Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

The Triune God?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Most Christians today believe that God is Triune. For Christians, that does not mean that we believe in 3 gods, no. It means however that we believe God relates to humankind in 3 "persons" or aspects/ways.

Triune does not equal Three.
    Triune = three in One.

The Trinity doctrine is merely a means of attempting to understand the nature of God and how He relates to humans.
    Christians believe God relates to people through His Spirit, mentioned from Genesis 1:2 and throughout the Tanakh, as well as throughout the New Testament. Christians believe that God also relates to people as the Father, which is a fulfillment of the Messianic promised in 2 Samuel 7, 1 Chronicles 17, Psalm 2, and Psalm 89. Christians believe that God relates to us through the Son of God, also prophesied/promised to King David concerning the Messiah, accounted in the above references.

As a human, I personally believe I am triune. Now, that doesn't believe that I think I am 3 people no lol! I do believe however that I exist in 3 "parts" that are attached to each other in a way I don't fully understand.

I believe I am a
    1. body - which can be seen
    2. spirit - which can't be seen but is attached to my body until I die
    3. soul - which i believe is attached to my spirit

I am not just a body. I am not just a spirit. I am not just a soul. I am all three in one being: a human being.

So, for this reason, it does not bother me at all that most Christians, including myself, believe that God is Triune, since I believe I am triune as well. Now, God is not a human, though most Christians, including me, believe that God came to earth in human form through Jesus, but most Christians do understand that God is the One and Only God, not three gods or four gods or 100 gods...

Jesus, a Jewish man who claimed to fulfill the Law (that God gave to the children of Israel) believed in the One and Only God, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and quoted extensively from the Tanakh. In Acts, it is obvious that Jesus' apostles did not teach that one has to believe that God is Triune in order to follow Jesus. If one studies the first sermon Peter, one of the apostles Jesus chose who walked and talked with Jesus, preached, he did not mention "Trinity" or "Triune" anywhere. Rather, he emphasized what Jesus did. However, Christians today believe that God is Triune because that's how we understand the different ways God relates to people: as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

If you have any polite questions or comments, the Trinity doctrine and why most Christians believe that God is Triune would be an interesting topic for discussion, so let us discuss.

Peace and God bless you

Acts 2 - http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...02&version=NIV
    (I boldened some.)

"14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. 15 These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning! 16 No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

17 “‘In the last days, God says,
    I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
    Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
    your young men will see visions,
    your old men will dream dreams.
    18 Even on my servants, both men and women,
    I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
    and they will prophesy.
    19 I will show wonders in the heavens above
    and signs on the earth below,
    blood and fire and billows of smoke.
    20 The sun will be turned to darkness
    and the moon to blood
    before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.
    21 And everyone who calls
    on the name of the Lord will be saved.’[Joel 2:28-32] (Joel 3 in the Tanakh)

22 “Fellow Israelites, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. 23 This man was handed over to you by God’s deliberate plan and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men,[Or of those not having the law (that is, Gentiles)] put him to death by nailing him to the cross. 24 But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him. 25 David said about him:

“‘I saw the Lord always before me.
    Because he is at my right hand,
    I will not be shaken.
    26 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
    my body also will rest in hope,
    27 because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
    you will not let your holy one see decay.
    28 You have made known to me the paths of life;
    you will fill me with joy in your presence.’[Psalm 16:8-11 (see Septuagint)]

29 “Fellow Israelites, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day. 30 But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. 31 Seeing what was to come, he spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, that he was not abandoned to the realm of the dead, nor did his body see decay. 32 God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of it. 33 Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear. 34 For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said,

“‘The Lord said to my Lord:
    “Sit at my right hand
    35 until I make your enemies
    a footstool for your feet.”’[Psalm 110:1]

36 “Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.”

37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off —for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

40 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” 41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day."
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christianlady)
    As a human, I personally believe I am triune. Now, that doesn't believe that I think I am 3 people no lol! I do believe however that I exist in 3 "parts" that are attached to each other in a way I don't fully understand.

I believe I am a
    1. body - which can be seen
    2. spirit - which can't be seen but is attached to my body until I die
    3. soul - which i believe is attached to my spirit

I am not just a body. I am not just a spirit. I am not just a soul. I am all three in one being: a human being.

So, for this reason, it does not bother me at all that most Christians, including myself, believe that God is Triune, since I believe I am triune as well.
    Christians I have spoken to generally don't believe that God comes in three "parts", as you have described above. They do not say that Jesus is "a part of God" or "a component of God", or "1/3 of the team known as God". Rather they say that Jesus is God, or even that Jesus is fully God, as I have often heard as well.

It's easy to understand that can be made up of three separate parts e.g a suit can be made up of trousers, a waistcoat and a blazer. That's not what people are arguing.
    The reason people take issue with the Trinity is because we're told that three different things actually are all the same thing (rather than all parts of the same thing).

So this is a false analogy really.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've read enough of your rubbish threads now Christianlady. I have decided I'm going to fight back in the only way I know how; sinning.

For every one of your threads I read I shall sin hard and long, so much so that any evangelizing effect you might have will be counteracted.

Now if you'll excuse me - and even if you won't - I have a Golden Calf to polish.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Christians I have spoken to generally don't believe that God comes in three "parts", as you have described above. They do not say that Jesus is "a part of God" or "a component of God", or "1/3 of the team known as God". Rather they say that Jesus is God, or even that Jesus is fully God, as I have often heard as well.
    Hello Tazarooni,

Christians believe that Jesus is God in the same way as a person believe that a human body is human, same as a human soul and a human spirit are also human - part of the one human being.

It's easy to understand that can be made up of three separate parts e.g a suit can be made up of trousers, a waistcoat and a blazer. That's not what people are arguing.
    The reason people take issue with the Trinity is because we're told that three different things actually are all the same thing (rather than all parts of the same thing).

So this is a false analogy really.
    I would understand your point if we are talking about different parts of the human body. However, the soul and spirit are not parts of the physical body of a person. We can't point to them like we can a leg or a finger and say, "Yep, there's my soul!" or "Do you see my spirit?" "Here it is, right there in my eyes!" Why? Because we don't know where exactly they are "attached" to us, like we know where exactly a trousers are in regard of a suit or a finger is in regard to the rest of the human body. Doctors can't get a dead body that has been dead (and not just in a coma, but rather dead dead) and surgically place their soul (or another person's soul) back in the body, can they?

I am curious... do you believe that you are only a body, and that you have no soul or spirit? There are some people who separate a human being into 2 "parts" - just body and soul(spirit), which is understandable. So, do you believe a person triune or just a body or soul + body or spirit + body or who exactly would define a human being?

Thanks.

Peace and God bless you
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    I've read enough of your rubbish threads now Christianlady. I have decided I'm going to fight back in the only way I know how; sinning.

For every one of your threads I read I shall sin hard and long, so much so that any evangelizing effect you might have will be counteracted.

Now if you'll excuse me - and even if you won't - I have a Golden Calf to polish.
    Hello Norton1,

I am not your judge. I believe God is my Judge as well as your Judge. So, whatever you do, that is between you and God, not me.

Regardless of what you do, it is your right to believe what you believe is true, same it is my right to believe what I believe is true.

Peace and may the God of love, forgiveness, mercy, grace, and peace bless you with His amazing grace that does not depend on me at all.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christianlady)
    Hello Tazarooni,

Christians believe that Jesus is God in the same way as a person believe that a human body is human, same as a human soul and a human spirit are also human - part of the one human being.
    Well no, a human body isn't "a human".
    A corpse is a human body, but it isn't "a human" unless it also contains the spirit/soul/consciousness or whatever you want to call it. Similarly, a conscious entity (with a spirit/soul) is not a "human", unless it resides in a human body. These are components of humans. It wouldn't be correct to say that any of them actually is a human.

By definition, a "part" of something cannot also be the entire thing itself.
    "Jesus is God" and "Jesus is a part of God" are conflicting ideas. Only one (at most) can be true.

I would understand your point if we are talking about different parts of the human body. However, the soul and spirit are not parts of the physical body of a person. We can't point to them like we can a leg or a finger and say, "Yep, there's my soul!" or "Do you see my spirit?" "Here it is, right there in my eyes!" Why? Because we don't know where exactly they are "attached" to us, like we know where exactly a trousers are in regard of a suit or a finger is in regard to the rest of the human body.
    This doesn't really seem relevant to me. The fact that we don't know how the spirit/soul/whatever interacts with the body doesn't change the fact that they're still different things. Each one is still a "part" of the human rather than the entire human.

I am curious... do you believe that you are only a body, and that you have no soul or spirit? There are some people who separate a human being into 2 "parts" - just body and soul(spirit), which is understandable. So, do you believe a person is just triune or how exactly do you believe a human being is?
    I'm probably closest to believing that a human can be considered as the sum of two "parts". I don't really know what the difference between a "spirit" and a "soul" is supposed to be.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Well no, a human body isn't "a human".
    A corpse is a human body, but it isn't "a human" unless it also contains the spirit/soul/consciousness or whatever you want to call it.
    Hello Tazarooni,

Christians believe that God is Spirit, because Jesus said so (John 4:24), and throughout the Bible, the Spirit of God is mentioned! Now, once I was wondering: "ok, so what's the difference between the Spirit of God and God?" After praying and asking God for wisdom through His Spirit I understood that the Spirit of God = God, because God = Spirit!
    Now, Christians believe that the Father (God) = God, and Jesus = God. Does that mean that God is three gods? Nope. To us, just as a human body = human as well as the human's spirit = the same human, as well as the human's soul = the same human, so most Christians believe that God being the Father, Son, and Spirit = the One and Only God.

Similarly, a conscious entity (with a spirit/soul) is not a "human", unless it resides in a human body. These are components of humans. It wouldn't be correct to say that any of them actually is a human.
    Do you think a person is a human being on earth with just a soul/spirit and not a body? Or, do you categorize that as a ghost or a spirit? (I personally don't believe there are ghosts, but just am curious about your answer.)

By definition, a "part" of something cannot also be the entire thing itself.
    "Jesus is God" and "Jesus is a part of God" are conflicting ideas. Only one (at most) can be true.
    That is why Christians believe that Jesus is God, same as the Father is God, same as the Spirit of God (the Holy Spirit) is God.

I believe my body is me, same as my soul is me, same as my spirit is me. I am not three people, but rather a triune human being.

This doesn't really seem relevant to me. The fact that we don't know how the spirit/soul/whatever interacts with the body doesn't change the fact that they're still different things. Each one is still a "part" of the human rather than the entire human.
    It is relevant to me, because a person's spirit/soul is not a different person than the person's body. Well, Jesus and the Spirit of God are not different gods than the Father.

I'm probably closest to believing that a human can be considered as the sum of two "parts". I don't really know what the difference between a "spirit" and a "soul" is supposed to be.
    My grandpa (Dad's Dad) agrees with you there. He thinks that a human being is the sum of 2 parts. I believe there is a difference though between a soul and spirit.

Peace and God bless you
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's all Paganism.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Honest question, why do you believe in an omnipresent omnipotent being?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    It's all Paganism.
    This.

Christianity clearly has 3 distinct Gods with 3 distinct forms. There's no way you can semantically phrase it in the English language to make me believe otherwise - and you can argue this is the problem. But you have no evidence to believe otherwise.

I remember one of my very scholarly Christian friends saying all forms/personalities/parts of God were present at the creation of the Earth, too.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    This.

Christianity clearly has 3 distinct Gods with 3 distinct forms. There's no way you can semantically phrase it in the English language to make me believe otherwise - and you can argue this is the problem. But you have no evidence to believe otherwise.

I remember one of my very scholarly Christian friends saying all forms/personalities/parts of God were present at the creation of the Earth, too.
    I think that the Christians at Nicea attempted to align paganism and Christianity once more, by theologically arguing over the divinity of Jesus, and how three can fit into one. Actually, this mathematical conundrum was the one the ancient Greeks and Egyptians had mulled-over for more than a thousand years. Pythagoras asserted that god is three and One, because 3 represents perfection and there can only be One creator. The ancient Egyptians deified Ramses as three gods into One, and before that the triune is expressed in the old Memphite theology.

The 3 represents the divine triune: Father, Mother and Son. This is why the Holy Spirit is feminine in Christianity, and even in Jewish mysticism. In Egypt the Holy Spirit was originally Re, but later it was confered to a feminine form: Isis. In Jewish mysticism Sophia (wisdom) is Isis, and Sophia is the Holy Spirit in Gnosticism. This is why the Holy Spirit is depicted as a dove in Christianity; the dove that came upon Jesus at the Baptism, according to Mark's Gospel. It was Sophia that came upon Jesus and bestowed wisdom upon him. Matthew invented the virgin birth to make Jesus divine before the baptism.

The son is the reincarnation of the father. Thus the son and the father are of the same substance. When Osiris had died he was reincarnated in his son Horus. Befroe the baptism Jesus is show to be frail as a lamb, because he has not yet been bestowed the wisdom. Horus was depicted as a frail child before his mum could impart the secret wisdom which gave him strength. Do you see the connections now?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I like to remember the explaination of the trinity in Nuns on the Run.

'God is like a shamrock. Small, green and split three ways.'
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    I think that the Christians at Nicea attempted to align paganism and Christianity once more, by theologically arguing over the divinity of Jesus, and how three can fit into one. Actually, this mathematical conundrum was the one the ancient Greeks and Egyptians had mulled-over for more than a thousand years. Pythagoras asserted that god is three and One, because 3 represents perfection and there can only be One creator. The ancient Egyptians deified Ramses as three gods into One, and before that the triune is expressed in the old Memphite theology.

The 3 represents the divine triune: Father, Mother and Son. This is why the Holy Spirit is feminine in Christianity, and even in Jewish mysticism. In Egypt the Holy Spirit was originally Re, but later it was confered to a feminine form: Isis. In Jewish mysticism Sophia (wisdom) is Isis, and Sophia is the Holy Spirit in Gnosticism. This is why the Holy Spirit is depicted as a dove in Christianity; the dove that came upon Jesus at the Baptism, according to Mark's Gospel. It was Sophia that came upon Jesus and bestowed wisdom upon him. Matthew invented the virgin birth to make Jesus divine before the baptism.

The son is the reincarnation of the father. Thus the son and the father are of the same substance. When Osiris had died he was reincarnated in his son Horus. Befroe the baptism Jesus is show to be frail as a lamb, because he has not yet been bestowed the wisdom. Horus was depicted as a frail child before his mum could impart the secret wisdom which gave him strength. Do you see the connections now?
    Beautiful.
    I am a fanatic for Egyptian mythology, but I've never seen the full spectrum of similarities to Jude-Christian mythology past the similarities between Horus and Jesus, Ka and Christian physical soul, after life, etc. I'm sure Christianity evolved from Egyptian mythology (amongst others!) and Canaanite mythology.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    Beautiful.
    I am a fanatic for Egyptian mythology, but I've never seen the full spectrum of similarities to Jude-Christian mythology past the similarities between Horus and Jesus, Ka and Christian physical soul, after life, etc. I'm sure Christianity evolved from Egyptian mythology (amongst others!) and Canaanite mythology.
    Just to tell you, I'm no Egpytian scholar and I'm sure there are similarities between Egyptian Mythology an Judeo-Christianity, but Martyn is know for being less than unbias - if not completely bias and rather un-source-able. I don't know that Christianity evolved from Egyptian Mythology, it might have done, but I would take that poster with a pinch of salt, if not just look into it on your own.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really don't get the point of this thread :confused: Forums are intended for discussion and I'm not sure how to discuss this? You have some crazy beliefs with zero evidence, well um, good for you? All I or anyone else can say is that we disagree with said crazy *******s but your beliefs are your own and hardly likely to change. If discussion was not your intention and you merely wanted to publicise said nuttyness then all I got from this was "Christians believe all kinds of crap". So pretty much the same as all of your other threads then.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    Just to tell you, I'm no Egpytian scholar and I'm sure there are similarities between Egyptian Mythology an Judeo-Christianity, but Martyn is know for being less than unbias - if not completely bias and rather un-source-able. I don't know that Christianity evolved from Egyptian Mythology, it might have done, but I would take that poster with a pinch of salt, if not just look into it on your own.
    Ah, duly noted; gotta maintain that skeptic, rational mindset atheists need, aha.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)

She spams this stuff on other forums too, trying to convert Muslims and Jews. The Student Room is just one of a lucky multitude :rolleyes:
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logi)
    I really don't get the point of this thread :confused: Forums are intended for discussion and I'm not sure how to discuss this? You have some crazy beliefs with zero evidence, well um, good for you? All I or anyone else can say is that we disagree with said crazy *******s but your beliefs are your own and hardly likely to change. If discussion was not your intention and you merely wanted to publicise said nuttyness then all I got from this was "Christians believe all kinds of crap". So pretty much the same as all of your other threads then.
    You're reminded to keep civil. This is the religion forum. That poster is posting on religious topics which are often the source of a lot of debate.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    You're reminded to keep civil. This is the religion forum. That poster is posting on religious topics which are often the source of a lot of debate.
    Uh huh. And there were no undertones in your post about Martyn :rolleyes: Both of us disagreed with posters promoting an opinion without any evidence (though I was possibly more direct in my disapproval).

With that said I'm happy to stay clear of this thread unless replied to.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    How did you separate spirit and soul?!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 23, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.