Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Obstacle courses- walls

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I enjoy running obstacle-course type races/mud runs (Spartan race etc.) and these seem to be growing in popularity as a nice alternative to road races and triathlons. Did Tough Mudder at the weekend and it was great fun, but I had so much trouble on the walls. What kind of exercises would help me to get over them (on TM they were 9 feet high), and what is the best technique to adopt? Lots of people (myself included) were relying on leg-ups to get over, but when I do one again I'd love to be able to get over unassisted. I'm 5'10, 62kg, not particularly strong but reasonably fit...is it brute strength which gets you over or is it more about technique?

Realise this is quite a niche question but I suspect there must be some people here with experience of assault courses who can advise.

Thanks
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suspect pull ups (not chin ups) would help. Pulls ups are the staple exercise of the armed forces and the police for the reason they actually help getting over stuff.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    run at the wall hard, jump, and plant your foot against the wall to give you a bit more spring, arms up and grab the top. Then pull up and roll over. use your feet to help you up if you lack the upper body strength for the last bit, although its not that hard especially at your weight.

this is what the army taught us, at 5'8" I could clear a 12ft wall unassisted in basic training.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c471)
    run at the wall hard, jump, and plant your foot against the wall to give you a bit more spring, arms up and grab the top. Then pull up and roll over. use your feet to help you up if you lack the upper body strength for the last bit, although its not that hard especially at your weight.

this is what the army taught us, at 5'8" I could clear a 12ft wall unassisted in basic training.
    This,
    and
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNNEhjxg-w0

It really is all technique, and if you like that kinda thing you should look up Parkour.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all (and especially for the video link). I'm crap at pull ups but can manage to pull my body weight up when I have a platform to stand on- the hard bit for me is the run and the leap. Probably because I'm worried about face-planting into the wall. I did consider Parkour before but I doubt I'd be any good- my balance is abysmal. I'll try and take the walls on properly at my next Spartan and see how I go. Thanks again.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I dID 12 MILES of tough mudder. ita damn boring

running on obstcles with bunch of fat people.

I would love to try NINA WARRIOR in Japan.
    there is Where humans belong
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Having a good jumping distance will help.

Squats, deads and olympic lifts help.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.