The Student Room Group

Help!!AQA gcse english literature exam unit 1!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by techno836
well poetry is unseen and im not doin that until next year but im doing blood brothers now for WJEC literature Unit 2

is the exam format the same ?? an extract and then a theme/character question ??

yeh i think that is what we get on blood brothers. i really like the play i just find it really hard to write about (my teacher is not good at all :L )
i hate to scare most of yous but for an A* you can only drop around 6 marks in the whole paper ... and its the same for UNIT 2 ( i have this on thusday.. 'lord of the flies' and' blood brothers' ) im doing unit 1 next year but i did OMAM for a controlled assessment :-)

if i were doing this exam i would pray that crooks came up :rolleyes:

I'm glad to correct you but you could've dropped 15 marks last year for an A* in AQA so that's good :cool:
Original post by cboylan10
yeh i think that is what we get on blood brothers. i really like the play i just find it really hard to write about (my teacher is not good at all :L )

ugh ( im poorly and have to revise for my spanish listening exam tomorrow :frown: ) but i will try :biggrin:

umm for the extract question it will usually be how it builds tension/drama.. but could possible how one character dominates the scene; the best way to answer these are actually simular you MUST focus on dramatic devices (Narrator, Dramatic Irony, MUSIC, stage directions, etc ) however you must continually link it to the question AND say HOW it effects the audience ( i cant stress these points enough :L )......... an added point but not always a requirement is to see if you can link it to context and say why the audience could relate to that scene :biggrin:

This deffo the harder part to explain
well for the theme/character question it is vitally important that you stay focused and always the answer the question umm try to link your answer fluently either chronologically or from point to point :-) :/

hope this helps slightly :-)
Original post by Dandaman9999
I'm glad to correct you but you could've dropped 15 marks last year for an A* in AQA so that's good :cool:

damn thats it i hate WJEC now -.- we need 54/60 :frown:
Reply 44
omggg! someone please hellpp mee!!
I dont get this new specification?
Im in alevel, but have to do this gcse english literature:frown:,
Can anyone tell me how to asnwer section B for unit 1?
do i have to write 2 separate essays? or just one big essay for the combined section a and b?
im doin mice and men for that..
thanks in advance
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
ugh ( im poorly and have to revise for my spanish listening exam tomorrow :frown: ) but i will try :biggrin:

umm for the extract question it will usually be how it builds tension/drama.. but could possible how one character dominates the scene; the best way to answer these are actually simular you MUST focus on dramatic devices (Narrator, Dramatic Irony, MUSIC, stage directions, etc ) however you must continually link it to the question AND say HOW it effects the audience ( i cant stress these points enough :L )......... an added point but not always a requirement is to see if you can link it to context and say why the audience could relate to that scene :biggrin:

This deffo the harder part to explain
well for the theme/character question it is vitally important that you stay focused and always the answer the question umm try to link your answer fluently either chronologically or from point to point :-) :/

hope this helps slightly :-)

ive spanish too tomorrow :smile: :L
thanks i understand what i ave to better now
thanks again :smile:
damn thats it i hate WJEC now -.- we need 54/60 :frown:

Haha, yeah, but apparently last years paper for AQA was the hardest of the lot so I can pretty much guarantee higher grade boundaries on Tuesday :tongue:
Haha, yeah, but apparently last years paper for AQA was the hardest of the lot so I can pretty much guarantee higher grade boundaries on Tuesday :tongue:

i still hate WJEC :L and i hate my school i do unit 1 next year and unit 2 this year -.- ......
i still hate WJEC :L and i hate my school i do unit 1 next year and unit 2 this year -.- ......

Are you in year 10 then? And I can't judge on WJEC because I don't have them for any subject :tongue:
Are you in year 10 then? And I can't judge on WJEC because I don't have them for any subject :tongue:

yeah i am :L

my techer says WJEC is 'the easy board'

but some others on here say its harder so i dunno :L
yeah i am :L

my techer says WJEC is 'the easy board'

but some others on here say its harder so i dunno :L

In our school people who take Latin GCSE have WJEC and claim it's quite easy so :L but they took Latin so they are extremely clever haha :smile:
In our school people who take Latin GCSE have WJEC and claim it's quite easy so :L but they took Latin so they are extremely clever haha :smile:

Makes sense :-) :L
Reply 52
Anybody doing OMAM closed book? I'm with the delightful CCEA board, my exam's on Tuesday.
Reply 53
Original post by sophieking
I'm doing Relationships poetry aswell inn the Moon On The Tides anthology!
I'm more worried for An Inspector Calls and Of Mice And Men rather than the poetry though :frown:

Hi~ Same here! I'm doing the Relationships poetry (from the Moon On The Tides Anthology) and OMAM and An Inspector Calls.

I found that one way of revising the An Inspector Calls was write out what themes might come up in the question. E.g. power, tension, different ideological view points, Dramatic Irony used, methods used to layout the play etc. For the characters, write down what each of them feels when their secrets were revealed. What led up to their confession that might be hinted before.
For OMAM, the b question- just list a bunch of contexts points and they might ask you to link it to a character. So do the same with AIC and bullet point the characters' characteristics and why they are so in their society.

Poetry however, worries me more because it's memorising the notes that are done in class (for me anyway). There's really no other way of revising poetry and there's so much of them you don't know which one'll come up!

Good luck anyway to everyone's exams! :smile:
i hate to scare most of yous but for an A* you can only drop around 6 marks in the whole paper ... and its the same for UNIT 2 ( i have this on thusday.. 'lord of the flies' and' blood brothers' ) im doing unit 1 next year but i did OMAM for a controlled assessment :-)

if i were doing this exam i would pray that crooks came up :rolleyes:

LIES! On AQA you need 45 out of 60 for an A* and 36 for an A: http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-UNIT-GDE-BOUND-JUNE11.PDF
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
LIES! On AQA you need 45 out of 60 for an A* and 36 for an A: http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-UNIT-GDE-BOUND-JUNE11.PDF

bloody hell people have been telling me lower and lower but yet WJEC is still 54/60 -.-
Reply 56
For OMAM
My teacher Seems to think curleys wife or slim will come up as crooks was in the mock and George and lennie have been in lots of the practise questions. Omg, i would die if someone like carlson came up :/
Original post by IsabelAmy
For OMAM
My teacher Seems to think curleys wife or slim will come up as crooks was in the mock and George and lennie have been in lots of the practise questions. Omg, i would die if someone like carlson came up :/

That'd be horrible if Carlso came in, but you could write about how he killed the dog
Reply 58
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
That'd be horrible if Carlso came in, but you could write about how he killed the dog

Yeah, i suppose. Hoping they wont be that mean :smile:
Hello! I'm doing this exam tomorrow too and most of the English dept. at my school are convinced that the OMAM question will either be about a theme or Curley's Wife.

I've done lots of revision for it but I'm still worried about not finishing on time - any tips for staying within time limits? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending