The Student Room Group

Higher Biology 2012 Discussion

How are we all feeling? The exam is soon!

Thought I would make a thread so we can talk about what we are aiming for and if we're struggling with anything in the course we can maybe help each other out - saves making a new thread for a question.

Any exam tips? Essay predictions that your teacher said?

Goodluck!! :biggrin: :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
SQA
OP
:bump:
Hello, I'm guessing that the majority of people are worrying about Maths, yet here I am, I am hoping for at least a B in Biology, but I can either really mess up or do really well I think. I don't know if this would go under the same topic but I'm studying Higher Human Biology.

Biology can be a really easy subject, easy but then it can be rather boring. I like it though to be honest. What's everyone else aiming for?
Reply 3
SQA
OP
Original post by JonathanHan01
Hello, I'm guessing that the majority of people are worrying about Maths, yet here I am, I am hoping for at least a B in Biology, but I can either really mess up or do really well I think. I don't know if this would go under the same topic but I'm studying Higher Human Biology.

Biology can be a really easy subject, easy but then it can be rather boring. I like it though to be honest. What's everyone else aiming for?

I'm hoping for a B too, and if i'm lucky then I would love to get an A lol :tongue:

Biology is way boring, however at the same time I find it interesting.
I hate that there's too many things that we have to learn throughout the whole year..:frown:

Although essays are a gift if you know them well :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Hoping for a B too, but yeah as the same time i secretly want at A...
But come to conclusion that learning you're essays helps so much! As when doing passpaper i am always about 58% before the essay's.... therefore getting 20/20 in them will bumb you up a good bit!
Reply 5
Honest answer? F****** s******* myself.
Original post by SQA
I'm hoping for a B too, and if i'm lucky then I would love to get an A lol :tongue:

Biology is way boring, however at the same time I find it interesting.
I hate that there's too many things that we have to learn throughout the whole year..:frown:

Although essays are a gift if you know them well :rolleyes:

Yeah they really can be a Gift or a curse :/ I might cry if Unit 1 isn't there this year and its Unit 2 and 3 (3 will definitely come up :frown: )
I'm hoping for an A as I am re-sitting this subject, but at this rate, since I am currently sulking over that horrendous maths paper, I probably won't be doing as good as I should be :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by daisyclouds
I'm hoping for an A as I am re-sitting this subject, but at this rate, since I am currently sulking over that horrendous maths paper, I probably won't be doing as good as I should be :frown:

Whenever I finish an exam I chuck all the stuff relating to it (books, past papers, notes) in a box so I don't see it when I'm supposed to be thinking about the next one. It's nice because I usually have a big pile of books on the table at the start, but by the third week there's only a couple. You should try it. :tongue:
Original post by mimx
Whenever I finish an exam I chuck all the stuff relating to it (books, past papers, notes) in a box so I don't see it when I'm supposed to be thinking about the next one. It's nice because I usually have a big pile of books on the table at the start, but by the third week there's only a couple. You should try it. :tongue:

Haha, I shall try :smile: but I'd prefer to burn my stuff if you wouldn't mind :P
Reply 10
SQA
OP
Original post by mimx

I should do that! Already finished with 3 exams, 2 more to go, WOO! :biggrin:

And guys, we'll do this exam good anyways! Goodluck!
Reply 11
Im currently trying to do a pastpaper for this right now and im looking at the multiple choice section and actually freaking out at how rusty i am?! I havent prepared myself as i thought i had a week after maths, freaking out not sure what to do D:
Reply 12
Ahah i'm having a minor stress over it, i have a conditional place at university based on getting a B in this exam. And this is the only subject i need. But if i can't get a B i shouldn't be doing the course i'm doing.... It's daunting to know that wednesday is make or break for my future :s-smilie:

Anything you guys reckon will definitely come up?? Yeah, fishing for some assistance :wink:

Original post by RFC1872
Honest answer? F****** s******* myself.

Don't panic! Good luck! :smile:
Original post by hootman
Im currently trying to do a pastpaper for this right now and im looking at the multiple choice section and actually freaking out at how rusty i am?! I havent prepared myself as i thought i had a week after maths, freaking out not sure what to do D:

Don't worry, Be Happy

(And hope they don't screw us with the essay questions ala 2006)
The only thing I know that always comes up is why does oxygen affect the rate of transport of ion etc and it's the same answer over and over again..

another question is why a range of pigments is needed aswell
Reply 15
SQA
OP
The only thing I know that always comes up is why does oxygen affect the rate of transport of ion etc and it's the same answer over and over again..

True! I always see that question coming
Also how many carbon atoms each molecule(whatever) have like 3C atoms on GP etc
Original post by SQA
True! I always see that question coming
Also how many carbon atoms each molecule(whatever) have like 3C atoms on GP etc

Yeah those are the main ones, but if they don't come up hoping it will be in an essay :smile:
Reply 17
Just done last years paper and got 80%.. felt it was fairly easy though so no reflection of what I'll get. Also, if last years was easy chances are this year will be hard. Sqa hate us :frown:!
Reply 18

Why does oxygen affect the rate of transport of ion?
ion uptake happens via active transport. active transport recquires energy (oxygen+glucouse=carbon dioxide+water+energy) thus more oxygen increases the rate of respiration

Quick Reply