The Student Room Group

OCR Economics F585 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Bwob
^ why would you draw a tariff diagram, if the question asks about a quota?

because doesn't it have the same effect? Qouta/ tarrif diagram same thing?
I just call it tariff diagram. Although I would explicitly be referring to qoutas.
Original post by NewCrack
because doesn't it have the same effect? Qouta/ tarrif diagram same thing?
I just call it tariff diagram. Although I would explicitly be referring to qoutas.

A tariff would limit the price level, a quota would limit the quantity.
Would anyone be able to explain why inflation in China may have more advantages than disadvantages? Don't have my APT/Extracts on me, but I'm sure it said somewhere about this.

I don't see how there are more PRO's - China relies on low labour costs etc. to attract FDI, so surely a rise in inflation -> wage price spiral -> higher LC -> less competitive abroad is not what China want?

Also, is it right to say China have a comparative advantage in cheap labour? Would it be wrong to say they have a comparative advantage in Rare earths too - because 'rare earths' aren't actually rare and can therefore be extracted by other countries. It's only the efficiency of the extraction which prevents countries from mining their own.

Cheers
Reply 263
Original post by Placebo101
A tariff would limit the price level, a quota would limit the quantity.

oh
Reply 264
I actually find this module quite interesting, despite the fact that there is a lot to learn its not too difficult. Not sure if anyone else watched this but it was on bbc2 last week, a good programme about the labour battle between the UK and China:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01hzgkv/The_Town_Taking_on_China_Episode_2/

Also I've been going through the stimulus and looked at extract 4, any suggestions for the 20 marker and how to structure it? Any help is appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 265
I also found this on the Economist website, relating to extract 2:
http://www.economist.com/node/21553041 :tongue:
Do we need to memorise the 3 models of development? e.g the Lewis model or is that insignificant?
Reply 267
Original post by Hapiness-
Do we need to memorise the 3 models of development? e.g the Lewis model or is that insignificant?

I haven't seen the Lewis model in the OCR textbook. What are the other two models you mention?
Original post by Groat
I haven't seen the Lewis model in the OCR textbook. What are the other two models you mention?

Lewis 2 sector model,Rostow and stages of production.
Oh well its probably not on the specification then if its not in the textbook.
Reply 269
Anyone help me with
'discuss the extent to which the emerging dispute over chinas rare earths export ban is likely to lead to sustainable development in china.'
Any comments would be useful
Thinking maybe starting the essay talking about quotas a bit but not sure.
Reply 270
Original post by Clare1994
Anyone help me with
'discuss the extent to which the emerging dispute over chinas rare earths export ban is likely to lead to sustainable development in china.'
Any comments would be useful
Thinking maybe starting the essay talking about quotas a bit but not sure.

Just my opinion, but I can't really see this being a question. There is no direct link between placing a quota on rare earths and sustainable development.

The quota will simply slow down resource depletion. Beyond that, it is up to Chinese government to focus on sustainable development.
Awww man I would be bashing this revision thread and revising economics in general if I didn't have to focus so much on my maths exams. I think I will have to learn everything in a half week before the exam, only need 40% but want 80% for the star. Feels bad! Maths should be worth more UCAS since you do more exams lol
Reply 272
Original post by Groat
Just my opinion, but I can't really see this being a question. There is no direct link between placing a quota on rare earths and sustainable development.

The quota will simply slow down resource depletion. Beyond that, it is up to Chinese government to focus on sustainable development.

But it's not about quotas? It's about them banning the export all together of some rare earths in 2015...
Reply 273
But it's not about quotas? It's about them banning the export all together of some rare earths in 2015...

Which is effectively a quota. That doesn't answer the question on how restricting exports will lead to sustainable decelopment.
Reply 274
Original post by Groat
Which is effectively a quota. That doesn't answer the question on how restricting exports will lead to sustainable decelopment.

well it does because if you restrict it then it helps to lower pollution which affects the environmental objectives of sustainable development.
Plus the ban could be said to lower their chances of sustainable development as they'll be hogging the resources with could therefore infact lead to a increase in environmental damage and lowering their chances of sustainable development.
Also as they're non-renewable the resources won't be there for those who may need them in the future.
Reply 275
well it does because if you restrict it then it helps to lower pollution which affects the environmental objectives of sustainable development.
Plus the ban could be said to lower their chances of sustainable development as they'll be hogging the resources with could therefore infact lead to a increase in environmental damage and lowering their chances of sustainable development.
Also as they're non-renewable the resources won't be there for those who may need them in the future.

Hmm. It still doesn't seem like a direct link in my opinion - the dispute will lead to less depletion of rare earths, but won't affect any other resources which are being drained. The effect on sustainable development will be marginal unless China start to focus on investing in health, education, etc.

I'm not saying your points are invalid, it just seems to me that this question has very little analysis and all the points are evaluative.
Reply 276
Original post by Groat
Hmm. It still doesn't seem like a direct link in my opinion - the dispute will lead to less depletion of rare earths, but won't affect any other resources which are being drained. The effect on sustainable development will be marginal unless China start to focus on investing in health, education, etc.

I'm not saying your points are invalid, it just seems to me that this question has very little analysis and all the points are evaluative.

Guess it depends on how you look at it although it's a good point that other factors will need to be paid attention to rather than just the effect of the use of rare earths but it can still play a part in them trying to achieve sustainable development. But guess it's all these kinda points that need to be put into a essay and be evaluated can't just ignore points you don't necessarily agree with lol
Reply 277
Guess it depends on how you look at it although it's a good point that other factors will need to be paid attention to rather than just the effect of the use of rare earths but it can still play a part in them trying to achieve sustainable development. But guess it's all these kinda points that need to be put into a essay and be evaluated can't just ignore points you don't necessarily agree with lol

Of course, I love writing about things I disagree with. :colondollar:

But normally with the twenty mark questions, OCR set an essay which has an obvious mechanism. For example with Discuss the view that greater openness to international trade is the key to promoting economic and human development. there is a clear mechanism between trade and economic development, with the evaluative points revolving around whether openness is the key to promoting it.
Reply 278
Original post by Groat
Of course, I love writing about things I disagree with. :colondollar:

But normally with the twenty mark questions, OCR set an essay which has an obvious mechanism. For example with Discuss the view that greater openness to international trade is the key to promoting economic and human development. there is a clear mechanism between trade and economic development, with the evaluative points revolving around whether openness is the key to promoting it.

Oh IDK! I just do what my teacher says! haha
Two links for a teacher summary of the pre-release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6NAjPXv5-A&feature=g-upl [Intro]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-BNv3VSSVY&feature=g-upl [Extract 1]

Thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest