The Student Room Group

Biology B3 Mark Scheme 21/05/12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Also, how do you think I did? I found the test reasonably difficult in parts.

1a)i) the graph peaks six times
ii) 2.5 minutes
b) Increased bloody supply supplies more blood to muscles so more oxygen is obtained, more respiration can take place, more energy produced that can be used by muscles. Also, increases amount of waste co2 taking away in the bloodstream to the lungs

2) a) I think I put something like: the rubber cap would be used to stop air from being lost and air coming in from the outside. Nitrogen used so they could measure the effects of the fuels and see how much useful biogases are created
ii) carbon dioxide
b)0.62
ii) increases amount of biogas/methane obtained. Ultimately, higher proportion of methane obtained
c) it may be difficult for him to obtain the fish fat or expensive

3a) aerobic respiration
ii) so that the gas bubbles can reach all particles of fusarium (or something like that)
b) because its in a solution
c) chicken has more energy that can be used for bodybuilding
d) more fibre/ less fat

4a) higher concentration of mineral ions in plant than soil, moving against concentration gradient so active transport should be used
ii) active transport
b) larger surface area for absorption
ii) mitochondria where respiration occurs. more mitochondria, more respiration, more energy produced for active transport
iii) starch can be broken down into glucose and used for respiration

5) a) urea mineral ions
b)I think I said: kidney filters blood, all substances that the body needs are reabsorbed into kidneys, glucose is then passed back into blood using active transport> called selective reabsorption
c) not all glucose reabsorbed, some stays in kidney where it is turned into urine

6a) (cant remember)
b) maltose too large to pass through yeast cell membrane
c) enzyme carbohydrase used to break down glucose for respiration
d) -stops enzymes from working -less maltose obtained

thanks! :smile:
Reply 21
what was the question for Q5 C?
what was the question for 2a??
Original post by Sarah_vely
what was the question for Q5 C?

it was the one about the diabetic person having glucose in their urine.

hope that jogs ur mind

Saviour
Reply 24
Original post by Saviour
it was the one about the diabetic person having glucose in their urine.

hope that jogs ur mind

Saviour

that question was annoying.
I put that ads reduces fermentation and reduce percentage of alcohol and use if maltose? Is that right because if there is less Ugarit used and less alchohol ten surely les fermenation?
I put that das reduces fermentation and reduce percentage of alcohol and use if maltose? Is that right because if there is less Ugarit used and less alchohol ten surely les fermenation?
I am doomed becoming a hobo instead of passing Biology.
Reply 28
Could you say that chicken had more energy than protein
Also- could you say: cellular aerobic respiration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

thumbs up to the person
Reply 29
For the mycoprotein question I put that mycoprotein had less cholestrol and less fat, would that be 1 mark or 2 marks?
reckon i've lost about 7 marks would that still be 100% ums?
Reply 31
Couple questions:

1a) If I said there are 6 clear different 'changes' in the graph, I couldnt think of the word 'peak' :frown:
3b) I said there were ai bubbles instead? (haha!)
4bii) Source of food for the plant?
5a) Urea and 'ions' rather than 'mineral ions'
5b) Do you NEED to say 'active transport'
6d) To ensure maximum profit and To ensure maxiumum amount of alchohol is produced.

Would I get the marks for any of those? :')
Thank you!
Reply 32
Original post by Dominic101
reckon i've lost about 7 marks would that still be 100% ums?

we've been debating that.. I would say just about...
Reply 33
Original post by Zigggyy.
Couple questions:

1a) If I said there are 6 clear different 'changes' in the graph, I couldnt think of the word 'peak' :frown:
3b) I said there were ai bubbles instead? (haha!)
4bii) Source of food for the plant?
5a) Urea and 'ions' rather than 'mineral ions'
6d) To ensure maximum profit and To ensure maxiumum amount of alchohol is produced.

Would I get the marks for any of those? :')
Thank you!

ZIGGGYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've concluded it now to be tradition to scream your name whenever i haven't seen you in ages :biggrin:
Reply 34

I think you do because it was 3 marks(I missed that point out :frown: ) saying it is filtered out of the blood(1) and then completely reabsorbed(1) by active transport(1)
Reply 35
Original post by g.k.galloway

ZIGGGYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've concluded it now to be tradition to scream your name whenever i haven't seen you in ages :biggrin:

ahahaha, you actually make my day y'ano! :') How are you? :')
Reply 36
ahahaha, you actually make my day y'ano! :') How are you? :')

fine thanks...apart from the small issue of the imminent english exams..! yourself?

we've got a new yr11 thread!!!!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2004366&page=78&p=37669978#post37669978
Reply 37
Original post by doritos123
For the mycoprotein question I put that mycoprotein had less cholestrol and less fat, would that be 1 mark or 2 marks?

I wrote the same, I think it would be 2 :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by g.k.galloway
fine thanks...apart from the small issue of the imminent english exams..! yourself?

we've got a new yr11 thread!!!!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2004366&page=78&p=37669978#post37669978

Awww, I know what you mean! But thank god english is over for me ;D ahaha!

Yeah, ohmygod, I saw, it moves SO fast, it's actually unreal! I leave for an evening and everyones through 6 pages! ahaha!

Oh, d'ya think you could look over my question please? :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by James3110
I think you do because it was 3 marks(I missed that point out :frown: ) saying it is filtered out of the blood(1) and then completely reabsorbed(1) by active transport(1)

Grrrr, it's so frustrating. :frown: I didn't know what to add for the extra mark, so repeated myself with a differet word order haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending