. All of the revision for my chemistry modules worthless. All the work since year 8 just nothing. All that hard work worth nothing!!!!

Don't be daft. Three days of revision 'wasted' means that you can now go back to study feeling refreshed, and more motivated than ever to succeed. Plus, its only THREE days, you can't have forgotten EVERYTHIING.

I think you're just panicking over nothing to be honest :smile: don't freak out, it sounds like you've done a lot of revision already, and you just need to go back and recap everything YOU ALREADY KNOW :wink:
"everyone" ? - I am sorry but people should not be judging you on how clever you are. You try your best in things and if they don't go right people have no right to feel disappointed with you.

Sure you may be annoyed with yourself but you learn from these sort of things - If your academics are your life then please go and study now instead of crying.

At the end of the day we can't turn back time so use what time you have left to revise - I am off to revise now so maybe you should too. Good Luck!
Reply 13
I don't understand why you're on TSR. Get off it and start revising. Yes, you can still do it, what the hell are you doing here though?
Reply 14
Original post by Flyteryder
Shut up. Get over yourself. This is GCSE, not A-levels which are more challenging. You don't 'want to die', you just want to attention seek. If you really cared about wasting time you wouldn't be on this site telling us about the time you've already wasted.

I know this is posted in the wrong forum, but if you'd read the post you just quoted, you'd notice that the OP is in fact talking about A-levels.
dont't stay up late revising. get a good night's sleep and get up early for last minute revision before the exam.
Reply 16
Original post by najinaji
I know this is posted in the wrong forum, but if you'd read the post you just quoted, you'd notice that the OP is in fact talking about A-levels.

No, the OP is talking about GCSE's...
Poor girl, try to calm down! I'm sure you can still get the A*s. Have you done the exams, or are you assuming in advance? Because lots can come back to you in the heat of the moment. Can't you do a good three hours now and then have the evening off? And learn 50 words in Spanish/brush up on what you know? That'd give you confidence at least.

I wish people would stop telling hardworking people to get a life or that they're being melodramatic, it's not helpful or useful, you're not going to shock them into growing up in two minutes...you can probably imagine how they feel, just be nice. We're not even in our twenties, and this kind of attitude (feeling desperate when problems crop up) is practically encouraged...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by _Morsey_
No, the OP is talking about GCSE's...

Ahh, I saw 'C2' and 'C3' and didn't notice she was talking about Chemistry. My mistake.

Exam season has affected my brain yet again...
Reply 19
You want to die because you're having trouble revising? Seriously, if you can't cope with a few exams then I don't know how you're going to cope in the future, with real problems.
An hours worth of revision doesn't even come close to two years worth of hard work. Just do it in your stride - what's the point in revising if you're not in the mood? You won't take any of it in.

Quick Reply