The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

History's harder
Reply 81
Original post by PrecieuxAaliyah
Any predicted questions for the essay's (40 marks) for the paper on the Monday ? (21st)

I think Judiciary and Parliament because the other 2 were section B in January. But then again I doubt that judiciary will be on its checks against parliament as that was the 25 marker in Jan.

Yet I am hoping that Edexcel changes the trend and asks a question about constitutional reform or something.
Reply 82

EXAMPLE 2010 freezing of terror suspects’ assets.
Can you explain that in detail please a bit confused. It is your example for judicial review for the Judicial essays.
Reply 83
Original post by baggyyo
EXAMPLE 2010 freezing of terror suspects’ assets.
Can you explain that in detail please a bit confused. It is your example for judicial review for the Judicial essays.

It's the case where the UK Supreme Court overruled a decision by the state. The Supreme Court ruled that the government did not have the legal power to freeze the assets of suspected terrorists. This then led to the government having to pass special legislation to give them that power.
Reply 84
Original post by Kardy
It's the case where the UK Supreme Court overruled a decision by the state. The Supreme Court ruled that the government did not have the legal power to freeze the assets of suspected terrorists. This then led to the government having to pass special legislation to give them that power.

So it is like the Belmarsh case as the executive got over it.
Thanks again! :smile:

Do you think that a judiciary 40 mark is highly likely?
Reply 85
Original post by baggyyo
So it is like the Belmarsh case as the executive got over it.
Thanks again! :smile:

Do you think that a judiciary 40 mark is highly likely?

No idea, just revising it all. :biggrin:
Reply 86
Original post by Kardy
No idea, just revising it all. :biggrin:

haha yeah I am too, just checking what you think because that is probably my weakest. :biggrin:
Reply 87
Considering unit 1 in january was straightforward, and the unit 2 jan paper was quite hard. Then, as the unit 1 june paper was considered a trickier one, I'm hoping the unit 2 june paper is easy to compensate.
Reply 88
Is there anything else I need to learn, other than the following:

For/Against Codified Constitution/Constitution/Entrechment

Devolution/HRA/HOL Reforms/FOI/Mayors

Functions of Parl

How to hold Gov to account/Parl dominates Gov

Strengths/Weaknesses of Commons/Lords

Coalition Government Policies/Reform since 2010

Role of PM/Limitations/Increase in power

Judicial Independence/Neutrality

Political role of Judges/Limitations/Interaction with Gov

Anything else?
You need to cover cabinet as well: it's role, how ministers are appointed, how far the PM controls it, and its current status :smile:
I really hope PM and Cabinet come up for a 40 marker as I am far more confident on that topic. Constitution or Judiciary for section A.

I feel especially nervous because I will be doing the exam in the morning, before everyone else in my politics class :frown:

Best of luck everyone!

Oh and I found this really useful revision guide; apparently it costs £50!

http://getrevising.co.uk/files/documents/edexcel_politics_unit_1_plus_2_amazingly_helpful_plus_detailed/Edexcel AS Politics ExamBuster 2011 (3) (1).pdf
Original post by Comeheretellme
I really hope PM and Cabinet come up for a 40 marker as I am far more confident on that topic. Constitution or Judiciary for section A.

I feel especially nervous because I will be doing the exam in the morning, before everyone else in my politics class :frown:

Best of luck everyone!

Oh and I found this really useful revision guide; apparently it costs £50!

http://getrevising.co.uk/files/documents/edexcel_politics_unit_1_plus_2_amazingly_helpful_plus_detailed/Edexcel AS Politics ExamBuster 2011 (3) (1).pdf

I doubt it as this was the 40mark question in January....

Are UK prime ministers as powerful as is sometimes claimed? (40 marks)
Reply 92
can anyone tell me an MP who is part of a PG?
I've been looking at the patterns since this specification came about...

These are the topics for the 40 markers have came up..

January / June
2009: Judiciary - Constitution
2010: Constitution-PM Judiciary-Parliament
2011: Constitution-Judiciary Parliament-Prime Minister
2012: Prime Minister-Constitution

Maybe you've spotted the pattern.

But if not, it's clear that every year the the topics only come up once a year on each paper for the 40 mark questions.

So from following the pattern the last couple years, you could guess:

Source questions: PM/Constitution
40 Mark Questions: Parliament/Judiciary

But my luck, I'll probably be wrong. So just take this as a pinch of salt. :wink:
Original post by Homeboy Hotel
I've been looking at the patterns since this specification came about...

These are the topics for the 40 markers have came up..

January / June
2009: Judiciary - Constitution
2010: Constitution-PM Judiciary-Parliament
2011: Constitution-Judiciary Parliament-Prime Minister
2012: Prime Minister-Constitution

Maybe you've spotted the pattern.

But if not, it's clear that every year the the topics only come up once a year on each paper for the 40 mark questions.

So from following the pattern the last couple years, you could guess:

Source questions: PM/Constitution
40 Mark Questions: Parliament/Judiciary

But my luck, I'll probably be wrong. So just take this as a pinch of salt. :wink:

Yup, seems about right. Constitution hasn't been a source question for a while and they never seem to group the constitution and Parliament together.
I haven't been able to warm to the judiciary topic at all, so I've risked it like Unit 1 and opted not to revise it. It always seems to be an unpopular question anyway.

So if that is indeed the pattern, that means I'm going to have to prey Parliament is a nice question?!
I really need Parliament and Cabinet not to be together. Chances of it happening? I hope the above prediction is right
^haha you're risking it? I've learnt 2
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lollage123
^haha you're risking it? I've learnt 2

Are you serious?! What would you do if both the topics you revised were both source or essay questions?!
I'm not really good with Parliament, I was wondering if anyone could help me think of ideas on how to approach the following questions:

- To what extent does the executive control Parliament? (40)
- Describe the role of parliamentary committees and assess their effectiveness (40)
Reply 99
Original post by Cesar Lecat
Yup, seems about right. Constitution hasn't been a source question for a while and they never seem to group the constitution and Parliament together.

This means that the the PM, Judiciary and Parliament have all be in the source an essay and equal amount of times ( 3 in each). So surely, as the Constitution has only been in the sources twice it'll be in there tomorrow?

Latest

Trending

Trending