The Student Room Group

Criminology and Sociology -----> now Human Resources?

Right,

I graduated 2 years ago with a 2:1 Hons in Criminology and Sociology. I thoroughly enjoyed my degree, and hoped to get a job mildly related to it, for example working in the Courts. However with the government and their cut backs, it's proving incredibly difficult and my dream of working there is slowly slipping away. After waiting near enough 2 years, I have decided to try my hand at Human Resources.

My only concern is how on earth do I get the ball rolling? I have seen a bit about the CIPD, which seems to be a 'must have' or working towards if applying for any HR position. I don't want to waste more time and find I was suppose to do something else and etc; at the age of 26 . .time is starting to fly by and I want to get sorted.

Is there anyone here who works in HR, or has any good advice?

Thanks in advance.
bump. i am also interested
Anyone? . . .:smile:
Reply 3
Human Resources is easy to get into if you go in via the recruitment route. It is easy to get a job in recruitment.
Original post by DancinBallerina
Right,

I graduated 2 years ago with a 2:1 Hons in Criminology and Sociology. I thoroughly enjoyed my degree, and hoped to get a job mildly related to it, for example working in the Courts. However with the government and their cut backs, it's proving incredibly difficult and my dream of working there is slowly slipping away. After waiting near enough 2 years, I have decided to try my hand at Human Resources.

My only concern is how on earth do I get the ball rolling? I have seen a bit about the CIPD, which seems to be a 'must have' or working towards if applying for any HR position. I don't want to waste more time and find I was suppose to do something else and etc; at the age of 26 . .time is starting to fly by and I want to get sorted.

Is there anyone here who works in HR, or has any good advice?

Thanks in advance.

Original post by randomgeeza
bump. i am also interested

It should be a fairly straightforward move (barring the obvious challenges on the current employment market). Both the degree and the job are fundamentally 'person' related, so you should be able to draw a number of relevant points between the two. Just draw up a list of skills required for HR (job adverts and careers websites usually say what these are) and then see how you can give evidence of having those skills.
Original post by threeportdrift
It should be a fairly straightforward move (barring the obvious challenges on the current employment market). Both the degree and the job are fundamentally 'person' related, so you should be able to draw a number of relevant points between the two. Just draw up a list of skills required for HR (job adverts and careers websites usually say what these are) and then see how you can give evidence of having those skills.

Original post by ClassQuick
Human Resources is easy to get into if you go in via the recruitment route. It is easy to get a job in recruitment.

Thank you both :-) Will try and get the ball rolling asap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending