Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Medicine offers 2012 AS results

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in Year 12, in the middle of my AS exams, and hope to apply to study Medicine next year.

I fear that my maths exam didn't go quite to plan, so I just wanted to see whether I'd still get a offer to one of the better universities with 4As (fingers crossed) and a B in maths.

Any experience of being in my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you got anything to show apart from predicted grades? Such as voluntary work etc.?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami')
    Have you got anything to show apart from predicted grades? Such as voluntary work etc.?
    Oh yeah, I volunteer in a disabled home, charity shop and primary school. Got work experience in various hospitals too. Grade 8 viola, Grade 2 piano, lifeguard, swimmer etc etc. It's just my grades I'm worried about :/
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QTpie118)
    Oh yeah, I volunteer in a disabled home, charity shop and primary school. Got work experience in various hospitals too. Grade 8 viola, Grade 2 piano, lifeguard, swimmer etc etc. It's just my grades I'm worried about :/
    Is the B for gcse or AS?

If it's AS then it's not so bad, concentrate on getting a good personal statement going and try hard for the UKCAT (and bmat later on if you're applying to any of the 4; oxbridge, ucl, imperial), get preparing for that.

If it's at gcse, then same applies but you'll need to consider uni minimum requirements.

Back on AS again, it also depends on your other 4 subjects, if you've got at least 2 sciences excluding maths then it shouldn't be too bad, well, I'm guessing you should at least have chem and bio considering this is for medicine so yea, not too bad overall especially with the grade 8 viola and your volunteering and work experience

If you're really worried about it, just call the unis when it comes to before decisions and after you have your results; no harm in asking.

Also, don't forget that gcse's probably play a bigger role than AS for most uni choices so look into that as well.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    Is the B for gcse or AS?

If it's AS then it's not so bad, concentrate on getting a good personal statement going and try hard for the UKCAT (and bmat later on if you're applying to any of the 4; oxbridge, ucl, imperial), get preparing for that.

If it's at gcse, then same applies but you'll need to consider uni minimum requirements.

Back on AS again, it also depends on your other 4 subjects, if you've got at least 2 sciences excluding maths then it shouldn't be too bad, well, I'm guessing you should at least have chem and bio considering this is for medicine so yea, not too bad overall especially with the grade 8 viola and your volunteering and work experience

If you're really worried about it, just call the unis when it comes to before decisions and after you have your results; no harm in asking.

Also, don't forget that gcse's probably play a bigger role than AS for most uni choices so look into that as well.
    The B is for AS. I got 11 A*s at GCSE.

Yeah, I've heard I need to prepare well in advance, so I'll to preparing for that and writing my personal statement over summer.

I take Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Spanish and Critica Thinking now at AS and dropping Crit. Thinking next year.

I will call actually, that's a good idea; thanks

Thank you very much for your help, it's so useful
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The B is for AS. I got 11 A*s at GCSE.

Yeah, I've heard I need to prepare well in advance, so I'll to preparing for that and writing my personal statement over summer.

I take Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Spanish and Critica Thinking now at AS and dropping Crit. Thinking next year.

I will call actually, that's a good idea; thanks

Thank you very much for your help, it's so useful
    No problem.

Wow, yea, you're gcse's are very good, shouldn't have much of a problem so long as personal statement and ukcat (and bmat) go well.

Your non-academics sound sorted, emphasis on personal statement and ukcat

Also, pick unis tailoring to your strengths.

Cambridge look at AS ums and predicted grades more for example.

But Oxford look at your gcses and the bmat although they expect high scores for the bmat.

So good luck with whatever you choose
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why is this in 'Fashion and Beauty'? O.o
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Long story..I only recently started to use this...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    No problem.

Wow, yea, you're gcse's are very good, shouldn't have much of a problem so long as personal statement and ukcat (and bmat) go well.

Your non-academics sound sorted, emphasis on personal statement and ukcat

Also, pick unis tailoring to your strengths.

Cambridge look at AS ums and predicted grades more for example.

But Oxford look at your gcses and the bmat although they expect high scores for the bmat.

So good luck with whatever you choose
    I think I'd be more suited to Oxford in that case.

Thank you, you've given me exactly what I needed
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd be more suited to Oxford in that case.

Thank you, you've given me exactly what I needed
    No problem

Oh, I'd also like to mention that the bmat is a bit of a 'gamble' in itself because you don't actually sit the exam until after you apply to the unis, whereas with the ukcat, you get your results and so have an idea of where to apply, so bear that in mind as well.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.