The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iqbal007
Just cancel it, cos the ebuyer one will save you money, I bought the 690 II version a month ago.

Well if the 6870 can be found under 120, then you might.

Is there much of a difference between the two? I prefer the enforcer personally just for the looks
Original post by Chow mein
Is there much of a difference between the two? I prefer the enforcer personally just for the looks

Oh i'm more talking about the bundle and it's price, it's makes more sense especially with coolmaster cases and it's 650 watt posu which is 80plus certified.
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new computer this year.
I don't need anything fancy, just want to play online browser games such as Runescape with a good fps. Also, I need to be able to use it for school work.

Looking at spending around £400, but wouldn't mind saving a bit more.

Any recommendations? I suck at computers :/

Thanks, Deano.
Oh i'm more talking about the bundle and it's price, it's makes more sense especially with coolmaster cases and it's 650 watt posu which is 80plus certified.

Sorry I meant between the 690 and the enforcer!

Also is found a xfx 6870 for under £120, the double fan is the same price as normal though? Does double fan have any drawbacks?
To free up the Tech Society thread - I'm going to quote you here:

Original post by RipperRoo
Well I'm liking the look of this or this.

Any motherboard advice/recommendations? This seems all right and is recommended.

I'll take this over to that computer building thread actually rather than spam the **** out of this one :P.

Because of the 2500k coming up in price £20 or so I couldn't recommend it over the 3570k now, you might as well go Ivy Bridge now that they're essentially the same price.

Also, this motherboard is native Ivy Bridge as well as having PCIe 3.0:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z77a-g43-intel-z77-s-1155-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx

Oh, and cheaper :tongue:

Also; sign up to AV Forums if you're not already - once you've signed up for 14 days you get free delivery at Scan :smile:
Original post by hassi94
To free up the Tech Society thread - I'm going to quote you here:

Because of the 2500k coming up in price £20 or so I couldn't recommend it over the 3570k now, you might as well go Ivy Bridge now that they're essentially the same price.

Also, this motherboard is native Ivy Bridge as well as having PCIe 3.0:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z77a-g43-intel-z77-s-1155-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx

Oh, and cheaper :tongue:

Also; sign up to AV Forums if you're not already - once you've signed up for 14 days you get free delivery at Scan :smile:

Ah right okay. A couple of reviews I've read seem to say the same about the 3570K and 2500K.
Original post by Chow mein
Sorry I meant between the 690 and the enforcer!

Also is found a xfx 6870 for under £120, the double fan is the same price as normal though? Does double fan have any drawbacks?

I went for the enforcer due to the front panel USB 3.0. Looks pretty cool too, it's very sturdy and the tool-less system seems great (I haven't actually used mine yet so I can't tell you for sure :tongue: There are plenty of reviews on Ebuyer - just check the case on its own rather than the bundle). Though there's very little between the two.

Double fan doesn't have any drawbacks - will run a tad cooler looking at reviews (and I really do mean a tad - barely anything in it).

Check here to see some info on graphics cards warranties.

Looks good, you might consider this case/PSU combo for £40 cheaper (okay not much in the long run but it's not like you're cutting down on quality to get it).

Maybe consider a 120GB ssd for £65 here?

EDIT: Wow just saw how much the momentus-xt costs. Definitely not worth an extra £50 for 8GB of SSD when you can get 120GB for £65!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hassi94
Looks good, you might consider this case/PSU combo for £40 cheaper (okay not much in the long run but it's not like you're cutting down on quality to get it).

Maybe consider a 120GB ssd for £65 here?

EDIT: Wow just saw how much the momentus-xt costs. Definitely not worth an extra £50 for 8GB of SSD when you can get 120GB for £65!

Well I chose the case I did because it's supposed to be really quiet. I'm sick of how loud my PC is at the moment.

Would you definitely recommend SSD + HDD over just a HDD?
Well I chose the case I did because it's supposed to be really quiet. I'm sick of how loud my PC is at the moment.

That's fair enough but the case I linked is meant to be extremely cool and quiet too. If you want a quiet system you'll probably want an aftermarket cooler for your CPU (though I don't know how loud the 3570k is with stock cooling - stock's usually fairly loud is all).

And I can't recommend from personal experience (I'm yet to build my new PC, the one I'm using right now is excruciatingly outdated :tongue:), but I hear amazingly positive things about them and how much they improve general usage speed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hassi94
I went for the enforcer due to the front panel USB 3.0. Looks pretty cool too, it's very sturdy and the tool-less system seems great (I haven't actually used mine yet so I can't tell you for sure :tongue: There are plenty of reviews on Ebuyer - just check the case on its own rather than the bundle). Though there's very little between the two.

Double fan doesn't have any drawbacks - will run a tad cooler looking at reviews (and I really do mean a tad - barely anything in it).

Check here to see some info on graphics cards warranties.

Hmmmm bit more expensive but the white 690 II is rather sexy.
Reply 6952

The R3 is a very nice case, and very quiet. I've just bought the same one you've got to replace my Antec 300. :biggrin: But I haven't swapped everything over yet. It's probably the best of the quiet cases. They're cool enough, but not the coolest.

I would definitely get separate SSD and HDD. I'd also get the Crucial 256GB SSD for £155 right now. Then just get a big HDD later when you've got more money.

I'd also definitely get an aftermarket cooler. The Gelid Tranquillo is very quiet and is one of the best coolers in that price range. The next best coolers will have you spending £50 or more for any real benefit.

Rest looks pretty good I think. I don't know much about motherboards. One thing to consider is if the pci slots will support proper crossfire. I think you want it to have two slots that run 8x and 8x when in crossfire... I actually can't remember exactly about that.
Original post by SMed
The R3 is a very nice case, and very quiet. I've just bought the same one you've got to replace my Antec 300. :biggrin: But I haven't swapped everything over yet. It's probably the best of the quiet cases. They're cool enough, but not the coolest.

I would definitely get separate SSD and HDD. I'd also get the Crucial 256GB SSD for £155 right now. Then just get a big HDD later when you've got more money.

I'd also definitely get an aftermarket cooler. The Gelid Tranquillo is very quiet and is one of the best coolers in that price range. The next best coolers will have you spending £50 or more for any real benefit.

Rest looks pretty good I think. I don't know much about motherboards. One thing to consider is if the pci slots will support proper crossfire. I think you want it to have two slots that run 8x and 8x when in crossfire... I actually can't remember exactly about that.

I think I'm going to go for this SSD (has nice read/write times) and get this HDD. Do you just install the software you use most on the SSD or something?
Reply 6954
High internet use doesn't affect the laptop in all honesty that much apart from a good wireless system and being able handle loads of tabs in a browser.
For gaming, you'll need more because these days all the laptops tend to come with a built in graphics card.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/nspire2450-blackedition.html?th=g
Novatech nSpire 2450 - Black Edition - 15.6" Intel i5 2450M Mobile Processor - 4GB DDR3 Memory - 500GB SATA Hard Drive - DVD Writer - NVIDIA GT 555 Mobile

It's £570 without an operating software, the next level up is £680 with a better processor, more ram and a faster hard drive.

To be honest that's a bit out of my price range, my budget is more like up to £400, thanks tho :smile:
Basically It would be nice to know how to tell before buying what's a processor and graphics card, I'm fine with knowing the rest :smile:
Reply 6955
How much of an advantage is having more than 4 GB of ram ? or is 4 GB plenty ?
Reply 6956
I think I'm going to go for this SSD (has nice read/write times) and get this HDD. Do you just install the software you use most on the SSD or something?

I wouldn't. Those drives have the dodgy sandforce controllers which are ****. Not reliable. The Crucial ones have the better more reliable controller, can't remember the name now.

But read/write times aren't the impressive thing with SSDs apart from just benchmarking. It's the access times that make them worthwhile. Makes everything open and pop up instantly. You won't detect any difference in read/write times between most SSDs. It's worth paying for reliability. Have a look around, Crucials are the most recommended SSDs - the SSDs of choice if you will.
Reply 6957
Oh and you can get the 'green' 5400 2TB drives for £70-80. I'd rather get those to go along with an SSD as the 5400 drives are quieter and more efficient. It's just for storage, you won't detect any speed differences between a slower HDD and a faster HDD.

Definitely wouldn't go with the agility 3. Yes reviews are good but that's because people always review soon after purchase. Googling will find many users with problems. Also, read/write makes very little difference with SSDs. Get the Crucial M4 or SanDisk (personally I'd go with the crucial M4 but I hear good things about the sandisk's reliability too).

If you can spare the money it might be worth paying the extra for a 256GB - it's £155 at the moment :smile: There might not be any point getting a 7200RPM hard drive since you'll only be using it for storage. 5400 or the 5900 eco drives will work fine (and come in 2tb variants at quite a cheap price).

EDIT: SMed beat me to basically everything I said there :getmecoat:
(edited 11 years ago)
I just bought: http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/bargain-fast-computer/102777845

Aside from the quite ridiculous 17-year-old boy-racergamer case, I think it's pretty decent for £150. I'll whack in a ATI HD 6850 or 6870 at some point and that should do me as a fairly inexpensive solution to my need of a PC that'll play Diablo 3. The idea of a 360 release it just wrong IMO. Diablo has always been about breaking left mouse buttons. :yep:

Latest