The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I have had my driving test two days ago, and failed it, I feel bad about it. Not about failing the test, but that I left many people disappointed, especially my instructor. Here's my story;
Right from the beginning I could tell there was something odd about my examiner, he was the only one with an orange fluorescent jacket instead of the usual bright green.
I could tell from his face he was a bit moody. We set off and things were going well. Roundabout, nailed it, pull over on the left, couldn't have done better.
We are on the 60mph stretch of road, I make sure to keep lust a little below it, we reach a road with 20mph limit so I make sure I stay on 20mph.
Ahead of us is a chicane where you are meant to give priority to oncoming traffic, I approach the chicane and attempt to go through it as there is no traffic at all, and the examiner slams on the brakes and says "Sign said you are supposed to give priority to oncoming traffic!". I was absolutely shocked! Was I supposed to stop or something? That was my 1st serious, then on a 4 lane roundabout I took the far right lane to go straight through, 2nd serious due to cutting the lane and ignoring road markings. Whoops, I'll try again on 9th of July.
Reply 61
failed test number 2 just now. feel like crap. meh.
Reply 62
Failed my third today!!
I failed 7 times! If I can pass, anyone can. I know how you are all feeling, but honestly, that moment when the examiner tell's you that you have passed, is worth the money, hard work and the wait!

To people who have got more than 2 majors on their first test, I would reccommend that you take a month more of driving lessons before you book another test. Otherwise, the test is just a waste of money. Trust me, I know.

The main piece of advice I can give to you is to keep calm and be positive. On my 8th test, I finally decided I was going to pass. I said to everyone, "I am going to pass this". Have the attitude of "watch and learn"! Haha. Worked for me! Wish I had that attitude on my first test!

Anyway, I have no regrets and happy I kept going!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 64
Just failed my first test today, been crying all day!
Got 1 major, 6 minors. The major was because I was going along a narrow country road that I have never been down before, the examiner tells me to turn right on the upcoming roundabout so naturally I began indicating to turn right. At this point I wasn't sure whether to move to the right, as normally you would, but there were no road markings or signs or other cars, and it was so narrow, so I assumed it was a one way road and I moved over to the right. Found out at the end that it was a normal two way road, and if there had been traffic on the other side we would have collided.
Absolutely gutted, not what I need just before exams :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 65
I just failed today too, i had 4 majors and 4 minors. Drove down a bus lane, pulled out infront of car on a roundabout and indicated left whilst turning right. thats a pretty grim test!
Reply 66
11 minors and 4 majors , I've been having 2 hour lessons once a week for one year!!!
Reply 67
Original post by Brighten
Failed for the third time today. I came to the test really positive, thinking that after all this time I would finally get my license (I started learning in 2009 and had to re-sit my theory test as it expired). Within the first 5 minutes the instructor told me to slow down as I was going 35ish on a 30mph road that I had presumed was 40mph. After that I was really disappointed and lost concentration, did a few shuffly gear changes and indicated late. Then I speeded again on a 30mph stretch which joined a national speed limit road. At the end I had 1 serious fault and 9 minors. SIGH. So frustrating as I know that I can drive a lot better than people I know who passed first time. I must have close to 150 driving hours now. Booked yet another test in 2 and a half weeks.

I have had loads of hours too!!! I have to rebook my test soon but i reckon it will be a few more tests till i actually pass.
Reply 68
Failed yesterday. Started the test at 1:35 and was absolutely immaculate; got 7 minors (all observation) and 1 major for not stopping at a stop sign. It was on a hill and I was travelling one click above 0mph (so 2mph) but there were no cars and just turned out. What a bugger. Even the instructor said it was extremely harsh considering the rest of the drive!

Booked next for 28th May which isn't too bad, but man it sucks to fail. Puts you in such a bad mood.
Failed again this time for being too cautious :frown: Was doing 30 along a 60 in my defence it was really bumpy but the examiner was very nice and said I was a good driver otherwise.
Failed my test for the first time today, got 6 minors and one major :frown: re booked it for the 28th of June, ages away but the nearest date available.

The examiner was pretty rude at the end though :frown: and after I did the major fault he acted like he didn't want to be there.
Reply 71
I finally passed today after 5 times, this being my 6th. Honestly it's all down to luck n in all my test I hardly ever got any minors only one major wud fail me n today I passed with only 3 minors. u guys might feel down now but once u pass u forget bout everything and just feel relieved. Anyway just wanna say good luck and don't lose hope, u'll get there like I did :smile: btw took me a year and 3 months! Lol.
congrats if you have passed!
i passed in december... but the most important thing is to ease into driving slowly.. dont go and drive everywhere just because you passed! you are most likely to have an accident as a newly qualified driver.. and especially if you are male *cough cough!* driving alone can be scary too.. i took my bro along for the first few trips alone.. he knows nothing about driving..but would always keep an eye out for me when i was trying to pull out, he was also good company, so i wasnt alone.. although i was responsible for the driving!.. i passed my test in december (2 minors whoop, and one was a silly thing at a roundabout where someone shot out so i had to stop harshly!).. ive still not got much further than a 10 or 20 mile radius! though that is purely because i havent needed to, not that i can't!
just remember to relax..

Original post by pellejema
Mmm you're right :smile: Males pass first time every time. It's must be so sweet for you men being perfect awesome drivers :frown:
No they don't.

oh and as to this.. how many males do you know who have crashed compared to females? coz i can name abotu 2 females who have crashed since passing and several (yes several and in some cases one person multiple times) males who have crashed...

i rest my case.
Reply 73
Failed my test 2 days ago at 12:06 @ Kings Heath
At the first island lol crazy i know

Booked my next test at south yardley at10:14 this time
I just failed my 3rd test- got 1 minor for indicating off mini roundabouts (which is totally subjective as any other instructor would have minor'd me for not indicating, 3 for hesitation- but he didn't mark it as serious- and 1 major for getting mixed up between zebra and pelican crossings- I stopped at a pelican to let pedestrians cross when I shouldn't have.
Very frustrated as it was a stupid mistake.
Original post by thompsonic7
I just failed my 3rd test- got 1 minor for indicating off mini roundabouts (which is totally subjective as any other instructor would have minor'd me for not indicating, 3 for hesitation- but he didn't mark it as serious- and 1 major for getting mixed up between zebra and pelican crossings- I stopped at a pelican to let pedestrians cross when I shouldn't have.

Hrash because I bet most (not all) drivers would have stopped and allowed the pedestrians to cross. However, are majors only for dangerous mistakes which can cause problems on the road. I would have thought your major was a minor, but I'm not a examiner so what do I know:colondollar:

Anywho, give it another stab and hopefully you will pass on the fourth attempt, good luck with your driving:cool:
I've failed three times now... 4th time lucky maybe?!
Original post by amyshamblesxx
I've failed three times now... 4th time lucky maybe?!

What have been the minors and majors over the three tests?

Unlucky about the Champions League qualification spot as well.
Original post by thompsonic7

Wow that's so harsh! I would've thought that was a minor at most it's like they're teaching you to be a rude driver. Good luck next time!
Original post by pinda.college
What have been the minors and majors over the three tests?

Unlucky about the Champions League qualification spot as well.

First test - for some stupid reason I put the car into neutral when I was waiting at some traffic lights, went to pull away and the car rolled back so the examiner dual braked me. Think I got 3 minors on that test.

Second test - 5 minors, and a major for driving on a dual carriageway when it had been raining so the roads were wet and I left the normal amount of stopping distance instead of a bit extra to account for the wet roads

Third test - my instructor wanted to come with me to try and assess where I was going wrong, I'd never driven with someone in the back before and I stalled twice when I tried to pull away at a junction, the examiner said "remember you've got extra weight in the car" and it made me feel really anxious throughout the test, ended up stalling two more times over the course of the test so that got me a major.. think I had 6 minors on that aswell.

I think I keep failing because of silly mistakes due to nerves so I'm just going to have to try and calm down and relax next time, it is hard though.

& yeah totally gutted about the Champions League, ah well Europa here we come...

Latest